Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can PPSSPP run DLC for Turbografx16 games ?
09-11-2017, 02:06 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2017 01:11 PM by LunaMoo.)
RE: Can PPSSPP run DLC for Turbografx16 games ?
Turbografx 16 games all come in similar format ~ a small app(eboot / or iso extracted from it) + dlc, you need both, dlc will not run on it's own.

As far as compatibility of those pc engine classics goes, they are emulated, but it's one of the few cases where emulator inside another emulator actually works pretty well and does not suffer from any weird issues. At least not ppsspp specific ~ they might get framedrops or whatever problems from their own emulation;p.

Edit: I forgot how the file structure looked and why it might be confusing since I rename all my eboot's and store them separately;p, anyway a simple guide ~ it will look same for all pc engine games released for psp.
1. Extract pkg from PSN.
2. Browse folders and to make it simple, just rename "gameID\USRDIR\CONTENT" to "gameID\USRDIR\gameID". That folder should have a few files: CONTENT.DAT and PSP-KEY.EDAT are the "DLC" and EBOOT.PBP is the app.
3. Copy the newly renamed gameID folder with dlc files into ppsspp game folder(memstick\PSP\GAME). From now the game should be visible in the homebrew & demos tab, if like me, you don't want that since it's not a demo nor homebrew, just move EBOOT into some separate folder, it can be renamed as well.
If the game boots, but stops at "loading" it means you're missing "DLC" files or made a typo when renaming folder(best just copy paste it;p).

And a bonus just to confirm it's playable ~ Aldynes on ppsspp:

(and really I would say all of those pc engine games are perfectly playable and don't particulary need testing, english or japanese they use same emulator, even their manuals are based on same templates;p)

One more thing before I forget, the reason why they all work same and without problems is also the reason why features like texture scaling or replacement will not work on any of those games(outside emulator menus where those features will still work, in fact it's easy to make a translation of those via ppsspp texture replacementTongue), so the only way to upscale graphics is via post process shader like 5xBR and for those to get decent results original resolution is required. It can be selected when first starting the game, or in-game with R key, also by going to emulator menu with L key and changing sukurīnsaisu("スクリーンサイス") to orijinaru("オリジナル") then saving changes with X, other screen sizes are just too blurry for post process to make a difference.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can PPSSPP run DLC for Turbografx16 games ? - LunaMoo - 09-11-2017 02:06 AM