Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
When should I report an issue?
03-16-2017, 10:12 AM
When should I report an issue?
I'm having an issue with a game, Death Jr. 2, running MUCH more slowly than any other game I've tried. It's completely unplayable unless I check Disable Slower Effects, then it runs fine.

The game doesn't seem the most graphically intense game, nor is there a lot of action on the screen, so it seems odd that it runs more slowly than any other game I've tried. The only other game I had slowdown on was Spider-Man 3 at the start when there are a lot of particle effects on the screen. This game doesn't have anything like that.

I don't want to waste the devs' time if this isn't really an issue, but on the other hand, if PPSSPP is having issues playing this game, they should probably know about it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2017, 11:27 AM
RE: When should I report an issue?
If you think that you have found an issue, post it here.
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues

But it is possible that game simply runs badly on emulator. That happens.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
03-16-2017, 12:36 PM
(03-16-2017 11:27 AM)Asferot Wrote:  But it is possible that game simply runs badly on emulator. That happens.
That's why I didn't want to just rush ahead and post it as an issue.
03-16-2017, 05:54 PM
How about meeting the guy half way, is there not a way of placing in that games particular .ini file, a line that instructs the emulator to make sure Disable Slower Effects = 1 - when this game is selected, cures the problem, from where i am standing.
03-16-2017, 08:41 PM
Disabling slower effects does exactly what it says. It's a speedhack which sacrifices effects that are very hard to emulate(aka slow) on modern devices.
The results of some of those effects might be subtle or potentially even hidden or broken by other settings so user might in some cases get a reasonably problem free speedup, but it's really not a reason to promote enabling speedhacks by default, things that one person doesn't even notice will be end of the world for someone more passionate about accuracy.

But yeah PPSSPP supports per game settings, you can create them from pause or game/info screen so just set it once for the game you have to use this speedhack and if it doesn't drasticaly degrade what you see on the screen - enjoy.

We keep some issues opened for games that are unreasonably slow by some hardcore to emulate effects, but realistically not much can be done about it. Maybe in the future some low level vulkan magic or some other new tech will help those cases, but the situation on older hardware will never improve.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
03-16-2017, 09:37 PM
(03-16-2017 05:54 PM)The Phoenix Wrote:  How about meeting the guy half way, is there not a way of placing in that games particular .ini file, a line that instructs the emulator to make sure Disable Slower Effects = 1 - when this game is selected, cures the problem, from where i am standing.

meeting guy half way would be if we get some info about which option/speedhack could help game run faster/smoother

like we all try different games so there could be thread with info about disabling or enabling this or other option help run game faster (pretty much like 60fps patch thread)

as for emu well there could be a tip like when you FOR EXAMPLE launch death jr 2 and its slow as hell you then go to options and as this tip lets say "OPTION X" have red font or have " ! " this mark next to it

but in the end most ppl after getting certain game to work smooth enough to be playable just complete it and dont care about it anymore

so i guess thats why there is not much interest in that after all

Try AntiMicro graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad/controller.
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=12513
or http://www.x360ce.com
03-17-2017, 04:17 AM
(03-16-2017 05:54 PM)The Phoenix Wrote:  How about meeting the guy half way, is there not a way of placing in that games particular .ini file, a line that instructs the emulator to make sure Disable Slower Effects = 1 - when this game is selected, cures the problem, from where i am standing.
Yes, that can already be done. My concern was that if this was an emulation issue, it could potentially affect other games.

(03-16-2017 08:41 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Disabling slower effects does exactly what it says. It's a speedhack which sacrifices effects that are very hard to emulate(aka slow) on modern devices.
So far, that's the only game it's worked on. Other games that run slowly don't seem to be affected by it. The two Pursuit Force games need frameskipping to run at a decent speed for me, and Test Drive Unlimited runs painfully slow no matter what I do.

Those games I can understand though. Pursuit Force is afast game with quite a bit going on and Test Drive Unlimited seems to model an entire city.

Death Jr. II just seemed like the kind of game that wouldn't be that demanding.

(03-16-2017 08:41 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  We keep some issues opened for games that are unreasonably slow by some hardcore to emulate effects, but realistically not much can be done about it. Maybe in the future some low level vulkan magic or some other new tech will help those cases, but the situation on older hardware will never improve.
I understand. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't running slowly because of a problem.

Now I'm getting the error message "Too many samples to read. This shouldn't happen." in a couple racing games with the recent builds, but not in 1.3. I haven't yet tested to see what version it started with.
03-17-2017, 05:27 AM
I would say if a game becomes unplayably slow on reasonably modern hardware with default settings, it's a bug that should be reported on GitHub. If it's just slow on old hardware, or just slow with settings like Texture Scaling or Render Resolution cranked up, then I'd suggest it's not necessarily a bug that anyone can do anything useful about.

That being said, the slow effects are the effects that are hard to emulate - not necessarily that are more amazing.

The PSP allowed games to "peek behind the curtain" if you will, and monkey with the guts of rendering. Modern graphics cards are so advanced, they can't allow this - but the ways you can do things "the right way" are all amazing and fast. Unfortunately, when a PSP game does it "the wrong way" it's like looking at some woodshop project where the builder really didn't think through how cabinet doors require space to swing open. Translating that to "the right way" usually means "slow".

But maybe we can look at this game's crazy cabinet and understand what insanity they were trying to do, and translate it better.

-[Unknown]