Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Hows the Vulkan Backend Coming Along?
03-20-2016, 12:45 PM
Hows the Vulkan Backend Coming Along?
Just wondering, hows the progress on the Vulkan Backed and if you will support dual source blending on Android Phones?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2016, 07:32 PM
RE: Hows the Vulkan Backend Coming Along?
The experimental Vulkan backend has now been merged. It is very incomplete, has stability and rendering issues, and does not do buffered rendering yet, but it's a start and performance is looking very, very promising. I'm confident now that it will solidly beat OpenGL even on desktop.

Dual Source blending isn't as important for PPSSPP as it is for Dolphin, but we'll use it where it's available.
03-20-2016, 08:43 PM
What are the requirements to use it because when I switch to it and restart ppsspp,ppsspp says:

"Failed initializing graphics. Try upgrading your graphics drivers and directx 9 runtime."

I use Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1 and GTX750TI gpu and my gpu drivers are almost the latest(I use 364.43 and the latest are 364.51)

Using PPSSPP on Windows 7 x64 SP1
i7 4771 3.5Ghz,GTX750TI,16GB RAM

Batch iso <=> cso converter
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5384
Save Game\States Manager
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5516
03-21-2016, 01:10 AM
I tried running the dev Vulkan backend on my Shield TV and it crashes the emulator. I'm running on Android Marshmallow with the latest Vulkan drivers included. The device is able to run the Nvidia Vulkan demo pretty well. Also, the display for PPSSPP gets reverse landscape once changed to the Vulkan backend. Setting the display to reverse backend in options doesn't do anything.
03-21-2016, 02:30 AM
It doesn't work on SHIELD yet and we're not yet sure why. Although, you first need to change to C++ EGL init to even get to it initializing correctly.

We're likely doing something wrong that the validation layer isn't detecting, is my guess, but it's hard to say. We aren't using as many semaphores as one working demo I saw, but still need to try more things...

As for Windows - you need to install a driver that supports Vulkan. Right now on desktop NVIDIA, this means beta drivers.

https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver

The 750 Ti is supported. But be aware these are beta drivers and not stable ones.

-[Unknown]
03-21-2016, 05:30 AM
Well, I'm looking forward to testing the Vulkan backend on my Shield TV. It looks to have some great potential.
03-21-2016, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2016 08:14 AM by Henrik.)
vsub, Actually, the latest supported NV drivers do have Vulkan support (very recent) so it should work.

I'm going to add some more detailed error reporting...
03-21-2016, 01:47 PM
Ah, they ought to update https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan then...

-[Unknown]
03-22-2016, 02:05 PM
This page mentions that the latest driver is a WHQL (mainline) driver, but I guess they could make it clearer:

https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver
03-22-2016, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2016 06:10 PM by zxcvbad.)
Hah, didn't know ppsspp already got Vulkan renderer, nice. I haven't yet seen DualScrBlend implemented by mobile GPU vendors, however we could cooperate to push ARM to raise it with their product management team. Won't be likely implemented in a short-term but who knows, after all they have raised buffer_storage.

Oh and I like someone to explain them why is that we need DualScrBlend, looks like they have doubts about it, pretty much the same as in the past Tongue
http://bit.ly/1RxfsLs
03-22-2016, 10:46 PM
@Henrik, just to report that Vulkan beckend now work on AMD GPU's, with latest builds. I don't know what was the issue and why it didn't worked for me, but now it does. Anyway, I hope soon Vulkan will work with Buffered Rendering, as some games fail to render graphics with non-buffered on Vulkan (I guess it's because Vulkan is just implemented).

PC Specs:

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 (Sapphire Vapor-X)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.9GHz (OC)
RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz
MB: ASRock AB350 Pro4
03-22-2016, 11:23 PM
zxcvbad, I suppose that we have to use EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch there, which I tried to use in GLES, but there was some bug in it. I don't actually own a device that supports it (heh), so we just disabled it for now...

Anyway, that should theoretically allow for "dual source blending" on Mali. I assume it ought to be usable on Vulkan too, although I'm not sure how we detect support for it...

Yeah, FBOs are a bit complicated to implement, we just haven't gotten them working yet. Wanted to get drawing working first, there are lots of parts to FBOs - blitting, depal, depth copies, etc.

-[Unknown]
03-23-2016, 11:37 AM
Unknown, there's a list of Vulkan features exposed on gpuinfo, dualScrBlend is there, I wonder if potentially it could be used for tracking extensions availability once they gets implemented. Also I've heard GFXbench 5 is going to report Vulkan, it may include a features list. I've got S7 Exynos variant so could run some code on it
03-23-2016, 11:58 AM
So it needs a lot of work yet, right? I made some testing, was expecting a lower CPU usage, for example, but looks the same. My processor runs God of War Ghost of Sparta with 5% usage anyway. ^^ I'd like to test it on mobile phone, but mine isn't compatible, is too old.

Phone: Galaxy J7 J700M @1.7GHz OC

PC: Intel Core i5 3470 3.2GHz/10GB DDR3 1333MHz/NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 192-bit/Windows 10 Pro x64
03-23-2016, 02:40 PM
Btw list of Vulkan features on Mali-T880 driver: http://bit.ly/1pyEHXh