Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Some questions about texture replacement.
08-31-2016, 10:41 PM
Some questions about texture replacement.
Which formats are supported?, obviously PNG is as that is the format for dumped textures, but i was wondering if it's possible to use DDS or TGA for replacements, as those formats have faster access times than PNG, in exchange for usually bigger file sizes, which leads me to my other question.

Would it be feasible to support loading replacements from zip files?, I'm used to working with Zip files for unrelated modding (or more accurately, id's PK3 format, which is a renamed zip), this would help with sharing large texture packs.

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2016, 03:07 AM
RE: Some questions about texture replacement.
Currently it only supports PNGs. Other formats are possible, but someone needs to implement it.

Zip probably is not a great trade-off for performance. You probably wouldn't see better performance or decompression compared to PNGs, I don't think. There are other methods of compression that might help more.

If you're after an uncompressed zip, just to have a single file, that probably wouldn't be an issue for performance. Again, someone would need to implement it.

-[Unknown]
09-01-2016, 02:27 PM
RE: Some questions about texture replacement.
Thanks for the response, the zip file would be just to have a single file, i guess i'll wait until someone can implement it or i learn how to do it myself Tongue.