Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PC version - Symlink Savedata to actual PSP memory card
11-27-2014, 04:46 AM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2014 05:23 AM by organic io.)
Question PC version - Symlink Savedata to actual PSP memory card
Hey, I tested out PPSSPP on PC tonight, and as a longtime PSP user I'm pretty impressed with it!

Then I got a crazy idea: what if I could somehow symlink my SAVEDATA folder from PPSSPP's memstick folder, directly to the real SAVEDATA folder on my PSP's memory card (when it is plugged in through a card reader).

This would allow me to be able to play the same games on both the real PSP, and PPSSPP, keeping the same save files, without ever having to copy the files manually.

Cool huh?

Well, I have had mixed results with it, some games work and others don't, I'd like to know why.

Also, it wasn't cool at first when I tried it because I accidentally deleted all my savedata on my PSP Confused

I downloaded this little program, Dirlinker - dirlinker.codeplex.com, which is a tool to make links like this. It has 2 places to put your links. "Link location", and "Link to". ....

WARNING:

Unfortunately if you get these mixed up, it will erase all your savedata on your PSP memory card. Yes I'm the idiot that actually did this, and lost several weeks of Gran Turismo progress. Oh well. Gotta save up for that Ford GT again..

I would highly suggest backing up any save data whether from PPSSPP or your PSP before trying this.
Anyway, the correct way to set it up is:
For "Link Location", put the PPSSPP Savedata folder
For "Link to", put the PSP's Savedata folder

if "link location exists", probably want to put "delete it"... Make sure you backed up your PPSSPP saves first.

Then click Go!

It successfully creates the symlink.

Now, when you PSP memory card is inserted into the computer, PPSSPP will point directly to it, still thinking that it is looking at its own Savedata folder

Now, here's the problem. Some games work and some games don't, I've only tested 2 so far so I have no idea of percentages here.

First game I tested with it: N+. I made some save progress on the PSP, loaded it up on PPSSPP, and it did not have the "continue" option. However when I hit "new", it obviously shows the profile I just created.
So I tried creating a new game, playing the first level set and saving again (In PPSSPP). Then I put the card back in the PSP. It was able to load it up and see my PPSSPP progress! So I played another set, saved it, took it back to PPSSPP,and.... Same thing.... Saving apparently only works 1 way on this game with this method.

Game # 2: Blast off
I played a couple levels, saved, and then put the card back in the PC, loaded it up in PPSSPP , and it saw my progress. Awesome! Played another level on PPSSPP, put it back in the PSP and it saw my progress.

Very cool!!!!

So, this will be handy for when I want to switch between the two (PSP at work, PPSSPP while sitting comfy in the chair at home)

But I wonder, why did the saves not work for N+ ?

In the meantime, I'll try some other games and try to get some stats for what games or what types of games work and which don't.

Peace
-Scott

So I did a little more testing, here are my results so far:

rocket racing - works both ways
i must run - works both ways (saves your scores)
chessmaster: the art of learning - works both ways
fia wrc - appears to work both ways, though I was too impatient to complete any challenges to confirm for sure

I chose 2 games of newschool (rocket racing & I must run) which use autosave, and 2 olderschool games which use "regular" save/load methods.

All worked!

So that's 5 working and 1 not so far, I wonder if N+ is just a quirk. Too bad because it's one of my favorites and I'd love to play it on both devices. But I'll live Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2014, 09:21 AM
RE: PC version - Symlink Savedata to actual PSP memory card
For Gran Turismo, make sure you're using the latest version of PPSSPP. I don't know if it's fully fixed yet, but I know there were things fixed for that game's savedata at one point.

Also, I always recommend making backups of savedata periodically. You can lose it even from the PSP memstick going bad.

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply