Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Realistic Performance Measures of "Modern" PowerVr/Mali GPUs on Android?
07-02-2013, 02:12 AM
RE: Realistic Performance Measures of "Modern" PowerVr/Mali GPUs on Android?
I don't know all the details here, but from what I do know, the biggest speed problem you could see is when shaders fail to compile (which is likely a driver bug.) When this happens, we fall back to software rendering which is much slower, but at least still renders things.

Here's a list of recent reports of games with bad shaders (not all of them are Mali or PowerVR):
http://report.ppsspp.org/logs/kind/39

For example, from that list these games are probably pretty slow on Mali:
MONSTER HUNTER PORTABLE 2nd G, Dante's Inferno™, God of War: Chains of Olympus, PES 2013, TEKKEN 6, TEKKEN DARK RESURRECTION, AKIBA'S TRIP, etc.

For the games like Trails in the Sky and Class of Heroes, you probably won't run into these problems, so that's good. The other problem is issues with alpha/color tests. It seems like due to some rounding issues, some things incorrectly display/don't display. We'll probably eventually find a good way to improve this, but right now that can lead to graphical issues on some devices.

I'm using an Adreno and it hasn't had these issues. But others have reported issues with e.g. Disgaea, and it really depends on whether the game uses it or not.

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Realistic Performance Measures of "Modern" PowerVr/Mali GPUs on Android? - [Unknown] - 07-02-2013 02:12 AM