Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
Jeanne d'Arc
02-27-2014, 09:12 AM
RE: Jeanne d'Arc
I have the same issue with the fonts being too spaced out in the new version and for some reason when I'm in zoomed out battles, the screen just goes black whenever I try selecting a character or moving. It will occassionally flicker if I move the cursor around and I'll have momentary glimpses of the playfield, but it's almost strobe light-like.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2014, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2014 09:56 AM by sergio_zar.)
(02-27-2014 09:12 AM)trantor Wrote:  I have the same issue with the fonts being too spaced out in the new version and for some reason when I'm in zoomed out battles, the screen just goes black whenever I try selecting a character or moving. It will occassionally flicker if I move the cursor around and I'll have momentary glimpses of the playfield, but it's almost strobe light-like.

Have you tried the new v0.9.7.2-110 build? I haven't yet, but it says:

Correct sceFindFont*() behavior #5571

Per tests. Fixes bad font selection in Fieldrunners.

Also fixes Jeanne d'Arc's text, but it's minor since it's a similar typeface. Fieldrunners is a bigger deal because you can't see anything.

http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/
02-27-2014, 10:02 AM
(02-27-2014 09:55 AM)sergio_zar Wrote:  
(02-27-2014 09:12 AM)trantor Wrote:  I have the same issue with the fonts being too spaced out in the new version and for some reason when I'm in zoomed out battles, the screen just goes black whenever I try selecting a character or moving. It will occassionally flicker if I move the cursor around and I'll have momentary glimpses of the playfield, but it's almost strobe light-like.

Have you tried the new v0.9.7.2-110 build? I haven't yet, but it says:

Also fixes Jeanne d'Arc's text, but it's minor since it's a similar typeface. Fieldrunners is a bigger deal because you can't see anything.

http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

I am running the 110 build. Now the font spacing isn't THAT big of a deal (most of it is legible with the exception of a few item descriptions which vanish off screen at times). The bigger issue is the flickering which makes the zoomed out combats (the first one in the forest with the nobleman) unplayable. I've tried all the rendering modes and the only one that gives a proper image (albeit with the flicker bug) is the buffered Rendering mode.
02-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Hmm are you guys sure about that, because the font was perfect for me until 110 broke it.

02-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Test game.....
02-27-2014, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2014 03:20 PM by [Unknown].)
The font is correct with fonts from the PSP. It was selecting the wrong font before which was kind of "better", but unfortunately the fonts that come with PPSSPP are very bad.

The solution is improving the fonts that come with PPSSPP, not adding back bugs to workaround other bugs so we're sitting on a large pile of bugs. There were actually several places the text was not properly aligned or overflowed boxes within PPSSPP before that change. Now, with PSP fonts, everything looks correct.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?...light=font

In many games the current fonts are laughably bad (and this has been the case in several games for quite some time, because the same fonts have been coming with PPSSPP for months):
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/5578

-[Unknown]
02-27-2014, 04:11 PM
(02-27-2014 03:16 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  The font is correct with fonts from the PSP. It was selecting the wrong font before which was kind of "better", but unfortunately the fonts that come with PPSSPP are very bad.

The solution is improving the fonts that come with PPSSPP, not adding back bugs to workaround other bugs so we're sitting on a large pile of bugs. There were actually several places the text was not properly aligned or overflowed boxes within PPSSPP before that change. Now, with PSP fonts, everything looks correct.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?...light=font

In many games the current fonts are laughably bad (and this has been the case in several games for quite some time, because the same fonts have been coming with PPSSPP for months):
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/5578

-[Unknown]

Like I said, the font issue isn't that bad. But the screen going black during zoomed out fight sequences does break the game. Any clue what's up with that? Does anyone know if the older versions work? I can always just install an older build.
02-27-2014, 04:16 PM
Thanks I just got the original fonts from PSP and now it looks alright, didn't realize the ones that come with PPSSPP were that bad.
02-28-2014, 12:52 AM
(02-27-2014 04:11 PM)trantor Wrote:  Like I said, the font issue isn't that bad. But the screen going black during zoomed out fight sequences does break the game.

I don't know anything about this and have not seen it happen. You've made sure your video card drivers are updated and everything? Is it some specific scene or just any time you zoom out?

-[Unknown]
02-28-2014, 09:48 AM
(02-28-2014 12:52 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  
(02-27-2014 04:11 PM)trantor Wrote:  Like I said, the font issue isn't that bad. But the screen going black during zoomed out fight sequences does break the game.

I don't know anything about this and have not seen it happen. You've made sure your video card drivers are updated and everything? Is it some specific scene or just any time you zoom out?

-[Unknown]

It happens about 4 or 5 missions in, the zoom function is automatic in the game (set automatically based on map size). Here's the save. Just go to Battlefield and start placing characters... the screen should start flipping out almost immediately, if not it will as soon as combat starts (small cutscene close up of computer characters acting is buggy too).

Here's the save file: JeanneSave
02-28-2014, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 10:20 AM by solarmystic.)
(02-28-2014 09:48 AM)trantor Wrote:  Here's the save file: JeanneSave

Thanks for the save file, trantor.

I started the mission using the savefile you provided (choosing Battlefield right after loading it.) and it looks pretty normal to me.

Providing a short video of the game flipping out on your end, plus a screenshot of your System Information in PPSSPP would be immensely helpful for diagnostic purposes. After all, we can't exactly help you out if we can't reproduce the issue ourselves and we don't know what it looks like firsthand.

As an example, here's a short video how it looks like on my own PC using your provided savefile, using footage captured from FRAPS:-

https://www.mediafire.com/?24hss7v9b7xgwv7

My own system specs are listed in my signature, driver version for the ATI card is Catalyst 11.11a.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
02-28-2014, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 10:12 AM by sergio_zar.)
(02-28-2014 09:48 AM)trantor Wrote:  It happens about 4 or 5 missions in, the zoom function is automatic in the game (set automatically based on map size). Here's the save. Just go to Battlefield and start placing characters... the screen should start flipping out almost immediately, if not it will as soon as combat starts (small cutscene close up of computer characters acting is buggy too).

Here's the save file: JeanneSave

Hi, Trantor. I have just used your save file... and nothing of that happens to me. No flipping, no black screens, no problems when placing characters and no problems at the beginning of the battle when some enemies attackm zoom-in, zoom-out, or when I move my characters). So this must be driver related. I have an Nvidia graphic card, driver 331.82, and I have checked it with ppsspp 0.9.7.2.-116.
02-28-2014, 10:27 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 10:29 AM by trantor.)
Ok, here's a brief video of the problem (quality for size purposes somewhat reduced) Smile

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0tsPA-...sp=sharing

And here's the screenshot of the system info: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0tsPA-...sp=sharing

And the weird thing is that up until that point there were no problems. I played two missions with build 116. went back to 113 now to test the font and see if it made a difference but no dice.
02-28-2014, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 11:02 AM by solarmystic.)
After having a quick look at your video, and your system information, I'm going to have to agree with sergio, and say that it's most definitely an issue of outdated drivers. The integrated HD 4000 itself shouldn't have any issues with the game.

The Intel drivers (9.17.10.2867) you're currently using were released in 2012.

Update to the latest ones (dated 29/1/2014) from the Intel Download Center for 64bit Windows 8 here:-

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_...ivers#help

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
02-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Yeah, sadly Acer has decided to use their own drivers and Intel is telling me mine are in fact up to date. I've posted over on the opengl forums to see if there's a work around.

Thanks for the help guys!