The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 795 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 795 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Using a mouse as a controller
06-25-2018, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2018 05:45 PM by Rekrul.)
Using a mouse as a controller
First off, let me state that I know full well that using a mouse to fake button presses for moving the camera is never going to be the same as real mouse support. I'm perfectly 100% OK with that.

The problem is that unless I'm doing something wrong, PPSSPP's implementation of mouse control doesn't seem to work very well.

I've enabled mouse support in the control section, the sensitivity is turned up to max, but yet when I go to control mapping and click the "M", I have to move the mouse a lot to get it to recognize that I'm moving the mouse. This problem carries over into the game. On Syphon Filter's default settings, moving the mouse barely makes the camera twitch. I have to turn them all up to max and even then, it still feels sluggish.

You might say that this is just the nature of using a mouse in place of buttons, but you'd be wrong. There's a program called GlovePIE that can read the mouse and output key presses to fool programs. I used the following script to allow the mouse movements to send the default keys that PPSSPP uses for the face buttons;

Code:
s = delta(Mouse.DirectInputY) < -1
z = delta(Mouse.DirectInputY) > 1
a = delta(Mouse.DirectInputX) < -1
x = delta(Mouse.DirectInputX) > 1

Using this, the game is MUCH more responsive than PPSSPP's own mouse support, even with the game settings at the default.

Mission accomplished, right? Unfortunately no. Using a program/script that translates mouse movements into key presses messes with all sorts of things while you're just trying to run the program or even to select games from the opening screen because PPSSPP keeps seeing key presses as you move the mouse.

Also, there's apparently no way to permanently hide the mouse pointer in fullscreen. When you move the mouse, it re-appears, and you'll kind of be moving the mouse a lot if you're using it for controlling the camera. Apparently the only way around this, since it was deemed not important that PPSSPP permanently hide the pointer in fullscreen mode, is to set Windows to use a blank pointer image, which makes even undoing the change a pain in the butt.

So the point is, why is PPSSPP's native mouse input so slow and is there any way to increase it? Remember, the sensitively slider is at max.

EDIT:

OK, now it's making a liar out of me. I tried it last night and results sucked, but I just tried using mouse control in PPSSPP and it worked better. Although using GlovePIE gives a smoother feeling of control. Using PPSSPP's mouse control feels kind of twitchy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Using a mouse as a controller - Rekrul - 06-25-2018 05:07 PM
RE: Using a mouse as a controller - Rekrul - 06-26-2018, 03:11 AM
RE: Using a mouse as a controller - Rekrul - 06-30-2018, 06:03 AM
RE: Using a mouse as a controller - ZeroX4 - 07-01-2018, 02:00 PM
RE: Using a mouse as a controller - Rekrul - 07-01-2018, 08:51 PM
RE: Using a mouse as a controller - ZeroX4 - 07-02-2018, 09:12 PM
RE: Using a mouse as a controller - Rekrul - 07-02-2018, 10:53 PM
RE: Using a mouse as a controller - Rekrul - 07-03-2018, 08:41 PM