Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Avast thinks it's a virus
06-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Avast thinks it's a virus
Hey, yesterday (6th June 2014), PPSSPP was working perfectly on my Windows 7 64-bit system but today Avast! says it's a virus. (Evo-gen) The 32-bit version is detected as a virus but the 64-bit version isn't but I can't open that since I don't have some required DLLs, I have tried getting the latest SVN build, the installer and the official 0.9.8 build.

What shall I do? Should I report it as a false positive?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2014, 12:31 PM
RE: Avast thinks it's a virus
Does it say what kind of thread it detected? The JIT may be seen as self-modifying and maybe it's the disabled DEP or the fixed base-address. How much details does it give?
06-07-2014, 12:34 PM
I assume it's a false positive. What does virustotal have to say?

You can install the required DLLs from Microsoft's website:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...x?id=40784

Click Download and select the x64 one, then install it.

-[Unknown]
06-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Got the same problem... every time I try to run PPSSPP(XP ver.), my avast detect it as a virus. =(
06-07-2014, 02:57 PM
This is exactly why I don't use AV software. Well not the kind that runs in the background 24/7.Just disable your AV. AV software is bogus anyways. Its there just to give people peace of mind anyways.
06-07-2014, 03:27 PM
fade2black001: that only really applies if you are an aware user and you know who to trust and who not to trust. Many non-powerusers have no clue which sources they should trust and which sources they shouldn't (what differentiates the many fake emulators from real ones for example).

Average users should use anti-malware software of some kind. But I think that Windows Defender is a competent system if you have some base-line knowledge of what you're doing. If you are the type of person who clicks on random attachments and would get infected by cryptlocker or other stuff then you should maybe think of installing an anti-malware software with big red letters for untrusted files Tongue
06-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Clicking on random crap is stupid. Also if one has "no script" and ADblock+ installed. This will eleminate 99.8% of a chance of getting a virus anyways.
06-07-2014, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2014 06:56 PM by [Unknown].)
(06-07-2014 02:57 PM)fade2black001 Wrote:  This is exactly why I don't use AV software. Well not the kind that runs in the background 24/7.Just disable your AV. AV software is bogus anyways. Its there just to give people peace of mind anyways.

I strongly disagree. I know developers even with this imho (sorry) silly mindset who have gotten themselves viruses and ended up affecting a lot of users.

It is true that ads are these days, afaik, a common source of infection (sometimes even just seeing them, not even clicking, when they have been hacked.)

Anyway, there must be a reason Avast is considering PPSSPP malware. Maybe it's just matching some signature by chance. If virustotal says it's okay other than Avast, and you're 150% sure you got it from ppsspp.org, I would suggest reporting it as a false positive.

-[Unknown]
06-07-2014, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2014 07:23 PM by barbanium.)
I'm having the same dilemma as well.

Just before the download ends, Avast alerts me, "Suspicious item has been detected."

This applies to "Installer for 0.9.8," "Download 0.9.8 zip," and "PPSSPP Gold 0.9.8 for Windows" which I got from here:
http://www.ppsspp.org/downloads.html
(I won't give the download link for Gold.)

When I click "More details" about the problem, it showed me these:
For "Installer for 0.9.8"
For "Download 0.9.8 zip"
(Again, for Gold, I won't specify it. Tongue)

That's all information I can gather. Smile

WATCH MY MHFU GAMEPLAY VIDS AT: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBarbanium
Have I been helpful to you in any way, nya?
You can click that "+" button ▼ to raise my reputation, meow!
06-07-2014, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2014 12:33 AM by skybreathe.)
i'm using win 32bit and i think only ppsspp 0.9.8 32bit suspected as win32evo on my avast. Because when i'm using he older ppsspp build it run smoothly.Confused
edited :
0.9.7 32bit also suspected as win32evo
06-08-2014, 12:17 AM
Here is an idea. Why don't you disable your AV software. Download the file, extract/install it and then re-enable your AV software.

You guys are obviously getting it from the official site so there is no reason is be paranoid.
06-08-2014, 01:03 AM
(06-08-2014 12:17 AM)fade2black001 Wrote:  Here is an idea. Why don't you disable your AV software. Download the file, extract/install it and then re-enable your AV software.

You guys are obviously getting it from the official site so there is no reason is be paranoid.

hmm there isn't the point , i mean i can easily play ppsspp 0.9.7/8 by exclude the file from my Avast scan. What i need here is the explanation why 0.9.7 and 0.9.8 suddenly suspended as win32evo. But when i', re-scan it again in quarrantine box, the Avast tell that .exe is virus-free Confused
06-08-2014, 01:09 AM
Its obviously a bug in Avast itself. I would try another AV program such as Avira and see what it says. Or even Windows Defender. Although Windows Defender is absolute crap and is at the very bottom of the list for AV software. So yeah try out different ones that are equal or better than Avast such as Avira or something and see what it says about it. If they come up/back clean then yea its definitely a bug on Avast's part.
06-08-2014, 02:48 AM
I have the same problem!