Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PPSSPP - More descriptive settings
03-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Information PPSSPP - More descriptive settings
Hi there PPSSPP is a fantastic emulator and its made a lot of progress very quickly but one very minor thing that bugs me about it is the very non descriptive settings.

For example "Buffer Rendering" what is it? what will happen if I disable it? Will I gain or loose speed from disabling it? Now I already know that disabling it will give be higher FPS in exchange for more broken graphics but the emulator doesn't say that anywhere. Describing what each setting does will make the emulator easier to use for people who are not familiar with emulation.

Im not sure what would be the best way to implement this from a UI design stand point but I think its something to take into consideration.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2013, 08:58 PM
RE: PPSSPP - More descriptive settings
What buffered rendering does is simply not possible to explain in a menu item name, there's not enough space Tongue It's just very technical.

I'm not sure either what the best solution is but I agree with your idea in principle, settings should be friendlier.
03-12-2013, 09:37 PM
(03-12-2013 08:58 PM)Henrik Wrote:  What buffered rendering does is simply not possible to explain in a menu item name, there's not enough space Tongue It's just very technical.

I'm not sure either what the best solution is but I agree with your idea in principle, settings should be friendlier.

Hmm maybe something like "disable for speed increase (may cause graphical glitches)". Not that sentence exactly but just a very short sentence that roughly explains the effects if enabled or disabled.

In the Dolphin emulator settings were explained in a similar way. It made it very easy to configure the emulator even if you never used it before. Smile
03-12-2013, 09:47 PM
you could use a help page in app, a bit like fpse. ie under help then a discription of the different settings and what they do, that way you could include in detail what each given function does..Smile
03-12-2013, 10:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 10:01 PM by VIRGIN KLM.)
Short phrases like these could do the job:
"faster but inaccurate"
"faster, less compatible"
"faster, may cause glitches"
"faster, breaks stuff"

IMO, stuff like that would get fixed efficiently only after porting Dolphin's UI.