Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
07-18-2013, 09:59 PM
RE: Star Ocean: Second Evolution
Good evening. First time posting, so forgive me if I leave something that is needed.

Version : v0.8.1-632-g05dfd27
Tryied with various builds but they all have one issue or other. The most playable build I found was this one. The only issue I run into was that when there's a FMV the screen goes black, you can't skip it, but you keep hearing the voice acting/music on the background, when those end, you go back to the game normally.

Disabling "Buffering Rendering" I can watch the FMVs and skip them, but as a result when the game goes should go back to the normal graphics, the screen goes black and nothing I do make the image come back. In this case I need to activate "Buffering Rendering" again, stop the emulation and restart the game, or load a Save State so the image comes back.

I could copy the log from the debug console so I took a printscreen. Also here's a save file near where this happens. Just go one screen down and move a few steps further down to trigger the FMV.

[Image: log1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2013, 11:28 PM
Using sniperk's save, with version v.0.8.1-192-g925b3bc and Bufferred Rendering activated I can see the CG normally and play before that.
07-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Did you try 642 ? there is some FMV black screen fix .
07-19-2013, 01:36 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2013 02:12 AM by Sniperk.)
So far v0.8.1-642-g8f84907 seems to have done the trick. I'll play a few more hours and see.
Only things I noticed so far are that it takes longer to load before a battle, the world map is really slow (but it can be my CPU too in this case) and sometimes the room the characters are in gets "cut" before and after a text box appears. I'll take a screenshot next time I find one of these.

As for the FMV > normal sprite transitions from the first post everything seems to be ok.

Edit: As someone else mentioned before when entering the Hoffman Ruins, the emulator crashes. That happened with both v0.8.1-642 and 632. The only way I found to pass that point was to load a save on the distribution v0.8.1, pass that point, go back and save again, and reload on 642.
07-25-2013, 06:35 PM
My problem with this game is that the text boxes is there but it's all black....
07-26-2013, 09:28 AM
(07-25-2013 06:35 PM)Salya Wrote:  My problem with this game is that the text boxes is there but it's all black....
Use the Buffered Rendering.

My English is not perfect. Sorry if some sentences are incorrect.
07-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Last night i took my copy of my old save game and threw it into the emulator and loaded it up. I was at the end of the game.

After beating indalecio(i refuse to call him gabriel... the original psx name sounds so much cooler). the game will do go back to the sprite based ending where they discuss what will happen next, when the ending video is supposed to play, the emulator completely crashes to the point where i have to reboot my computer making me unable to get any type of debug log. this is on the latest build from the bot.
08-10-2013, 09:40 AM
If this can be played until the end, why not move it into playable?
08-10-2013, 10:52 AM
why the games are not playable if they are playable, but are playable if sfageas decide so... Castlevania too are the opposite
08-15-2013, 09:35 PM
(08-10-2013 09:40 AM)Razorback Wrote:  If this can be played until the end, why not move it into playable?

its not really fully playable. i dont think anyone has fully played through it. I used a save game that i had beaten on the psp to skip ahead a bit. the ending crashes the computer completely, i wouldn't say playable just yet.
08-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Oh, I see. I thought it was already fully playable except for the afforementioned crash issue in page 2 =\
08-16-2013, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2013 10:12 PM by mickL39.)
No, the game is not fully playable.

Major bugs are:
- Sometimes the character/monster flight in fight and it is impossible to down again
- The crash issue mentioned in page 2

And some minor bugs :
- The dialog box does not always update on time

EDIT : With the last 0.9 version, the radar map in fight is correct.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

My English is not perfect. Sorry if some sentences are incorrect.
08-17-2013, 03:02 AM
i can't get out of minae cave, when i get out the screen turns black, anyone can help me?
08-22-2013, 01:57 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2013 02:07 AM by the_randomizer.)
Star Ocean only shows text and black backgrounds on 0.9.1! WTF? Even cycling through the buffering modes, no dice Sad All I get are black screens and text boxes, something is broken.

It used to be turning it off or on fixed it, but on 0.90/.91, it no longer shows up.

CPU - Intel Core i5 3570 3.4/3.8 GHz (Turbo Boost)
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 660 2 GB GDDR5
RAM - 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333
OS - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
HDD - 1 TB Western Digital 7200 RPM
08-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Hey guys! Star ocean second evolution now works perfectly with new update! Battle and world map problems are fixed , i play on galaxy note 2!
I still can't make make sprites visible on SO first departure if you have an idea to wich settings would fix it please tell me!