Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PPSSPP on Android x86 CPUs
08-31-2015, 04:29 AM
PPSSPP on Android x86 CPUs
So I've read the FAQ and came upon the gist that PPSSPP is fast on x86 CPU's and meh on ARM ones.

I'm wondering what this means for Android phones with an intel atom processor, like the new Zenfone 2.

Does PPSSPP run native x86 code and use their x86 JIT on these kinds of phones, so they run faster on them? Or is it still the same old ARM-emulated-on-x86? It would really help me on my next phone purchase since half the time I'm gonna be playing psp games on it. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2015, 05:44 AM
RE: PPSSPP on Android x86 CPUs
The real issue is graphics card performance and graphics drivers. I'm not sure that Android x86 devices have much better drivers than ARM devices.

Also, I think x86 devices are typically paired with graphics cards that don't get as great performance or have more graphical glitches.

Nevertheless, PPSSPP does jit x86 and run native x86 code on x86 phones, yes. It also runs native ARM code on ARM phones.

-[Unknown]
08-31-2015, 01:12 PM
Hm, should probably alter the FAQ, it's a bit outdated. As [unknown] says, some x86 Android devices are a actually quite a lot slower than the fastest ARM or ARM64 devices.
04-11-2016, 03:40 AM
It seems like ppsspp(x86 android) locks frame at 50fps.

I have low performanece cherry trail tablet, but don't think that is a reason.
Whether playing light game(runs always 50fps) or heavy game(lower frames) get the frame up to 50fps, never goes up 51fps or higher.

It's very annoying and I hope this would be fixed.
04-11-2016, 07:26 AM
That most likely means your device itself is locked to 50 fps - PPSSPP can't do better than your device's screen can display.

-[Unknown]