Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Using a mouse as a controller
06-30-2018, 06:03 AM
RE: Using a mouse as a controller
(06-26-2018 04:54 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Definitely not goint to test a game which I don't have.
I'm sure there are plenty of other games that use the face buttons for controlling the camera.

(06-26-2018 04:54 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Mouse control works perfectly fine aside of mouse scroll which doesn't work despite being mappable.
It may work perfectly fine as an analog controller, but the performance is rather poor when mapped to buttons, to the point that having it be able to do that seems kind of pointless.

(06-26-2018 04:54 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  The primary difference between glovePIE and PPSSPP using settings I wrote aside of refresh rate which I have no clue what is in GP,
I have no idea either. You can run GP with my script and then switch to something like Notepad to see how it translates mouse movements into printable characters. I did once see a script for GP that the author said would adjust the mouse sensitivity, but I'm not sure how it worked. It may have just added a delay for cases where the mouse is too sensitive.

(06-26-2018 04:54 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  but in PPSSPP it's determined by the game would be the fact that you're translating mouse movement to buttons in GP which is NOT the case in PPSSPP where mouse movement is always translated to gamepad axis before mapping can make use of it.
I'll take your word that that's how it works, but my questions is why does it work that way? The analog stick and buttons are two different types of input, wouldn't it make more sense to handle them differently?

Maybe when mapped to a button, simply watch for mouse movement in the given direction and while the mouse is being moved, repeatedly press whatever button is mapped to it. Maybe have a sensitivity slider to adjust how fast the button presses are sent so that the user can speed up or slow down the rate.

I mean I'm not asking that the program have a whole section dedicated to mapping the mouse to the buttons or that there be specific settings for individual games, just that it bypasses the analog routine when a user maps a button to the mouse so that it works more like GP.

(06-26-2018 04:54 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  It works perfectly fine when mapped to analog PSP input, that's what it was made for and how it was tested.
Unfortunately, not every FPS game on the PSP lets you use the analog stick for aiming.

(06-26-2018 04:54 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  I never tested that and might not bother since I consider playing games with no analog support whatsoever with a mouse somewhere between complete lack of fun and masochism
But others may want to play them, especially if they're exclusive to the PSP. And such games become much more playable (in my opinion) when you can properly map the controls to the mouse. It's not perfect, but it can be quite usable.

(06-26-2018 04:54 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  and I really only like using mouse when game is modded with boosted analog accuracy and real analog patch that supports full range of analog and removes acceleration
I agree that true mouse control is the best. However true mouse control isn't available for all games, so when a game uses the face buttons to move the camera, faking it with the mouse is the next best thing.

I don't claim that it's a good replacement for true mouse control, just that it's better than nothing if the alternative is using the buttons.

(06-26-2018 04:54 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  and I really don't have time to sit there and mass produce such patches despite them being doable in all games quite easily compared to properly working and not buggy fps patches for eample;p.
I wouldn't expect you to, which is why I was looking for a simple solution that could be used with unpatched games.

I delayed responding to this message because I wanted to make a video comparing three different control methods, gamepad, internal mouse control and GlovePIE. I've never tried recording the screen before, so I searched for a freeware program that would work under XP, selected the best options I could and made a video. I've never uploaded anything to YouTube before so rather than mess around and possibly have it degrade the video, I just uploaded it to SendSpace. If you don't want to try GlovePIE yourself, can you please at least watch the video? It's only 17MB.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/uvygb4

All three were done with all the game's control settings on the default. The only thing I changed was to invert the Y axis. I didn't alter the sensitivity to try and fine tune either mouse control method. For the internal mouse control, both the sensitivity and smoothing sliders were at max. For all three, I moved the camera around a little, tried some fine movements, then I aimed at two lights in the distance, as if I was aiming at enemies, finally centering the aim on the junction of a set of windows before moving to the next control method. I paused the recording after the internal mouse control so that I could deactivate it and activate GlovePIE. The yellow circle around the mouse pointer was adding by the recording software, I couldn't find a way to turn it off. You don't see that when actually using GP.

Note that the times during the internal mouse control when there's no movement were because I was trying to make fine movements with the mouse and it just wasn't registering.

Of the three, you'll note that the most precise control was achieved with GP and that was without tweaking the game's settings, which can make it even better. Is it perfect? No, not by a long shot, but it's better than the alternatives. I'd just like to see PPSSPP able to do that without having to use an external program.

On the other hand, if this is deemed to be too much trouble to add to PPSSPP can I PLEASE have an option to permanently hide the mouse pointer while running a game in fullscreen mode? Then I'll just use GlovePIE and call it a day.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Using a mouse as a controller - Rekrul - 06-25-2018, 05:07 PM
RE: Using a mouse as a controller - Rekrul - 06-26-2018, 03:11 AM
RE: Using a mouse as a controller - Rekrul - 06-30-2018 06:03 AM
RE: Using a mouse as a controller - ZeroX4 - 07-01-2018, 02:00 PM
RE: Using a mouse as a controller - Rekrul - 07-01-2018, 08:51 PM
RE: Using a mouse as a controller - ZeroX4 - 07-02-2018, 09:12 PM
RE: Using a mouse as a controller - Rekrul - 07-02-2018, 10:53 PM
RE: Using a mouse as a controller - Rekrul - 07-03-2018, 08:41 PM