Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CGI cutscene aliasing/low resolution
08-31-2015, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2015 08:21 PM by sandbox424.)
CGI cutscene aliasing/low resolution
Cutscenes in games don't seem to be upscaled after increasing render resolution, making them look extremely aliased on my 27" 2560X1440 monitor. The FXAA post processing shader has little to no effect on them either. Is there a way to upscale or add anti aliasing to cutscense?
(Edit) I just noticed that the cutscenes actually look less aliased when the render resolution is at 1x native. What's up with that?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2015, 10:32 PM
RE: CGI cutscene aliasing/low resolution
By cutscenes you probably mean movies. Even if they often were made in game engine and look similar to the rest of the game they are actually pre-rendered so no suprise that rendering resolution has no effect on it.
If you even see a difference by changing resolution it's just caused by screen scaling filter which by default blurrs everything up when you mix small rendering res with high display res.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
09-01-2015, 01:01 AM
(08-31-2015 10:32 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  By cutscenes you probably mean movies. Even if they often were made in game engine and look similar to the rest of the game they are actually pre-rendered so no suprise that rendering resolution has no effect on it.
If you even see a difference by changing resolution it's just caused by screen scaling filter which by default blurrs everything up when you mix small rendering res with high display res.

so is there a way to enhance the cutscenes/movies?
09-01-2015, 01:35 AM
(09-01-2015 01:01 AM)sandbox424 Wrote:  
(08-31-2015 10:32 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  By cutscenes you probably mean movies. Even if they often were made in game engine and look similar to the rest of the game they are actually pre-rendered so no suprise that rendering resolution has no effect on it.

hmmm I think nope, unless the cutscenes are rendering in Real Time (God Eater games, Dissidia games, Kingdom Hearts: BBS etc.)

Chill and Go with the flow ~d[o_o]b~

@YT - youtube.com/user/SuperHack333/videos

Specs:
MDL: Dell G7 15 7590 (Laptop)
OPS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750h @ 2.60 Ghz ~ 4.50 Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 @ 1455 Mhz ~ 1590 Mhz
RAM: Micron Tech. 8GB DDR4 @ 2666 Mhz (4x2)
09-01-2015, 04:36 AM
(09-01-2015 01:35 AM)cybercjt Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 01:01 AM)sandbox424 Wrote:  

hmmm I think nope, unless the cutscenes are rendering in Real Time (God Eater games, Dissidia games, Kingdom Hearts: BBS etc.)
Well that sucks. I'd hate to have to keep changing back to 1x render resolution just to get rid of the aliasing. It's really weird how that works