Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
funny bug
02-19-2013, 04:38 PM
funny bug
I have tested Samuraidou on my android rv stick a while ago.Now it was time for my Nexus 7 to shine but at startup a strange bug appears as seen on video.Also game is fully playable but with an annoying static sounds that feels like it could explode my tablet speakers.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2013, 07:53 PM
RE: funny bug
The first bug (kinda bug) is the texture cache being rendered which alot of emulators have that at the time it loads/unloads the memory.
The static sounds like the same issue as Naruto Kizuna Drive, it can get really loud in only some minutes to the point my ears bleed.
02-19-2013, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 08:50 PM by EvilKingStan.)
Just turn sound emulation off in the settings. Most of the actual sounds in-game can't be decoded yet anyways. As it says on the development page, "Bring in FFMPEG, hook up sceMpeg and ATRAC3 (and MP3). ATRAC3plus is still a problem as there's no open source decoder..." I'm actually not even sure what sound files the emu does decode.
02-19-2013, 10:35 PM
It currently only decodes Sony VAG ADPCM, which is a well known format that was used even back on the PS1. Most games use it for sound effects and some use it for music.
02-20-2013, 01:07 AM
(02-19-2013 10:35 PM)Henrik Wrote:  It currently only decodes Sony VAG ADPCM, which is a well known format that was used even back on the PS1. Most games use it for sound effects and some use it for music.
Oh dear lord, ew, ew, EW! This is dreadful, there's just so many other formats with better quality results and less computational requirements, why did they go with ADPCM especialy that stupid type of Sony's VAG?! I'd even prefer any version of ATRAC with a bitrate like 32-64kbps! I bet that GTA games on PSP must use that (ADPCM) codec for their speech samples, I think I recognise that type of aliasing they produce which I HATE! BTW, do you think you can pass those lame samples from interpolation? Those aliased esses are sooo annoying and they don't fit the quality of the rest audio of the games, this could make them more "current generation" feeling and would smooth out the sound quality differences between samples. It's like you hear a nice orchestral soundtrack which is actualy an ATRAC3+ file encoded at 128-160kbps (fair) and then you talk to an NPC and a dreadful 22KHz ADPCM sample pops up and it sounds like it comes out of a cheap walkie talkie and you are like "um, on what console and I playing that again?". UGH, still feeling nauseus with ADPCM, I dread ADPCM!
02-20-2013, 07:19 AM
Yes, I know, it does sound like crap.

I still haven't added interpolation, it may make things a little better, but the detail lost by the VAG ADPCM is not coming back.
02-20-2013, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 08:15 AM by VIRGIN KLM.)
(02-20-2013 07:19 AM)Henrik Wrote:  Yes, I know, it does sound like crap.

I still haven't added interpolation, it may make things a little better, but the detail lost by the VAG ADPCM is not coming back.

Well ofcourse I know that but It's more like to smooth this aliased sharpness-madness in sounds. I wish Desmume would have an interpolation method like Catmull instead of Cosine, the quality difference is rather huge. I liked the overkill (lol) of adding Catmull interpolation on emulators for like GB/GBC/GBA! XD It made that "Pikachu!" sample in Pokemon Yellow sound finaly decent!

EDIT: I wanted to ask you something but I didn't want to create a whole topic about it and since we talk about quality improvisation, I noticed that some textures look like you have applied somekind of advanced filter like HQ4X. For some reason I can't believe they could be so detailed with a simple billinear filter, there's gotta be a more scientific filter involved.
02-20-2013, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 08:27 AM by Henrik.)
Nope, I don't have any fancy texture filters. Got screenshots of what you mean looks like one?
02-20-2013, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 09:39 AM by VIRGIN KLM.)
Yeah, it's kinda weird or atleast there is somekind of mechanism that produces the same nice and sharp visual effect as HQ filters.

Digimon Adventure (check the mountains where the texture ends and transparency starts, there should be bluriness and/or pixelation there if it was only billinear):
http://oi49.tinypic.com/2rw3xi0.jpg

Naruto Shippuden Legends Akatsuki Rising (On the mountain tops again with the Hokage heads, it's very nice and detailed, pretty impossible that this is just billinear filtering on a such low-res texture, you can still see the size of the pixels on the rest texture not matching the grades of the top) :
http://oi49.tinypic.com/35344te.jpg

EDIT: Just forgot to say that the game (Naruto Shippuden Legends Akatsuki Rising) finally became playable! You could play the game but all UI was missing, everything, only the 3D ellements were there, load screens and all, now everything seems to be working! GREAT!
02-20-2013, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 09:47 AM by Henrik.)
You can get that kind of nice sharp not-so-blocky edges as seen in Naruto by having alpha test on a bilinearly filtered but otherwise non-used alpha channel, which is what the game seems to do. It should be typically alpha-test-pixelly though but it looks like you have some antialiasing enabled that smooths it out.

Digimon just seems to have a nicely detailed texture with a good alpha channel, and makes sure to not get black fringing by either using premultiplied alpha or by being very careful with how the alpha'd out parts of the texture are colored.
02-20-2013, 09:56 AM
(02-20-2013 09:46 AM)Henrik Wrote:  You can get that kind of nice sharp not-so-blocky edges as seen in Naruto by having alpha test on a bilinearly filtered but otherwise non-used alpha channel, which is what the game seems to do. It should be typically alpha-test-pixelly though but it looks like you have some antialiasing enabled that smooths it out.

Digimon just seems to have a nicely detailed texture with a good alpha channel, and makes sure to not get black fringing by either using premultiplied alpha or by being very careful with how the alpha'd out parts of the texture are colored.
That's so cool, I wish they'd do something like that on other previous consoles.

BTW, I don't know what you did (I suspect "Fix sign of depth in "Through" projection matrix. Thanks xele02. Fixes ToE, Dissidia, etc.") but there's certainly something cool you did that made ALOT of games that had terrible issues or not working to work perfectly or go atleast In-game!