Thread Rating:
  • 13 Votes - 4.31 Average
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
02-16-2015, 11:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2015 11:49 PM by Guiltygod.)
Sound stutter in Persona 3 Portable.
Hey guys, a good while back I was playing this on PPSSPP and had no problems but now that I'm playing again (Getting ready for Persona 5) there's stuttering in the voice audio that's really annoying. I've tried the stable build and the GIT build as well as messed with the audio latency to no avail. I really appreciate the help guys and look forward to hearing from you. EDIT: I'm playing on Windows 7 and my FPS is always stable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2015, 11:47 PM
RE: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
Merged.

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
02-17-2015, 12:46 AM
Try switching the audio backend setting to DSound. Also try disabling (or enabling?) Vsync.

Is the FPS stable even exactly when it's stuttering? If you have texture scaling on or other settings, it might just be that it's not able to keep up the FPS at the same moment it's playing the audio. Although, this problem should've improved in 1.0, if anything.

-[Unknown]
02-17-2015, 01:48 AM
(02-17-2015 12:46 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Try switching the audio backend setting to DSound. Also try disabling (or enabling?) Vsync.

Is the FPS stable even exactly when it's stuttering? If you have texture scaling on or other settings, it might just be that it's not able to keep up the FPS at the same moment it's playing the audio. Although, this problem should've improved in 1.0, if anything.

-[Unknown]

Hey I fixed the problem, I set CPU Clock to 1000, Load ISO in RAM, Multithread, Real clock sync, maxed out the graphics in D3D9 x10 resolution so on so forth. Works like a charm now. Thanks for the quick response though!
02-17-2015, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 08:14 AM by [Unknown].)
Hmm, so using higher graphics settings made it play smoother?

D3D9 is the subpar rendering engine (because it doesn't support a couple things like dual source alpha, which we need to emulate PSP oddities correctly), generally, unless you're using a graphics card that doesn't like OpenGL. You'll get less graphical glitches using OpenGL so prefer that if the speed is roughly the same.

-[Unknown]
02-17-2015, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 01:34 PM by Guiltygod.)
(02-17-2015 08:14 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Hmm, so using higher graphics settings made it play smoother?

D3D9 is the subpar rendering engine (because it doesn't support a couple things like dual source alpha, which we need to emulate PSP oddities correctly), generally, unless you're using a graphics card that doesn't like OpenGL. You'll get less graphical glitches using OpenGL so prefer that if the speed is roughly the same.

-[Unknown]

There isn't any difference in frame rate with either for me, I only choose D3D9 since AMD card utilize it more efficiently than OpenGL (Compared to Nvidia) however I'll stick with OpenGL from your information. Luckily I haven't run into any graphical errors in any of the games I've played using the emulator. Thanks for the reply.
03-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Hi new guy here :)
Hi guys i recently started persona 3 and I love it to death but i have a small problem it keeps crashing during my time in the tower (mostly when i walk around I don`t remember if it has happened during battle) also the frame rate during a combo attacks and persona summons drops down significantly.

Does anyone have any kind of solution for this i play the game on my tablet it`s a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 LTE:
1.5GB RAM
1.4 GHz Cortex A7 QuadCore
and sry i can`t find the exact model of the video card it says Mali 400 MP4 but that is the video chipset i don`t know if it qualifies as the tablet`s video card

I should also mention that i am playing the game in version 1.00 not 1.01 because i am afraid that if i upgrade the problem might get worse. Will the situation resolve itself if I update the ppsspp?
03-11-2015, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2015 08:17 PM by [Unknown].)
1. Are you using any cheats?
2. Are you saving in game, or using savestates?
3. Have you ever, even prior to saving or anything, used cheats in this game? Even maybe?
4. Do you have "multithreaded" off in your settings? Try turning it off.

Some people report this game works great, and others say it crashes. Some cheats for this game may cause permanent corruption of savedata (even after you're not using the cheat anymore), which is why I ask about cheats.

Also, savestates tend to "carry along" bugs, and so it's best to use real, in-game saves.

It's not likely that v1.0.1 will make things worse, as it was a very small release that fixed only a few issues (however, it's also not really likely to help for the same reason.)

