Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PS4 Controller/DualShock 4 not working via Bluetooth on Mac
10-17-2014, 04:10 AM
PS4 Controller/DualShock 4 not working via Bluetooth on Mac
Greetings,

Does anyone know how to get PS4 controller/Dualshock 4 gamepad to work in PPSSPP in bluetooth mode? The controller works in USB cable mode just fine, but not wirelessly.

When I pair it wirelessly (bluetooth) to my mac, I know it paired successfully as the light is on steady. Further, when I open ControllerMate app, it shows that all keys are responsive in bluetooth mode. However, once I open PPSSPP, none of the keys work anymore wirelessly... Sad

I've searched the whole internet and couldn't find answer to this... There was a similar thread on this forum but it didn't provide any workable solutions.

Am guessing this is a PPSSPP support issue? since the PS4 controller works in ControllerMate via bluetooth.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2014, 08:43 AM
RE: PS4 Controller/DualShock 4 not working via Bluetooth on Mac
Could be ppsspp problem. Just use wire and you will be fine.

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 OC @ 3.0GHZ stock cooling
Ge-Force GTX 260 896mb
4GB RAM Corsair 1066mhz
Windows 7 X64 ultimate
10-17-2014, 10:16 AM
Well does it work in any other SDL joystick game/app? Try SDLJoyTest or something like it
10-17-2014, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2014 12:37 PM by alertipo.)
Well I will give Joystick Mapper a try and report back the status here.

I am not confident it will work though. Since it works in ControllerMate in both USB and BT mode and all keys were mapped the same way, to me it's not so much a key mapping issue but something within PPSSPP that prevents it from recognizing ANY keys at all from DualShock 4 in BT mode.

In any case, I will post results later.

(10-17-2014 08:43 AM)DarkBolo Wrote:  Could be ppsspp problem. Just use wire and you will be fine.

Yeah the "saving grace" is that usb mode works.

But I am hooking up my PPSSPP on my MAC to my big screen via HDMI, and now if I have another wire coming out of my MAC to my PS4 controller, it kinda limits how far you can sit from the TV.

p.s. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd looks AWESOME in HD and on big screen! And I really like the subtle improvements in layout in the PS4 controller (compare with PS3/DualShock 3) - which is why I would love to get this to work, AND in BT mode.
10-17-2014, 01:43 PM
(10-17-2014 10:16 AM)Bigpet Wrote:  Well does it work in any other SDL joystick game/app? Try SDLJoyTest or something like it

Confirmed Joystick Mapper 1.1.2 doesn't work wirelessly with DS4. It's in their faq.

I haven't tried SDL joystick but I doubt it will work as it is dated pre DS4 release.

Thus far the only app that recognize key presses from DS4 in BT mode is controllermate. I'll try to map the keys next - but I am not hopeful that PPSSPP will work.
10-17-2014, 01:57 PM
(10-17-2014 01:43 PM)alertipo Wrote:  I haven't tried SDL joystick but I doubt it will work as it is dated pre DS4 release.

What are you talking about? Programs don't contain drivers for all devices that's the job of the Operating System. Programs ask the standard interfaces of the OS. What I wanted you to do is test the SDL program because that's all we use in PPSSPP as well for Linux and OSX.
10-17-2014, 06:12 PM
(10-17-2014 01:57 PM)Bigpet Wrote:  
(10-17-2014 01:43 PM)alertipo Wrote:  I haven't tried SDL joystick but I doubt it will work as it is dated pre DS4 release.

What are you talking about? Programs don't contain drivers for all devices that's the job of the Operating System. Programs ask the standard interfaces of the OS. What I wanted you to do is test the SDL program because that's all we use in PPSSPP as well for Linux and OSX.

Nevermind what I said. I got everything to work now in BT.

Controllermate is the answer.