Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where can I find PSP original font that supports full Unicode and can be used in emu?
04-01-2014, 12:27 AM
Where can I find PSP original font that supports full Unicode and can be used in emu?
Well, it doesn't have to be the original PSP font, but I'm needing something with full Unicode support, which the font that the emulator comes with does not. It appears to support a lot of languages, but my primary concerns are that 1) it does not support simplified Chinese characters, and 2) it does not support Korean hangul single characters, making using the system Korean keyboard pretty much impossible, as every key displays as a Unicode placeholder diamond-question mark. I would prefer the original PSP font (or possibly even a unicode PS3 font, if such rips exist), just so everything looks more consistent, but once again it's not a necessity.

For that matter, will any TTF format font work in PPSSPP? Do I just have to stick it in the assets folder, or what?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2014, 01:19 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2014 02:28 AM by TheDax.)
Re: PSP fonts
Since the things you're requesting information about are actually several separate issues (three as far as I can tell), I'll break them down one by one:

(04-01-2014 12:27 AM)wohdin Wrote:  Well, it doesn't have to be the original PSP font, but I'm needing something with full Unicode support, which the font that the emulator comes with does not.

We can't give you a direct link to the original PSP fonts used in the actual games, because they're copyrighted. I could give you some further info on how to grab them from your PSP or a PSP-emu hacked Vita, though.

Quote: It appears to support a lot of languages, but my primary concerns are that 1) it does not support simplified Chinese characters, and 2) it does not support Korean hangul single characters, making using the system Korean keyboard pretty much impossible, as every key displays as a Unicode placeholder diamond-question mark.

The on-screen keyboard displayed in PPSSPP doesn't use fonts from the assets/flash0 folder; instead, it uses a font baked/hard-coded into the emulator, which lacks support currently for a number of Korean and Chinese characters (it's relatively easy to update the baked in font, but it requires recompiling the emulator's source code too). Hopefully we'll change it so that it uses system fonts at some point once the OSK gets a redesign.

Quote:For that matter, will any TTF format font work in PPSSPP? Do I just have to stick it in the assets folder, or what?

For PPSSPP's general UI (with the blue/gold background), yeah, you can use whatever font you want. You can accomplish it in either of two ways (the second method only applies to Windows currently, I think, I'd have to check the source code):
  1. In the assets folder, replace Roboto-Condensed.ttf with whatever TTF file you like.
  2. In the lang folder, open up the ini file for whatever language you're using (e.g. en_US for english), and under [DesktopUI], add or uncomment the Font line, and change it to the name of a font on your system, without the TTF extension, and without the period that would separate it (e.g. Trebuchet MS).

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
04-01-2014, 09:31 PM
RE: Where can I find PSP original font that supports full Unicode and can be used in emu?
(04-01-2014 01:19 AM)TheDax Wrote:  The on-screen keyboard displayed in PPSSPP doesn't use fonts from the assets/flash0 folder; instead, it uses a font baked/hard-coded into the emulator, which lacks support currently for a number of Korean and Chinese characters (it's relatively easy to update the baked in font, but it requires recompiling the emulator's source code too). Hopefully we'll change it so that it uses system fonts at some point once the OSK gets a redesign.

I'm waiting for that Smile
Using the system fonts which are in the "flash0" folder is way better Smile

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
04-01-2014, 09:33 PM
RE: Where can I find PSP original font that supports full Unicode and can be used in emu?
What I meant by system font was how PPSSPP renders text now on all of the non-Android platforms, where we can use MS Trebuchet, Arial, etc.. It'd be way more work than its worth to use the flash0 fonts for the general UI.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
04-01-2014, 09:35 PM
OK, I understand Smile

In fact, I was thinking about the in-game OSK font... My bad... Sad

♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
04-01-2014, 09:42 PM
Oh, I see. That's a separate font altogether, used by PPGe. In any case, once I'm done redesigning the OSK, you can use any font you like that's installed on your system (except on Android, I think, as we're still not using system fonts there, right?).

04-01-2014, 09:57 PM
But, which font will your OSK use ?
I mean, when you are saying that we can use any font which is installed on our system, are you referring to the font we define in the *.ini file from the "lang" folder ?

♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
04-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Correct, or the Roboto-Condensed.ttf file from assets, if your language ini doesn't have a font specified. Smile

04-01-2014, 10:20 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2014 10:20 PM by vnctdj.)
OK, thank you for your explanations Wink

♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2