Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
PCSX2 android??
03-30-2014, 07:10 AM
Wink PCSX2 android??
Hi guys , why isnt there any pcsx2 (ps2) emulator on android ? it has a very good perforemence on pc and I hope it will work great on high end android devices too, if not the native ps2 quality then atleast 320x240 resolution will work on 100% speed and as you know android os is the fastest developing os now , open GL is also a great adventage so why not port PS2 emulator on android? Smile .

The Signature!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2014, 09:39 AM
RE: PCSX2 android??
Ps2 emulator for android start in 6 year time.
03-30-2014, 10:04 AM
What???? I am really unable to understand what you said!!

The Signature!
03-30-2014, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2014 11:20 AM by Merivex.)
Because they're busy + they know that nobody will donate for their hard work Big Grin Maybe ~

Smartphone : Samsung Galaxy S4
Console : Playstion Vita
PSN ID : Merivex95<<<[Add me!]
03-30-2014, 06:19 PM
I think somebody should start a project of PS2 emulator for android right now, because when the phones become able to run it, the project will be advanced. It's just my opinion.

A example is the Dolphin emulator, few phones would be able to run this emulator at good speed right now, but in future when it becomes stable, the most phones will run it.

Phone: Galaxy J7 J700M @1.7GHz OC

PC: Intel Core i5 3470 3.2GHz/10GB DDR3 1333MHz/NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 192-bit/Windows 10 Pro x64
03-30-2014, 09:25 PM
I have slightly different opinion on this, let's look on the closest to us example. Do we really have any reasons to belive that android version of PPSSPP would be better if it was started few years earlier?
I don't really think so, smartphones were much different or even didn't existed yet in what we take as a smartphone nowadaysTongue. And that's IMO a huge problem, mobiles are changing too rapidly, planning far ahead has little to no sense for them. Intel's investments in mobile market can as well push arm devices into those cheaper/weaker ones not to mention battery size vs power vs currently used materials doesn't really have perspective of huge improvements in speed per core and we all know alot of weak cores is useless for such emulation.
It certainly would be possible with carbon nanocubes, but that's still in the future. Inventions can't jump over capitalism.:c

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
03-30-2014, 10:38 PM
The android architecture will be always the same (at least always has been, and will be for a long time), and as you said, the smartphones were much different of nowadays, but the apps made some years ago works in current phones so good as worked in old phones. I mean they could start to port the codes to the ARM architecture (that will be same for a long and long time), start to make the base, and another simple things, is not needed to create a functional emulator, because of course won't works . The ARMv8 processors should become powerful enough in few years (or even months) to emulate PS2, we also can see the power of new GPUs, then is good to begin work since now.

Phone: Galaxy J7 J700M @1.7GHz OC

PC: Intel Core i5 3470 3.2GHz/10GB DDR3 1333MHz/NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 192-bit/Windows 10 Pro x64
03-31-2014, 03:32 AM
I think you're forgetting how complicated ps2 emulation is. Aside from what some belive pcsx2 is really well optimized and as an extra can sacrifice even more accuracy for significant speedups, yet still is easily 10 times heavier than ppsspp.

But you didn't really got me with the old applications working in new android. Does that ARM v8 improves older applications or those which will be written to use it properly? I belive the latter is correct. To begin with the new one is 64 bit, it might be backward compatible with some ancient versions, but the architecture and technology within - surely get's changed.

So it's a choice between writing same thing over and over again in different ways until reaching playable speeds vs writing it once after the hardware and technology can back it up. I really like pcsx2, but because I was long time around it, I also remember pathologies such developement brings. For starters loads of hate from people with weaker hardware is completely common and what's even worse, there'll always be desperate people who will play through whole game like FF or KH at 5% speed which is sick and should never be promoted lol;O.
To balance it up PPSSPP showed up on systems it could get ok speed's as soon as it could boot the game, everyone loves it and overally create a very positive movement around, we don't even have too many rude people in the forums, that's just awkward in the net.;D

Oh this reminds me, I'm not forcing my opinion, just want to say that among the two ways of developement emulators usually get through, without any doubts I really preffer the ppsspp way.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
04-01-2014, 02:30 PM
You can say that pcsx2 is complex but it doesnt mean that ppsspp and dolphin arent complex , Ps2 was released in 2000 I think , and its emulator just requires the same source code that is written in the actual PS2 game machine , there is noway it is much complex than other emulators like ppsspp and dolphin (and if it is then not much) , the main problems in porting the emulator are graphics,virtual memory and processor requirements , thats why they havent released it yet in my opinion Smile , I think they would release it soon.

