Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
[Tutorial] How to play multiplayer using Tunngle
08-04-2014, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2016 07:59 AM by vnctdj.)
Star [Tutorial] How to play multiplayer using Tunngle
Edit by vnctdj : This tutorial is valid for all games, not only for Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

Hi! Angel
I noticed that this Tunngle tutorial is getting outdated. It includes extra steps that are now unnecessary to do and there are missing required steps that are not stated.
I don't know if the OP will ever update that tutorial, so I decided to make a new updated one!

The examples for this tutorial will be for connecting the game: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.
At the end of this tutorial section, there will be a FAQ section specifically for MHFU to troubleshoot any connection problems.

REQUIREMENTS:
  • PPSSPP
  • Tunngle
  • AdhocServerProOnline
  • PSP Game in .iso, .cso, or, less commonly, in .eboot format (Get this one yourself. For more info, read this.)
PROCEDURE:

VIDEO TUTORIAL

Tunngle Setup
  1. Download Tunngle from here and install it.
  2. Run "Tunngle beta."
  3. Click the yellow bar to register a Tunngle account.
  4. Login your account at the bottom of the window.

[Image: image.png]
  5. Make sure the rectangular smiley at the bottom-right corner is GREEN OR YELLOW.
    To have the smiley green or yellow, you need to port forward Tunngle. Click this for more info.
  6. In the search bar at the top-left corner, type the title of the game you're going to play.
  7. Enter one of the rooms that appear from the middle section.
    For MHFU's case, enter the room "Monster Hunter Freedom Unite."

8. From the right section, pick the player who is going to host the game and right-click his name.
    Click "Copy IP to clipboard."
    Make sure to connect to someone WITHOUT A RED X BESIDE HIS NAME.
    If you want to connect to a certain player with a red X beside his name, one or both of you needs to port forward Tunngle.
    Click this for more info.
    If you decided to host the game, right-click your own username instead to copy your own IP.

AdhocServerProOnline Setup

Not needed anymore, now you just have to enable the built-in server in Networking settings.

1. Download AdhocServerProOnline from the links below:
    For Windows
    For MacOSX
  2. Unzip and open "AdhocServerProOnline" folder to locate "AdhocSever.exe."
  3. Whenever you want to host a game, run "AdhocSever.exe" and leave it open or minimized.
    However, when you're not the host player, this step is unnecessary.
  4. When you run "AdhocSever.exe" for the first time, a window for firewall may pop-up.
    Simply check "Private networks" and "Public networks" and click "Allow access."

PPSSPP Setup
  1. Download PPSSPP from the official website or from buildbot.
    Getting it from buildbot is recommended. Make sure, though, that the build is STABLE AND WITHOUT ERROR.
  2. Load the game that you want to play. Make sure the game region is THE SAME FOR ALL PLAYERS who want to play together.
    For MHFU's case, the game code should be whether ULUS10391 for [US] version, ULES01213 for [EU] version, or ULJM05500 for [JP] version.
    The most common version played in Tunngle is the [US] version.

3. From PPSSPP.exe, go to Settings -> System -> Networking and "Enable networking/WLAN."
  4. Below that, click "Change proAdhocServer IP address" and paste host's IP.
  5. Below that, click "Change MAC address" to generate a random MAC address that won't match other players' MAC address.
  6. Under System -> Cheats, make sure cheats are NOT ENABLED.

7. Under System -> Emulation, make sure "Fast memory" is NOT ENABLED.

8. Under Controls -> Control mapping, don't map anything for "Unthrottle" or "Speed toggle" to avoid using them.
  9. Moreover, don't map anything for "Save State" or "Load State" as well.

10. In game, go to multiplayer.
  11. When you go to multiplayer for the first time, a window for firewall may pop-up.
    Simply check "Private networks" and "Public networks" and click "Allow access."

[Image: firewall.png]
  12. All players who want to play with you should copy and paste the host's IP to their "proAdhocServer IP address" as well.
  13. Once they've done so, you should be able to see them in the multiplayer preparation room of the game.

14. Finally, play with others to your heart's desire!

Once the setup is complete, all you need to worry about is changing IP's whenever you want to join a different host or running "AdhocSever.exe" whenever you want to host a game.

This tutorial will regularly be updated as long as I'm around.