Mali-400 MP4 is your video card, yes. To clarify a bit, it's not actually a "card" so to speak, since mobile doesn't actually use video "cards". Unfortunately, the drivers for this card don't seem to be super awesome, so it's not the most ideal card for PPSSPP. You might try disabling hardware transform in settings, which could possibly avoid crashes that might be happening in your driver (rather than in PPSSPP itself.)

-[Unknown]
03-11-2015, 09:36 PM
(03-11-2015 08:15 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  1. Are you using any cheats?
2. Are you saving in game, or using savestates?
3. Have you ever, even prior to saving or anything, used cheats in this game? Even maybe?

Some people report this game works great, and others say it crashes. Some cheats for this game may cause permanent corruption of savedata (even after you're not using the cheat anymore), which is why I ask about cheats.

Also, savestates tend to "carry along" bugs, and so it's best to use real, in-game saves.

It's not likely that v1.0.1 will make things worse, as it was a very small release that fixed only a few issues (however, it's also not really likely to help for the same reason.)

Mali-400 MP4 is your video card, yes. To clarify a bit, it's not actually a "card" so to speak, since mobile doesn't actually use video "cards". Unfortunately, the drivers for this card don't seem to be super awesome, so it's not the most ideal card for PPSSPP. You might try disabling hardware transform in settings, which could possibly avoid crashes that might be happening in your driver (rather than in PPSSPP itself.)

-[Unknown]

Hi Unknown and thanks alot for the very speedy reply.

1. Are you using any cheats?
- No since I started the game at beginner the need for cheat kinda removes itself since things are so easy.
2. Are you saving in game, or using savestates
- Both.I save as often as i can in the dorm and classroom (I am going to assume that you are familiar with the game) but to get through the dungeons i have to use the savestates or be doomed to start over from the entrance and also this eliminates my ability to farm the floors. I savestate very often too, right to the point where i savestate after each battle.
- Never. I found out that you can use cheats in PPSSPP about 2-3hours ago.
- I checked "multithreaded" was never on in my settings for this game (should it be?)

Let me also add a few facts. The problem with the crashes I am having only occur in the tower when I am exploring the rooms/corridors, in the other parts of the game I have never experienced any issues.
When i started playing I did not have any crashes, I even farmed the lower levels (1-20) for hours without even the slightest hint of a bug or crash.

Concerning the savestates again, I only use them in the tower, outside of it I keep it to the dorm/classroom save checkpoints (if there are others I have not reached them since i`m still in the 3rd month)

In regards to "disabling hardware transform in settings" before I do that I would like to know if there would be any consequences to doing so on the rest of my tablet (i.e. other apps, app-based games, movies, etc...)

Also it sometimes gives me a message "Hardware transform error falling back to software".
And to end it off I usually can deal with the low frame rate and lagging by holding down the play key (the one to the left from "select") since that seems to speed things up.
Sorry for the long post or any potential spelling errors.
03-12-2015, 03:13 AM
Multithreaded can cause crashes (because it results in less deterministic timing.)

So, sounds like you're not using cheats or anything that should cause these crashes. Can you share some savedata that can lead to the crash? How long does it usually take before it crashes? I have P3P but have not yet played it all the way through, too busy messing with emulators and such...

Can you try going through the area that crashes and not use any savestates, and see if it still crashes? I just want to make sure savestates are not involved in the problem.

The hardware transform setting is only a setting within PPSSPP; it will potentially make the game slower, but you can always turn it back on. When the setting is on (by default), PPSSPP asks your GPU to do lighting and transform work, which is faster. Unfortunately, the Mali-400 or its drivers have problems with this, and we often end up having to fallback to automatically turning off hardware transform anyway.

So, if you turn that setting off, it will avoid hitting some compatibility code that mostly only people with Mali-400 devices are hitting, and it'll avoid triggering the bugs in your driver that we're detecting there. I'm suggesting this part just to make sure that this stuff isn't what's causing your crashes.

By the way, this is exactly what causes that message you mentioned. We show it whenever we force the option off.

As far as the fast-forward key, I suggest turning on "Frameskip" (I'd set it to 1) and "Auto frameskip" in the settings. This is essentially what happens whenever you press that button (although it sets the frameskip higher.) You'll still get low FPS but at least it won't lag, it'll be skipping frames instead.

-[Unknown]
03-12-2015, 08:16 AM
(03-12-2015 03:13 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Multithreaded can cause crashes (because it results in less deterministic timing.)

