Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Error Starting PPSSPP (Android TV - Asus Nexus Player)
02-22-2016, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2016 05:46 PM by jehuty224.)
Error Starting PPSSPP (Android TV - Asus Nexus Player)
I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place or if this issue has been covered. I have tried several search terms and haven't been able to find anything.

Before the update on Feb 14, 2016 PPSSPP was running beautifully on my Asus Nexus Player (Android TV set top box) and after updating it will not launch. This is the message it displays 3 times before stopping:

"Error Starting PPSSPP

The native part of PPSSPP for ABl x86 is missing. Try downloading an official build?"

I have tried installing other builds by sideloading apks and I still get the same issue. I even tried a factory reset and it produces the same error. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2016, 11:37 PM
RE: Error Starting PPSSPP (Android TV - Asus Nexus Player)
Try to side load the previous official 1.1.1 playstore build and see if that fixes that issue.
02-24-2016, 12:37 PM
I've tried loading several previous versions and apks from the PPSSPP website. I'm completely stumped.
02-25-2016, 01:21 AM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2016 01:27 AM by Burgers.)
I wanted to chime in. I have the exact same problem with my Nexus Player. Just like jehuty224, I can't sideload.

EDIT: I just tried uninstalling, wiping cache, and then installing the 1.1.1 apk. I think I'm back in business.
02-25-2016, 02:50 AM
I tried again, no luck. Which cache did you wipe? I assumed the cache under "system storage"?
02-25-2016, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2016 10:11 PM by Burgers.)
I'm running a custom ROM and ran the 'wipe cache partition' option from CWM recovery.
02-25-2016, 11:55 PM
Ah, thanks. My next resort was going to be rooting because I have no idea what else to try.
03-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Quite strange but Nexus Player use an Intel proc X86-compatible and common android builds are done to be ARM-compatible ... so not sure it could work without creating a special new build.
03-02-2016, 03:17 PM
It worked fine until the update. I just don't understand why it doesn't work when I try to go back to older versions.
03-02-2016, 04:35 PM
(03-02-2016 03:17 PM)jehuty224 Wrote:  It worked fine until the update. I just don't understand why it doesn't work when I try to go back to older versions.

I think that a google play clean install of a previous ppsspp version is more reliable because the apk provided should be compatible with your hardware ...

But keep in mind that removing a newer ppspp version to install an older one need also a clean remove of all datas stored to configure settings before installing the new version.

(Please sorry for my bad english)
03-03-2016, 12:45 PM
I tried factory reset and did not have luck. Does that not completely wipe those folders? I'm confused by your first paragraph.
Thank you for your help.
03-28-2016, 06:06 AM
(03-03-2016 12:45 PM)jehuty224 Wrote:  I tried factory reset and did not have luck. Does that not completely wipe those folders? I'm confused by your first paragraph.
Thank you for your help.

Just want to bump this thread again. I've tried using the latest build from the buildbot, and still have the same issue. Like people have said before, earlier versions worked fine.
03-28-2016, 06:29 AM
Hmm, it sounds like somehow including x86_64 may have impacted this...

PPSSPP should work on x86 devices (including the Nexus Player) even in the latest builds, and I'm pretty sure I've seen logs indicating it DOES, for other devices.

It'd be great if you could try some older builds from before February 14, to see when this started happening.

If my theory is right, v1.1.1-760-g07a1670 will work, and v1.1.1-771-gb284023 won't.

What version of Android do you have on the device? Is it Marshmallow yet?

-[Unknown]
03-28-2016, 12:20 PM
It's broken by update permission-model for marsmallow wont load x86 native part... no idea why success only in this platform .

Latest work is old in december 2015 v1.1.1-370-g99fe098 after buildbot won't load x86 32bits.
05-04-2016, 02:20 AM
Any update on this? I gave the app access to the storage in the permissions settings and it still fails to start.