GOOD LUCK! Big Grin

WATCH MY MHFU GAMEPLAY VIDS AT: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBarbanium
Have I been helpful to you in any way, nya?
You can click that "+" button ▼ to raise my reputation, meow!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2014, 11:37 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2014 03:55 PM by barbanium.)
RE: [Tutorial] How to play multiplayer using Tunngle
FAQ

Q1: When I go to Online Gathering Hall, a message appears saying, "The WLAN switch is turned off. Please push the WLAN switch to the on position." What do I do?
A: Under Settings -> System -> Networking, click "Enable networking/WLAN" to enable it.

Q2: Now when I try again and go to Online GH, the game freezes for about 20 secs. and a message appears saying, "A communications error has occurred." What to do?
A:
  • You and the host player (if you're not the host) should be in the same Tunngle room, preferably, the "Monster Hunter Freedom Unite" room.
  • The host player should have "AdhocSever.exe" opened. He is the only one required to do this.
  • Firewall should allow "AdhocSever.exe" to connect privately and publicly. See Q6 on how to change firewall settings.
  • You should copy exactly host's IP (if you're the host, copy exactly your own IP) and paste it to "Change proAdhocServer address" under Settings -> System -> Networking.
  • Your MAC address might be in the wrong format. Click "Change MAC address" under Settings -> System -> Networking to resolve that.

Q3: I'm the host. When a friend of mine tries to join me, he gets the message "A communications error has occurred." When I look at my "AdhocSever.exe" window, it says, "Invalid Login Packet Contents." What now?
A: Tell your friend to click "Change MAC address" under Settings -> System -> Networking.

Q4: I really want to play with certain someone, but in Tunngle, there's a red X beside his name. How do I solve this?
A:
  • Restart Tunngle.
  • One or both of you needs to port forward Tunngle.
    If these don't work, I can't think of any other solution.

Q5: I'm in the Online GH now. Hurray! But I can't see anyone even though they are in the Online GH as well. Why?
A:
  • All players should have the same region of the game, whether ULUS10391 for [US] version, ULES01213 for [EU] version, or ULJM05500 for [JP] version, just one!
    The most common version played in Tunngle is the [US] version.
  • In Tunngle, look at the right section where all players in that room are listed. Make sure the person you want to play with doesn't have a red X beside his name AND you can see each other's chat messages.
    This can usually be solved by port forwarding Tunngle on the PC's of those players who can't see each other.
  • No two players should have the same MAC address. Click "Change MAC address" under Settings -> System -> Networking to generate a random MAC address.
  • You might be entering Online GH while holding down the "Unthrottle" button. Go out from the Online GH and come back without pressing "Unthrottle."

Q6: We can now see each other in Online GH. The problem is, we can't load a quest without someone "breaking off." What's going on?
A:
  • All players should have an updated PPSSPP. Get the latest version from the official website or from buildbot.
    Getting it from buildbot is recommended. Make sure, though, that the build is stable and without error.
  • Disable "Fast memory" under Settings -> System -> Emulation.
  • Under Settings -> System -> Cheats, make sure cheats are not enabled.
  • Make sure everyone in your party can properly connect with each other by checking if there's not a red X beside each other's names AND checking if everyone can see each other's chat messages.
    This can usually be solved by port forwarding Tunngle on the PC's of those players who can't connect properly.
    Keep in mind, it only takes 2 players who can't connect to each other properly to "break off" a whole party of 3 to 4 players.
  • Change your firewall settings by doing the steps below.

The following steps are done in a Windows 8.1 PC.
    Other OS versions should have similar methods as these.
    Use common sense.

• In your Windows search bar, type "firewall" and click "Windows Firewall."

• From the window that appears, click "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall."

• Click "Change settings" and find "ppssppwindows64.exe"
      Check the checkboxes for both "Private" and "Public."
    • Do the above step for "adhocsever.exe" as well.
    • To confirm the changes, click "OK."

Q7: It works well when there are only 2 players playing the game. Sure, the quest loads slow, but it works. Yet when there are 3 to 4 players, we can't load a quest without someone "breaking off." Why is this so?
A:
  • Most problems, specially the problem in Q6, occur when there are 3 to 4 players because PPSSPP can't handle proper connections for more than 2 players without the proper setup.
    Look at the previous answer to see how to update your PPSSPP.
  • Also, check above to see how to disable "Fast memory," disable cheats, port forward Tunngle, and change your firewall settings.