The Signature!
04-04-2014, 10:58 PM
Pcsx2 has more than 2 million lines of code plus it has one of the craziest architecture some claiming to be more complex than the ps3.

I AGREE that someone should now make a ps2 emu for android.

Pcsx2 started when on very laughable hardware back in the days,why cant ps2 for android?
04-07-2014, 02:22 PM
(04-01-2014 02:30 PM)Haseeb Wrote:  You can say that pcsx2 is complex but it doesnt mean that ppsspp and dolphin arent complex , Ps2 was released in 2000 I think , and its emulator just requires the same source code that is written in the actual PS2 game machine , there is noway it is much complex than other emulators like ppsspp and dolphin (and if it is then not much) , the main problems in porting the emulator are graphics,virtual memory and processor requirements , thats why they havent released it yet in my opinion Smile , I think they would release it soon.

PSP, wii, gamecube, gba, n64, and PS1 all use relatively well known common processor types, the NDS is a bit odd but uses 2 ARM processors(incredibly slow versions of what's in a phone)
this makes them "easy" to emulate, even on a phone.

PS2 and PS3 use custom chips that are very different from processors used in other devices.
they both use octa-core processors where each single "core" is optimized for very specific tasks and tied together for very fast communication between each core.
it takes a lot more code to guide this all to a dual/quad core processor with "generic use" cores and a dedicated graphics card, which in turn means it takes a lot more processing power to run.
04-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Hahahahahaha lol Big Grin #thedicemaster do you actually believe that ps2 uses octa core processor?? Really funny! When PS2 was released , I don't think there was even concept of dual cores and you are talking about OCTA CORE????? my god!! PS2 comes with 299MHZ single core processor which is even smaller than the psp's processor which was (333mhz single core) check on wiki pedia ! Even PS vita (released in 2012 ) uses quad core processor, can you please define the term "generic use" in terms of emulation? Never heard of that! Confused , also tell me that does PC have everthing you are talking about, and android has nothing like that?

The Signature!
04-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Android is still too weak for pcsx2, it only uses 3 core max. so it doesnt matter if you have a 65563 core, if its weak..... Pcsx2 needs at least 3.2 ghz per core. Also for pcsx2 to work on android, someone needs to rewrite the whole thing. Android maniacs please stahp spamming ppsspp, pcsx2, rpcs3 forums about how you want ps2, ps3 emulator on your weak device.... :/
04-07-2014, 10:52 PM
"Pcsx2 needs at least 3.2 ghz per core"

No. I enjoy pcsx2 with dual core cpu with 2.66 ghz Wink

Hey everybody, tired of the way games are reported here? look here ->> http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5901

--Current Mobile device--
Htc one, Xplay, Walkman z, Samsung ace IIx (crap)

--Current Computer--
1x (e8200, shitty ram (3go), 9600gt)
1x (e6750, better ram (2go), no video card)
1x (i5-3210M, ram (4Go),650M)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2014, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 07:32 AM by Henrik.)
(04-07-2014 02:41 PM)Haseeb Wrote:  Hahahahahaha lol Big Grin #thedicemaster do you actually believe that ps2 uses octa core processor?? Really funny! When PS2 was released , I don't think there was even concept of dual cores and you are talking about OCTA CORE????? my god!! PS2 comes with 299MHZ single core processor which is even smaller than the psp's processor which was (333mhz single core) check on wiki pedia ! Even PS vita (released in 2012 ) uses quad core processor, can you please define the term "generic use" in terms of emulation? Never heard of that! Confused , also tell me that does PC have everthing you are talking about, and android has nothing like that?

In addition to the main CPU (which is actually 128-bit, although only a few instructions support the full data width), PS2 also has two vector engines (VU0 and VU1) that can run parallel with the main CPU (at least VU0 can run fully free), plus it still has PS1's CPU lurking around as an audio and I/O controller. So it can be said to have at least three cores, even though they are very different.

It's definitely not traditional "single-core" as the PSP is (from a game perspective at least - the PSP does have a second core but it's only used as a hidden video and audio controller, games can't run code on it so we don't need to emulate it directly).