So, sounds like you're not using cheats or anything that should cause these crashes. Can you share some savedata that can lead to the crash? How long does it usually take before it crashes? I have P3P but have not yet played it all the way through, too busy messing with emulators and such...

Can you try going through the area that crashes and not use any savestates, and see if it still crashes? I just want to make sure savestates are not involved in the problem.

The hardware transform setting is only a setting within PPSSPP; it will potentially make the game slower, but you can always turn it back on. When the setting is on (by default), PPSSPP asks your GPU to do lighting and transform work, which is faster. Unfortunately, the Mali-400 or its drivers have problems with this, and we often end up having to fallback to automatically turning off hardware transform anyway.

So, if you turn that setting off, it will avoid hitting some compatibility code that mostly only people with Mali-400 devices are hitting, and it'll avoid triggering the bugs in your driver that we're detecting there. I'm suggesting this part just to make sure that this stuff isn't what's causing your crashes.

By the way, this is exactly what causes that message you mentioned. We show it whenever we force the option off.

As far as the fast-forward key, I suggest turning on "Frameskip" (I'd set it to 1) and "Auto frameskip" in the settings. This is essentially what happens whenever you press that button (although it sets the frameskip higher.) You'll still get low FPS but at least it won't lag, it'll be skipping frames instead.

-[Unknown]

Yeah sure here`s the only savestate that i use.
"filedropper.com/ules013841000"

I just tested it out and it took me around 5-10min before the game crashed.

I tried turning off transform setting, it kinda seemed that the game was running better but a few min. after it still crashed.

In regards to the frameskip it was always set to 1 i tried setting it to 5-6-7 and it worked kinda better in 5. That is to say there still was lag in certian areas but not as bad as before. But then again the lag was never a huge problem for me the crashes were.
03-21-2015, 08:50 AM
Shocked RE: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
Saved a savestate before a certain area inside tartarus which will crash Android ppsspp for sure if explored (100% crash if I walk into that area). Turning off jit (dynarec) is the only way to avoid that crash. Using x8 exp cheat in that savestate.

ppsspp version: 1.0.1-191
Device 1: Lenovo A859, Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A7, Mali-400MP, 1gb ram
Device 2: Dual-Core 1 GHz Snapdragon, Adreno 203, 512mb ram
That crash and random crashes inside Tartarus occured on both devices.
03-28-2015, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2015 12:07 AM by Amorie.)
Hello. Im playing this game on a Galaxy S4 mini and i wanted to share my configuration with you guys. I was having issues before with the game crashing in tartarus a lot but i think i found out the problem thanks to some random anon, at least with my device.
Here it is:
Mode: Bufered rendering
Simulate block transfer: On
Frameskipping:1 (with auto frameskip)
Prevent FPS from exceeding 60: Off
Alternative speed :130
Rendering resolution: 2x
Display resolution: native
Mipmapping: On
Hardware transform: On
Software skinning: On
Vertex cache: OFF ( Is really important to have this OFF on this game, apparently leaving this option ON causes the crashes in tartaturus and also lag in critical hits)
Retain textures: off
Disable slower effects: on
Beizier curves:low

Fast memory: On
Multithreaded: On (this one is apparently safe on this game)
PSP clock: Default

I also have the "force GPU acceleration" in developer options of my phone turned On, be aware that turning this option drains the battery faster but i noticed less heating from my device when playing.

Great work with this emulator, devs. I don't know what kind of voodoo magic you used to create it. To be able to play PSP games on a phone is truly something that was untinkable ten years ago, but you guys made it possible.
UPDATE:It looks like turning off vertex cache only helps in the three first blocks in tartarus. Once you reach the relatively more graphically busy areas, the chance of the game crashing will be a lot higher, not to mention that there will be more framedrops in some areas. So far i haven't found out a configuration to prevent this so the only way to get through this game is using both the in-game save function and save states in tartarus.
04-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 portable
Having ang issue with this game. Everytime I get pass choosing wether boy or girl, the game doesn't continue anymore. The screen is just stuck with a black screen. Really need help out there. Thanks.

Also with dissidia 12, I can't get through story mode. After I enter "gateway to departure", again the game doesn't continue and screen is stuck with white screen.

If any of you know any solution to this I would be thankful.
04-13-2015, 11:04 AM
Merged.

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2