Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Star Ocean: First Departure
08-29-2013, 02:06 PM
RE: Star Ocean: First Departure
The flying characters in battle thing - it doesn't happen in JPCSP, right?

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2013, 05:51 AM
Things are going a lot better, after a few minutes of testing. The main character is now visible for me, but I'm having the same issue as
the_randomizer, with characters visible behind objects that should obscure them, like a wall.

My tests weren't extensive, but so far, it seems like the floating problem is gone. Got ambushed twice, and everything happened normally.
09-04-2013, 06:27 PM
(09-04-2013 05:51 AM)DemiFiend Wrote:  Things are going a lot better, after a few minutes of testing. The main character is now visible for me, but I'm having the same issue as
the_randomizer, with characters visible behind objects that should obscure them, like a wall.

My tests weren't extensive, but so far, it seems like the floating problem is gone. Got ambushed twice, and everything happened normally.

I do get the occasional floating characters, but it's pretty infrequent. The sprite layers however, are still a problem. Sprites should be behind objects like counters, pillars, trees, not in front of them. Big Grin

CPU - Intel Core i5 3570 3.4/3.8 GHz (Turbo Boost)
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 660 2 GB GDDR5
RAM - 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333
OS - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
HDD - 1 TB Western Digital 7200 RPM
09-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Infrequent? Do they still fly all the way up slowly? This is with the latest git?

-[Unknown]
09-06-2013, 04:39 AM
Hi, I myself just tried playing this game on the latest ppsspp 0.9.1 and I have the same issues.I have read through the forums and many of you guys are pointing to the card makers. I can help you guys confirm if its a Nvidia/Ati issue tomorrow when I have some time after class.I have a ATI 7870 and a Nvidia 9800gt that I can use to test the Non-buffered Rendering option. I can also test it with Intel graphics my laptop, but it sounds like that has already been done and confirmed working. If it turns out to be an ATI only problem, i'll try to get logs and stuff or whatever I can find to help.
09-06-2013, 04:49 AM
If you do, make sure to use the latest dev build found here:

http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

as it will have the latest fixes and changes made to the emulator. At the time of writing this the latest windows build 0.9.1-580.
09-06-2013, 06:10 AM
Well, the characters being missing is because we don't support the stencil effect the game is doing. This is known.

They're never visible now, unfortunately, due to recent fixes. They were not visible on ATI cards before.

-[Unknown]
09-06-2013, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2013 08:40 AM by Chubaka.)
The characters are missing again even with the buffering thing turned off on the latest build >:
Here's the screenshot. http://puu.sh/4klcz/7124a25b4a.jpg
09-06-2013, 11:02 AM
hi, i'm using the latest version of ppsspp v9.1 (released on sept 2013), the character won't show up after the first opening game (where it's in the house at the village for the first time).

i've tried using rendered buffered with turn off, and using of each one options that available, but still it's getting same bug.
09-06-2013, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2013 06:16 PM by mickL39.)
(09-06-2013 11:02 AM)nyxzryu Wrote:  hi, i'm using the latest version of ppsspp v9.1 (released on sept 2013), the character won't show up after the first opening game (where it's in the house at the village for the first time).

i've tried using rendered buffered with turn off, and using of each one options that available, but still it's getting same bug.

It doesn't work again with the latest dev version.
Try with the v0.9.1-499 version. It works well with me.

My English is not perfect. Sorry if some sentences are incorrect.
09-07-2013, 05:51 PM
0.9.1-628 (released today) works well. Characters are visible in and out of battle. Also the battle screen is full screen now. I haven't seen any floating characters in battle, but I havent been in too many encounters yet.

Characters still appear in front of buildings and such that they are supposed to be behind.
09-07-2013, 08:02 PM
(09-07-2013 05:51 PM)samtheman Wrote:  0.9.1-628 (released today) works well. Characters are visible in and out of battle. Also the battle screen is full screen now. I haven't seen any floating characters in battle, but I havent been in too many encounters yet.

Characters still appear in front of buildings and such that they are supposed to be behind.

I just tried with that same version and 0.9.1-641 and neither allows me to see the characters in either buffered or non-buffered rendering. They are still invisible in towns and dungeons.
09-07-2013, 10:02 PM
I think it does work with the software renderer, although it's horribly slow.

-[Unknown]
09-08-2013, 04:28 PM
hmm maybe its a problem with different graphics cards? I have an AMD. Also running it on a mac using wine if that makes a difference. I'm definitely not using software rendering. I can get it to 300fps to grind up my characters.

So far the game has been playing very well. I made it to Roak 300 years in the past with no problems. I've had the emulator crash twice on me, but it doesn't look like it was anything specific in the game that caused this. Seemed to just happen randomly.
09-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Well, it's great that it's working. If you happen to get a stack trace of a crash I'm always interested in seeing them (though some crashes are driver problems even...)

Could definitely be different on different cards.

-[unknown]