Q8: The quest can now load without anyone "breaking off," but sometimes, someone randomly "breaks off" during the quest. Why is that?
A:
  • Don't use save states.
    Under Controls -> Control mapping, don't map anything for "Save State" or "Load State" to avoid using them.
  • Don't use unthrottle or alt. speed = unlimited (to speed up) function.
    Don't map anything for "Unthrottle" or "Speed toggle."
  • Under Settings -> System -> Cheats, make sure cheats are not enabled.
  • If the problem persists, your PC might not be able to run PPSSPP for a long period of time.
    I can't provide a solution for that.

Q9: Everything is working fine. My only complaint is, the quest takes too long to load. Any solution?
A:
  • Again, all players should have an updated PPSSPP.
    Look above to see how to update your PPSSPP.
  • Don't use alt. speed = 25% while loading the quest. That trick is outdated.

Q10: Do I need to use the "Alternative speed = 25%" trick while the quest is loading?
A: NO!

Bonus Q: I noticed you used PPSSPP Gold in your visual aids. Do I need to have that as well in order to connect online?
A:
I'm glad you noticed! Wink

No, you don't need to get PPSSPP Gold to connect online BUT it's kinda like a statement which shows your love for the software.
In addition, by buying PPSSPP Gold, the developers will be motivated even more to enhance PPSSPP's game compatibility, graphics and audio performance, running speed, and overall awesomeness.
PPSSPP Gold may not be as good as the ones with builds but having that shiny gold icon is so much satisfying.

To get PPSSPP Gold, click this link: http://central.ppsspp.org/buygold Big Grin
08-05-2014, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2014 07:53 AM by vnctdj.)
Very good tutorial barbanium, it will replace the old one right now Smile

Thread stuck.

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
08-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Tunngle is good with the connection , but sometimes i dont like use tunngle because everyone got separately because there is too many who host the adhoc server , and no one replying my chat in the room , so confused which ip i must use

Experimenting with adhoc over internet system through Amultios custom ppsspp fork, find me in game

Monster Hunter Freedom : Lucis
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite : Lucis
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd: Lucis
08-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Don't you see me there?
When someone chats there, I almost always reply to them, even while I'm playing.
If you're a G rank and you see me there and there's a slot on my server, join me immediately. Big Grin

08-08-2014, 01:32 PM
whats room ? im joining the Monster Hunter Freedom Unite , yes iam G rank and get bored when fighting white fatalis alone -_- , because my 2 big brother not play anymore (get busy with life and their work) so i am looking for friend to play Big Grin

Experimenting with adhoc over internet system through Amultios custom ppsspp fork, find me in game

08-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Yep, that's the right room. Though atm, I'm not yet playing. Still stuck to my bed. Tongue

You'll know it when I get there. Big Grin

08-08-2014, 01:53 PM
okay , atm im playing at coldbird server Big Grin

08-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Are there many players in that coldbird server?

08-08-2014, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2014 02:05 PM by Adhenovan.)
not to many aroud 5-20 player , there is no chat at coldbird server except using PSP you can chat there, look here http://pro.coldbird.net/status/

08-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Come here in Tunngle. I'm online now. Big Grin

08-08-2014, 03:57 PM
maybe later friend, i cant playing now need to sleep i have exam tomorrow

08-11-2014, 02:19 AM
UPDATE:
  • Added information about port forwarding
  • Included a solution for connecting to someone with a red X beside his name
  • Clarified that YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE THE ALT. SPEED TRICK ANYMORE
  • Fixed minor grammatical errors and changed the images a little bit to correspond with the added info
  • MOST IMPORTANTLY, added how to and why get PPSSPP Gold in the FAQ section
Big Grin

08-13-2014, 08:27 AM
need to try this later...
wish me luck
08-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Hi, im new here, i have a seriously problem, and i hope can help me here Smile , here my explication: 1 week ago, i could play nice mhp3rd HD in Tunngle, with my brother without problems, but i dont know, why when my bro and i are going to a mission the loading is so long now and the party broke off, we try differents missions the same problem, check proadhocserver, check mac address, and nothing, try Hamachi the same too, but for curiosity we put MHFU and works really well in both programs (Tunngle/Hamachi), now could pliz tell me what is te problem? mhp3rd HD is damaged? what we did bad? Greetings from Dominican Republic Smile