Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anime dubbed into American English
02-05-2015, 11:58 PM
Anime dubbed into American English
I have a question for anime fans that are not native English speakers.
What is your opinion about animes dubbed into English?

Unfortunately, the anime popularity has declined during the last years in my country and consequently we rarely get more animes dubbed into our language. Sad
Since I know nothing of Japanese, now I have to watch the English version, but I am terrible in listening to English (and any other languages Huh ).
I have watched some episodes in English and I found them weird because what the characters say is different from what is shown in the subtitles. Both say the same thing, but with different words.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2015, 06:58 AM
RE: Anime dubbed into American English
Well hello Squall, English also not my native language. I only watched duel master and inazuma eleven anime dubbed on television(the only anime that i can remembered at this time). So, i don't know any other anime dubbed in English as i like to watch anime in Japanese with english sub.

Yeah, in my country anime rarely show on television now. Plus, i prefer to watch online and in Japanese(i don't have any knowledge or understand japanese) with english sub. My english is not very good though but i can still understand the story. Now, i know some of japanese language and my english is improving a little.

So, i suggest maybe you should watch anime in japanese with english sub? well it just my opinion.

P.S: I dont hate anime in english dub though, it's just i'm feeling weird watching anime in english dub because i grow up watching anime in japanese with english sub(well actually i watch my first anime on television in my native language and first anime online in japanese with english sub). Well everyone have their on taste and opinion. Hope we can talk about anime. Smile
02-06-2015, 07:28 AM
Depends on what you prefer. Cool

For me Jap dubs are much more better Big Grin

Sometimes few english dubs are not exactly the same in terms of what the line/scene actually meant compared to the original Jap dub counterpart. Undecided

Chill and Go with the flow ~d[o_o]b~

@YT - youtube.com/user/SuperHack333/videos

Specs:
MDL: Dell G7 15 7590 (Laptop)
OPS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750h @ 2.60 Ghz ~ 4.50 Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 @ 1455 Mhz ~ 1590 Mhz
RAM: Micron Tech. 8GB DDR4 @ 2666 Mhz (4x2)
02-06-2015, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2015 09:13 PM by ZeroX4.)
let me use naruto as example

1st i watched japan version with english subs
then i watched few english episodes in english on cartoon network

and now what strikes me 1st is fact of i get used to jap naruto voice even so many scenes are just so god dam JAPAN and characters movements gesticulations and even face mimic even with english dub almost make u wish it was in japan or even more it just feel it should be japan and u get feeling something is missing

im not really anime fan or whatever for me its just cartoons i watch them from time to time but what is important to me is the content

animes are usually made with this kind of effort that every piece counts to make them 1 whole value of entertainment

and pulling 1 thing out of it and replacing with another is like lets say imagine Mario Kart game with mussic from lets say Tekken

does it sound bad? nope will it sound good? well even if u like music from tekken you will feel something is just not right here

but regardless of that i just dont give a $#!t i just wanna watch it and see whats there
but to stay with series for a long time or keep attention to it and enjoy all it have to offer it should drag ur attention with everything and having a feeling something is not right just dont help

other story is when u are a fan then it can be even no sound at all and you will still watch it

so in my opinion answer to your question is dependable on what type of audience is person who will answer it

i watched whole dragon ball saga dubbed to french which then had polish voice lector (im from poland) and i dint feel the pain even so i seen many scenes are so much japanese

but that was just cause i was interested in story and not in content

but as for naruto or recently what i seen attack on titan which both i seen with japan voice acting and english subs and then with english dubs are for me mario kart with tekken music in it kinda thing

its not bad i like that music i like that game i still can play it but i just feel something is not right here

if u wanna me to put it even more simple

its like every 1 have one or few songs we like and we like or even love all sounds of in it but sometimes in that 1 god damn song there is 1 part where you just miss something like extra or lauder sound of something

you dont hate it because of that its just even so u enjoy it you just feel something is not right here

here is perfect example of what i mean

this anime is named basara i did not watched even a single episode of it

i did see this clip like 5 years ago by accident and i just love it idk why idk what it have in it but its just perfect
(i did see basara intro and run in to this video while was searching for better quality of that intro)

from what i seen on youtube this guy is called masamune or wtf whatever

and in this anime which is japan voice acting he have many lines in this english with japanese accent and it just work so much god dam good

and so long story shorts i just seen it 1 time then i had in mind that PUT YA GUNS ON

and so i ended up searching it again on youtube and adding to favorites video named PUT YA GUNS ON FOR 10 MINUTES

now imagine seeing that episode with this very short line made by english dubd voice acting

do you think it would have same magic in it or would it be able to draw ur attention?

Try AntiMicro graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad/controller.
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=12513
or http://www.x360ce.com
02-06-2015, 09:13 PM
Most anime dubs to English are dumbed down to the intelligence level of most American's here in the US. Plus some ideas that are fine in Japanese culture make little sense to Americans who have no idea of it's concept. It's a shame really, but sometimes the proper translation of the Japanese language in the anime are more descriptive. They try to convey the same idea, but it looses something in the translation. That's why I prefer subtitles.

Even then though, some Anime subtitles are dumb down to the reading level of most American's as well. But some keep to the original translation which fits better.
02-26-2015, 08:48 AM
it's all about habits perhaps, but for me i prefer Japan version
why?

because any english dub seems a little bit off , it doesn't sound nice and seems less expression either in games or animes
03-05-2015, 06:41 AM
so in my opinion answer to your question is dependable on what type of audience is person who will answer it
i watched whole dragon ball saga dubbed to french which then had polish voice lector (im from poland) and i dint feel the pain even so i seen many scenes are so much japanese
but that was just cause i was interested in story and not in content
but as for naruto or recently what i seen attack on titan which both i seen with japan voice acting and english subs and then with english dubs are for me mario kart with tekken music in it kinda thing