Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Annoying newly compiled opening bug? & Debug
10-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Annoying newly compiled opening bug? & Debug
Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but any compiles I make causes the emulator on startup to either give me a "PPSSPP has stopped working" crash, but after I press "cancel" on that it opens normally and I can use it no problem. The second problem is if I don't get the crash, the emulator re opens itself after a few seconds ~5-10s or if I press "exit" it will re open immediately. Every time I open the emulator it's either these 2 scenarios.

It doesn't matter if I make any changes to the code or if I just re compile a fresh new git pull, it still happens. But if open a new committed release on buildbot I don't have this issue. Feels it's just on my end, I'm using VS2013 Express.

Last, I have a question regarding debugging. It doesn't seem to catch this particular issue, or nothing happens when I get a simple freeze in a game (sound starts crackling). Intended? I'm in debug mode of course ^^
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-21-2014, 01:39 AM
RE: Annoying newly compiled opening bug? & Debug
Not sure what's going on with that crash. If you're compiling in Debug mode (menu at the top should say "Debug" not "Release" in Visual Studio), and you run in Debug mode (press F5 to run), it should catch any crash. That might find it.

Make sure you've updated. Maybe it's a working directory issue, and unable to find the assets files.

As far as game crashes, it depends on the game crash. If the game locks up or accesses a bad address, this won't necessarily go to the debugger. If you've got "fast memory" on (it is on by default), it will crash to the debugger, but you'll be in jit code... it will be very hard to debug.

If you want to debug a game crash, I recommend turning off "fast memory" and turning off "ignore bad memory access" or whatever it's called under Debug. Then it will still not crash to the debugger - but it will pause. Open the Dissassembler to see, and you'll be able to debug (Visual Studio not required, and this works fine even in Release mode or from the buildbot.)

However, some things do crash PPSSPP to Visual Studio, including for example bad drivers or bad commands to them, and Visual Studio is still a great way to debug those. Just not so much game code.

-[Unknown]
10-21-2014, 02:41 PM
I see, I could make a new installation of everything. I recently got access to all VS versions through school (DreamSpark Premium).

Before compiling I have selected Release x64. I haven't actually tried to compile to 32 bit. And yes, I ran in Debug mode(F5) in hope that it would catch that opening bug.
I use the same working directory as shown in the dummies guide (C:\programming\ppsspp).

I will try again after I have done next week's exams Smile
10-22-2014, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2014 04:39 PM by tywald.)
I solved the opening bug Smile. All I had to do was to reinstall VS2013, sweet! I took the opportunity to upgrade it too. I'm not sure what the benefits are with Professional or Ultimate versions of VS compared to Express, regarding the PPSSPP project. I assume I just have more tools for the MVC to play with or something.