Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A regression of Japanese font [Resolved]
02-19-2015, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2016 11:37 AM by hiro1.)
A regression of Japanese font [Resolved]
Resolved in git build - v1.2.2-881-g22cef33.

The two screenshots (v0.9.7 and v1.0) are from the Japanese version of Lunar Silver Star Harmony, using the same font and tested on Windows 7.
The v0.9.7 one is fine but the v1.0 one shows some unnecessary underscores which should just be spaces.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2015, 01:35 PM
RE: A regression of Japanese font
Hm, the 0.9.7 screenshot is so small I can't see what it should look like?

But yeah, that looks like a bug indeed.. Thanks for reporting.
03-17-2015, 04:16 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2015 04:17 AM by hiro1.)
Since the latest version still has the problem, I re-upload what v0.97 looks like.

08-27-2016, 03:59 AM
(02-19-2015 01:35 PM)Henrik Wrote:  Hm, the 0.9.7 screenshot is so small I can't see what it should look like?

But yeah, that looks like a bug indeed.. Thanks for reporting.

The current version 1.2.2 still has the bug. This regression shouldn't be that difficult to fix. Do you have any idea?
08-27-2016, 10:41 AM
While this might appear as regression it's likely it was just working accidently or due to different settings in the past as that's really just a very common upscaling issue. Most games will have minor glitches like this when using any other rendering res than native and it's also usually look worse with japanese fonts that tend to be very tightly packed due to amount of characters they have to store. That underline is really just a top of a character right below "empty" character.
If you want more info about this problem, read this post by [Unknown] which has very graphic explanation of it.

As of now to fix it properly:
- just use x1 rendering res.

To hide it while using higher rendering res:
- force nearest texture filtering(~ imo bad thing to do;p),
- usually higher texture scaling helps on it's own ~ at same or higher multiplier than display res,
- texture replacements in latest versions of ppsspp can also be used to correct it even in cases when automatic scaling fails.

In 2D games that does not have much 3D objects like this upscaling postprocessing shaders like 5xBR can also be used with nice results since with that graphic is rendered at x1 res and the output is then scaled. This has both advantages and distadvantages as it's much faster than high render+texture res and scales everything including things not affected by texture scaling, but looks worse on stretched graphics(especially with "pixel art") and you can see pattern changes/pixel travel on moving objects.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
08-28-2016, 09:12 AM
(08-27-2016 10:41 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  While this might appear as regression it's likely it was just working accidently or due to different settings in the past as that's really just a very common upscaling issue. Most games will have minor glitches like this when using any other rendering res than native and it's also usually look worse with japanese fonts that tend to be very tightly packed due to amount of characters they have to store. That underline is really just a top of a character right below "empty" character.
If you want more info about this problem, read this post by [Unknown] which has very graphic explanation of it.

As of now to fix it properly:
- just use x1 rendering res.

To hide it while using higher rendering res:
- force nearest texture filtering(~ imo bad thing to do;p),
- usually higher texture scaling helps on it's own ~ at same or higher multiplier than display res,
- texture replacements in latest versions of ppsspp can also be used to correct it even in cases when automatic scaling fails.

In 2D games that does not have much 3D objects like this upscaling postprocessing shaders like 5xBR can also be used with nice results since with that graphic is rendered at x1 res and the output is then scaled. This has both advantages and distadvantages as it's much faster than high render+texture res and scales everything including things not affected by texture scaling, but looks worse on stretched graphics(especially with "pixel art") and you can see pattern changes/pixel travel on moving objects.

Thanks for your detailed explanation.
I've tried x1 rendering res and just a few underlines disappeared but many of others are still there. See the pictures x2.jpg and x1.jpg.
Is it possible it is more than an upscaling problem? (I tried everything you'd mentioned above except texture replacements but it never works.)

Besides, upscaling issue should happen to non-empty characters as well since they also have other characters below them. But in this game I only see empty character has this issue (I can post more examples). I would think it is likely the empty character is not properly dealt with. Do you have any idea about this?

08-28-2016, 01:22 PM
Try the latest git build - v1.2.2-881-g22cef33.

-[Unknown]
08-29-2016, 08:19 AM
(08-28-2016 01:22 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Try the latest git build - v1.2.2-881-g22cef33.

-[Unknown]

Great! The problem has been solved!