Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 3.6 Average
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
08-27-2014, 05:15 AM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2014 05:17 AM by [Unknown].)
RE: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
What happens is that the game copies the rendered scene (the background) into system memory, and then does stuff with it, and then displays it.

On the PSP, this is quite fast. Not only is it only 480x272, but games get direct, unencumbered access to the video memory and can copy like it's nothing.

On a desktop or Android, this is not fast. If you're using 2x render, it's copying 4x as much, and at 3x render, it's copying 9x as much (well, sampling at least, hopefully copying less than that.) So that already makes it slower. But the other problem is, the graphics APIs don't give you direct hardware access. So the copy operation ends up being a lot slower even at 1x.

It happens that once it has done the copy, it doesn't really need to do it again, until you move. Unfortunately, PPSSPP doesn't really have any way of knowing this. The game could've been optimized not to bother copying twice, but why? It's fast on a real PSP at 1x (the only resolution the PSP is capable of.) Its developers had no reason to fix something that wasn't broken.

What you'll find is, with the setting off, if you move your character, and then pause again, it will show a background from what you saw before.

I think currently we don't identify the remasters for this series properly, so you have to change the source code and recompile PPSSPP to force it to recognize the game as a remaster (it will also mis-recognize the original as a remaster, though.) Also, I heard there was something about "exdata" but I don't know much about it.

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - [Unknown] - 08-27-2014 05:15 AM
Trails in the sky in-game problems - Kayss - 04-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Infinite Loading Issue - jonogz - 08-10-2015, 06:08 AM