Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
$450 Bounty: 60fps Patch for Armored Core Last Raven Portable
06-01-2020, 12:34 AM
$450 Bounty: 60fps Patch for Armored Core Last Raven Portable
Checked to see if bounties were against forum rules and could not find anything, if they are please let me know!

Not sure if this qualifies for its own thread but...!

With PCSX2 being unable to play Last Raven with hardware scaling and Last Raven Portable being locked at 30fps, there is no way to definitively play LR via emulation as of 2020.

Therefor I am issuing a $450 (USD) bounty to the first person or persons(divided reward) that can issue a working 60fps patch for Armored Core: Last Raven Portable.

There is also be a smaller reward ($80) for anyone who can produce definitive proof that it impossible for such a patch to exist for this or any other portable AC game.

I have limited technical knowledge when it comes to CE and hexadecimals however I know this is no simple task.

I stand before this community today asking to rally together and crack this gem!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2020, 06:31 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2020 07:56 AM by LunaMoo.)
RE: $450 Bounty: 60fps Patch for Armored Core Last Raven Portable
Made one long ago, but if I didn't yet, I will never release it because it's unfinished. Here's a quick sample how broken it is:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/noid63k3o...1.mkv/file
Note that FPS fluctuates because of recording using internal PPSSPP recorder, the video is still smooth also because of that so it doesn't matter.

The annoying running animation was something that made me stop working on it(it looks AND sounds retarded), but there are more things broken with it, some background animations like clouds are flying too fast, some other than-walking sounds might also be broken and the cutscenes which are running on game engine also ends too quickly, I did not even tried fixing those due to running animation that I could not fix before loosing interest.
Prefer to show a video than release a patch since I regret releasing older WIP patches just to prove that something is possible. They still end up being used which effectively breaks experience of the users that try them and the existing patch makes people lazy to try and do their own, it also places a box over people's imagination when they try to re-use existing patch instead of starting from 0 effectively stopping all progress.

There's no such thing as "impossible", everything can be done given enough time and will, because not counting the simple variable changes in games that supported both and just locked to 30 fps for release version, 60 fps patches are achieved by modyfying the game code and there's no hard limitation stopping a more complex patch from being created. So if someone proves to you it's impossible, he would be wrong.

At the same time you have to understand that people will not bother patching a game which requires a lot of work and effort with more work being added constantly as whenever you patch something to work at 60 fps, something's also breaks and needs to be solved separately. A change between 30 and 60 fps is generally not worth such effort in an outdated game and that time for most of us would be better spent taking off nostalgia glasses and playing a more modern game.

Edit: Also forgot about it, but I made a patch to remove blur for this game which makes the presentation of the game clearer than FPS patch on it's own would, it's in the game's thread.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
06-01-2020, 08:26 PM
RE: $450 Bounty: 60fps Patch for Armored Core Last Raven Portable
Thank you for the detailed reply LunaMoo, I am very appreciative!