Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Galaxy S7 Frame Drops
03-13-2016, 08:27 PM
Galaxy S7 Frame Drops
PPSSPP Version 1.2.1
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

I found a strange issue in Trails in the Sky on the Galaxy S7. On the normal map, the gameplay runs smooth and the frame rate stays above 30 FPS. However, entering the game's menu (not the PPSSPP menu) results in an FPS drop, along with stuttering audio quality.

The strange thing is this does not happen on my Nexus 5, which has inferior hardware. I'm also using the exact same Graphics settings between the two devices. Is this a compatibility issue?

These are best shown through videos. Unfortunately, clickable links are disabled in this forum, and the video file is too large (even after webm conversion). So to view, just paste the below into your browser.

Galaxy S7: webmshare.com/K7WYb
Nexus 5: webmshare.com/MnwAL
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2016, 03:04 AM
RE: Galaxy S7 Frame Drops
Is your S7 the Exynos version? I ask because that version seems to have to some graphical driver issues with certain emulators.
03-14-2016, 03:33 AM
Unfortunately, I have the SD 820 version.
03-14-2016, 12:36 PM
I have issues too.

In PPSSPP, Epsxe and Drastic.

All have slowdowns and jankiness.

Do you think it's a driver issue??
It's horrible. Sad
03-16-2016, 02:18 PM
Yeah, it's more than likely a driver issue. You can email the developers of these emulators and maybe they can figure out a work around for better performance or wait for Samsung to push an update to fix it.

It's disappointing to see an awesome phone hampered by poor drivers. I hope the LG G5 does not have this problem too.
03-16-2016, 06:13 PM
If your experiencing issues in DraStic then it is probably not a GPU driver issue. DraStic does not use the gpu except for the optional filters.
03-16-2016, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2016 07:22 PM by iamnotkurtcobain.)
Well, I'm using a filter.
The Dot filter I got from a Thread in the Drastic Forum. I use the filter on my S5 too. And it's 100% smooth there. No drops and great quality.

I guess the G5 will be better (Snapdragon 820 not Exynos).
05-31-2016, 12:41 PM
I used PPSSPP Version 1.2.2, recently build.
My Galaxy S7 edge also have Frame Drops issue after a little time running game.
But when I find occur this phenomenon, Frame was recovered after selecting Galaxy S7 Recent button.
Ex) Monster Hunter Portable 3rd : 20FPS -> 30FPS
But soon become Frame Drops again.
Is this also graphical driver issue?
Would you let me know if there are any solution to avoid Frame Drops issue.

My Galaxy S7 is SnapDragon 820.
Thank you.
06-02-2016, 01:23 AM
Tyome that sounds like a throttling issue with your phone lowering the performance ofnthe cpu/gpu in order to keep it from probably overheating. You can try to lower your settings so that hopefully it will not tax the phone as much and hopefully it will keep heat from building up too much, but if the phone was badly designed with that chipset you might just be out of luck for any long playing sessions.
07-22-2017, 11:39 PM
Same story here with Xiaomi Redmi 4x. Anywhere in the game (Trails in the Sky) run smoothly, over 30 fps, but in the menu (start button) the lag is horrible, the sound is stuttering, fps dropped to 5-7. I tried everything for fix it, all settings change, other game rom etc, but nothing help. I'm using v1.4.2 PPSSPP. Need fix for this.
12-04-2017, 01:00 PM
olá pessoal, desculpem pois não falo seu idioma, preciso de uma ajuda pois meu galaxy s7 edge trava muito com o ppsspp pro. trava com o jogo tomb raider, mid night club, need for speed, god of war, prince of persia. etc....
existe alguma configuração que melhore? ja tentei muitas.
12-04-2017, 07:30 PM
(12-04-2017 01:00 PM)rafinha3d123 Wrote:  olá pessoal, desculpem pois não falo seu idioma, preciso de uma ajuda pois meu galaxy s7 edge trava muito com o ppsspp pro. trava com o jogo tomb raider, mid night club, need for speed, god of war, prince of persia. etc....
existe alguma configuração que melhore? ja tentei muitas.

Não é permitido falar outro idioma a não ser inglês nessa área. Existe uma área em português: https://forums.ppsspp.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=22

Mas respondendo a sua duvida: use a nova versão 1.5.3 e selecione a API Vulkan e você terá um desempenho melhor.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro