Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
Henrik ,, Optimization for Android ??
06-10-2013, 12:30 AM
RE: Henrik ,, Optimization for Android ??
(06-10-2013 12:08 AM)kenny43 Wrote:  It's because performance governor gets the cpu to the highest freq without going down, which means your device is up to 1.6Ghz and 2-4 cores without stop, so of course it would heat up.

And about multicore support, it's not very possible as it has been said before.. We're emulating a single core console, so it would very probably break many things, that's why sacha said as much they would push the audio to the second core which won't help so much (correct me if I'm wrong), not saying it's imposible though, just what I've read around here.

Nintendo wii has one core and dolphin emulator has dual core support at least (speedup).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2013, 02:03 AM
We can take some separate units onto a separate core, but we can't move the CPU onto a separate core. And the GPU, well, we've got what we've got. Audio is already (mostly) on a separate thread, I thought.

There's still a lot of room for improvements, though, multicore or not.

-[Unknown]
06-10-2013, 06:51 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 06:54 AM by Henrik.)
The audio mixer (and VAG decoder etc) is not running on a separate thread, neither is the Atrac3(+) decoder. When sceSasCore does hleDelay, we could hand off the work to a secondary thread and wait for it to be finished when the sceSasCore hleDelay returns, that'll get us a little bit of parallelism without any chance of anything breaking, I think. Same for any corresponding atrac3 decode function that does hleDelay.
06-10-2013, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 09:15 AM by VIRGIN KLM.)
(06-10-2013 06:51 AM)Henrik Wrote:  The audio mixer (and VAG decoder etc) is not running on a separate thread, neither is the Atrac3(+) decoder. When sceSasCore does hleDelay, we could hand off the work to a secondary thread and wait for it to be finished when the sceSasCore hleDelay returns, that'll get us a little bit of parallelism without any chance of anything breaking, I think. Same for any corresponding atrac3 decode function that does hleDelay.
Technicaly speaking, wouldn't things like the texture interpolator (and any quality improving method or anything that has little to do with straight emulation of PSP) be able to be moved to a different thread/core (simmilarly to Dolphin/PCSX2)?
This could speed up quite enough the emulator.
06-10-2013, 09:37 AM
The texture scaler is already threaded (but could possibly be done in the background while first displaying the unscaled texture, would lead to some annoying jumpiness though).
06-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Right now for Blackberry and Qt, I have the audio running in a separate thread (the loop that runs NativeMix() ).
Also things like report uploads are on another thread.

Nothing major though.

Apparently we should get benefits from putting GPU on another thread.
06-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Yeah but NativeMix doesn't do much, it just pops audio off of a queue.
06-10-2013, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 11:33 AM by VIRGIN KLM.)
(06-10-2013 09:37 AM)Henrik Wrote:  The texture scaler is already threaded (but could possibly be done in the background while first displaying the unscaled texture, would lead to some annoying jumpiness though).
Sounds reasonable for an optional feature. It would look like how games look when you jump between mipmap versions of one texture, not a big deal.
06-10-2013, 09:27 PM
IF you enable cheats on android it wont load any game Tongue please fix it
06-10-2013, 09:41 PM
(06-10-2013 09:27 PM)Pistolaobr Wrote:  IF you enable cheats on android it wont load any game Tongue please fix it

No threadjacking...
06-10-2013, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 11:18 PM by cloud1250000.)
(06-10-2013 12:30 AM)pepodmc Wrote:  
(06-10-2013 12:08 AM)kenny43 Wrote:  It's because performance governor gets the cpu to the highest freq without going down, which means your device is up to 1.6Ghz and 2-4 cores without stop, so of course it would heat up.

And about multicore support, it's not very possible as it has been said before.. We're emulating a single core console, so it would very probably break many things, that's why sacha said as much they would push the audio to the second core which won't help so much (correct me if I'm wrong), not saying it's imposible though, just what I've read around here.

Nintendo wii has one core and dolphin emulator has dual core support at least (speedup).

Well psp isn't like a wii.

Anyway, Merivex, in my case, I see a big improvement on my htc one (vs my xperia play)...

(06-09-2013 07:49 AM)hsark Wrote:  ya i don't see any speed improvements coming to android yet like the past(JIT etc.) .....not sure about this but maybe the idea is to sort out pc first then... andriod wud be nice as i would love to replace wonkie psp2000

compatibility then speed ?

Well, the recent commitments are mainly related to video and audio... which is good for both computer and android version of the emulator... since they need to fix things on that side... why would they even care about optimisation for android....

Have a nice day Wink

Hey everybody, tired of the way games are reported here? look here ->> http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5901

--Current Mobile device--
Htc one, Xplay, Walkman z, Samsung ace IIx (crap)

--Current Computer--
1x (e8200, shitty ram (3go), 9600gt)
1x (e6750, better ram (2go), no video card)
1x (i5-3210M, ram (4Go),650M)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2013, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 12:30 AM by Merivex.)
(06-10-2013 11:10 PM)cloud1250000 Wrote:  
(06-10-2013 12:30 AM)pepodmc Wrote:  

Well psp isn't like a wii.

Anyway, Merivex, in my case, I see a big improvement on my htc one (vs my xperia play)...

Yes .. I said, I see there are MANY IMPROVEMENT but not in the PERFORMANCE ^_^ .. ppsspp runs well (always 60-66vps for some games) .. but only after I root my sgs 4 and set the gorverner to performance Smile

Smartphone : Samsung Galaxy S4
Console : Playstion Vita
PSN ID : Merivex95<<<[Add me!]
06-11-2013, 12:32 AM
ahah sorry I meant in all way... performance, graph and sound.. except a little delay vs the xperia play when playing projec diva Wink

Hey everybody, tired of the way games are reported here? look here ->> http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5901

--Current Mobile device--
Htc one, Xplay, Walkman z, Samsung ace IIx (crap)

--Current Computer--
1x (e8200, shitty ram (3go), 9600gt)
1x (e6750, better ram (2go), no video card)
1x (i5-3210M, ram (4Go),650M)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2013, 12:46 AM
(06-11-2013 12:32 AM)cloud1250000 Wrote:  ahah sorry I meant in all way... performance, graph and sound.. except a little delay vs the xperia play when playing projec diva Wink

Oohh Wink Yes . . at first I didnt see any improvement in the performance . The problem is fix when I root my sgs4 and set the gorverner to performance(default is ondemand) with no frills cpu .. If u read all the post ,, I already said about this Big Grin Big Grin Yes PPSSPP has improve .. but only root user can get the actual speed .. how about other people that doesnt want to root their phone ? ppsspp LAG on unroot device Big Grin Tongue

Smartphone : Samsung Galaxy S4
Console : Playstion Vita
PSN ID : Merivex95<<<[Add me!]
06-11-2013, 03:39 AM
So I was skeptical about messing with the cpu clock. But I had previously purchased setcpu ( same thing as no frills) But on my galaxy s4 snapdragon. I set it to lock at my highest frequency 1890mhz and it definatly smoother in the games I tried(wipeout pules/initial d)

I also have a widget of my true cpu temp. Right after unlocking irs about 88f after some heavy gaming its 130-140f getting into the redline but that takes a while. With the locked frequency in setcpu it got to 156f after 10mins! That is near the very top of the redline

Alyhough performance is definatly more constant smoothness I uninstalled it. A but too hot for me

Xperia Play 2.3.3