Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[PC win7 x64] smoother framerate
10-16-2015, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2015 12:38 PM by bankai.)
[PC win7 x64] smoother framerate
When I play God of War Ghost of Sparta, the framerate isn't locked at a fluid 60fps. The counter does say it runs at 100% (fps & cycles), but the actual framerate fluctuates.

Here is a screenshot: it ways 47/47 (100%) in the counter.. weird right?

[Image: oac0if.jpg]

I can imagine this is because of limitations to the actual PSP hardware.. but is there a way to make it run smoother?

For example; which setting for the "Emulated PSP CPU clock" is recommended for it to run smooth? Or are there any other settings which can be enabled to straighten out the framerate? When I set it at 500mhz (instead of 333mhz, which is default I thought for GOW games) nothing really happens.

Another game like Dead or Alive Volleyball has small hitches in framerate, like microstuttering. Panning across the island you notice it best: small hiccups. I can't seem to resolve this issue; I have Vsync enabled, no speedhacks. Tried the 60fps framelimiter off and on, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance!

My system specs:
Intel i5 3750k @4.2ghz
Geforce GTX780
8gb DDR3
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500gb
Windows 7 x64

edit: more info & screenshot
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2015, 02:21 AM
RE: [PC win7 x64] smoother framerate
I was having the same problems you describe, and found that turning off vsync solved them all. Speaking of vsync, the dynamic method used in pcsx2 works great. Something that I'd like to see in ppsspp.
10-18-2015, 05:50 AM
If I remember correctly,you need at least 600Mhz to have constant 60fps

Using PPSSPP on Windows 7 x64 SP1
i7 4771 3.5Ghz,GTX750TI,16GB RAM

Batch iso <=> cso converter
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5384
Save Game\States Manager
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5516
10-18-2015, 06:37 AM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2015 12:40 PM by bankai.)
Thank you both, I will give it a try!

- Disabling Vsync didn't help, it just added tearing to the game. I tried enabling Vsync through Nvidia control panel; also the adaptive Vsync. Didn't help, didn't improve smoothness.

- Increasing CPU clockspeed to 600+mhz (I have it set @650mhz at the moment) does seems to help some: framerate is now "60/60 100%" everywhere (instead of sometimes dropping to a weird number, like in the screenshot I first posted). But.. it's not smooth. Even though the counter keeps a steady 60 fps, it stutter and chugs.

Here you see the fps in the same place as post 1, now "60/60 100%":
[Image: 2ihkvx2.png]

Anyone..?
10-18-2015, 02:13 PM
I see more aliasing in the second pic. Did you lower the res or turn off fxaa? Also, how high is your texture scaling? Setting it to 5x caused some hitches for me, so I set it to auto and it smoothed out.
10-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Yeah I turned off FXAA; I thought it created a "haloing" effect around some characters, but it didn't. That glitch is caused by something else.. I think the rendering @higher resolution causes this (similar to some game I play with Dolphin).

I set Texture scaling to x3, but the experience is the same with auto setting.

Strange thing is, when I had an AMD GPU back in the day (a HD7950) fps was smooth, using RadeonPro.. Now nothing seems to resolve the hitches. It's very disappointing.
10-18-2015, 09:11 PM
UPDATE:
Ridge Racer is a perfectly smooth 60fps.. so it seems it really a GOW related issue?
10-18-2015, 11:19 PM
I just tried the game and am also getting inconsistent framerates, no matter what setting I change. According to [Unknown] on this thread forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=2631&page=45 that's just the way it is, even on a real psp.

Other than that I don't get any stutters or anything though. Maybe you could try deleting your configuration and trying the default one.
10-19-2015, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2015 01:46 PM by bankai.)
(10-18-2015 11:19 PM)zombone Wrote:  I just tried the game and am also getting inconsistent framerates, no matter what setting I change. According to [Unknown] on this thread forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=2631&page=45 that's just the way it is, even on a real psp.

Other than that I don't get any stutters or anything though. Maybe you could try deleting your configuration and trying the default one.

Thanks for your reply. That would be a real bummer.. Can a developer / administrator confirm this?
10-19-2015, 01:57 PM
[Unknown] is one of our main developers Wink

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
10-19-2015, 05:11 PM
Okay! Thanks for the help, then it's just the way it is Smile
10-20-2015, 08:18 AM
Wink RE: [PC win7 x64] smoother framerate
(10-18-2015 02:21 AM)zombone Wrote:  I was having the same problems you describe, and found that turning off vsync solved them all. Speaking of vsync, the dynamic method used in pcsx2 works great. Something that I'd like to see in ppsspp.

Really turning of the Vsync is really helpful Heart
10-20-2015, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2015 04:29 PM by bankai.)
Doesn't help me at all. All I get is tearing.
Forcing Vsync from the Nvidia controlpanel (with triple buff.) does seem to help a little - but fps just aren't smooth.
10-21-2015, 12:18 AM
The game runs at an inconsistent frame rate even on a PSP (can be confirmed using plugins or cwcheat, etc.) Actually, it sometimes runs faster than 60 fps, which is needless (on the PSP definitely, and also on desktops / mobile.) This is why the "limit to 60 fps" hack exists - it makes the game faster with very little accuracy loss, but it's technically incorrect.

The higher you set the virtual Mhz, the more the game can get done in one second. This makes it inaccurate, but allows you to get 60 fps.

There could be external reasons for the stuttering. For example, something might be interfering with the final draw in a way that doesn't delay PPSSPP (e.g. your driver), so we can't tell the display is behind. Does it still happen if you lower your quality settings and render resolution?

Games already do their own double buffering, so there ought to be no reason to enable triple buffering externally. Might just add additional latency to the rendering.

-[Unknown]
10-23-2015, 08:13 AM
(10-21-2015 12:18 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  There could be external reasons for the stuttering. For example, something might be interfering with the final draw in a way that doesn't delay PPSSPP (e.g. your driver), so we can't tell the display is behind. Does it still happen if you lower your quality settings and render resolution?

Games already do their own double buffering, so there ought to be no reason to enable triple buffering externally. Might just add additional latency to the rendering.

-[Unknown]

An external reason? I used several WHQL drivers through the years (now on 358.50 WHQL) and always had the same result with GOW, emulated with PPSSPP. It still happens when I set it to 1x IR, no AF and no postproc. filters. It's like microstuttering, although the counter says it's @100% 60fps supersteady.

Alright thanks, I disabled the vsync and triple buff. through the Nvidia panel and just use the vsync emulator-setting. Don't notice any improvement though, compared to the Nvidia vsync + TB.