The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 795 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 795 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Aircraft models in Ace Combat X, and modding possibilities.
01-13-2017, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2017 05:54 PM by Broth3r.)
Aircraft models in Ace Combat X, and modding possibilities.
Apologies if this isn't the proper forum for it, but I figured this was a technical matter that fell outside the normal compatibility thread.

Though Ace Combat X reuses a lot of assets from its PS2 brethren, Ace Combat 04 and 5, it had to downscale the quality of its aircraft models. Below are examples of one in the pre-mission hangar, and in flight.

.jpg  ULUS10176_00001.jpg (Size: 275.22 KB / Downloads: 913)

.jpg  ULUS10176_00002.jpg (Size: 401.42 KB / Downloads: 778)

There is, however, an aircraft records screen, where one see their individual statistics for each aircraft and examine them in 360º. Thing is, the quality of the aircraft models in this screen is remarkably better.

.jpg  ULUS10176_00003.jpg (Size: 240.72 KB / Downloads: 731)

Plenty more examples of this disparity in this video. As I mention in it, I believe the models were downscaled for performance, as even then ACX suffered from occasional frame drops, but retained in the aircraft records page as a sort of Forza-style Autovista.

But more to the point, the hardware limitations are no longer an issue on the emulator. And considering that disparity is not present in the PS2 games, and what ACX shared with them, I think it would be possible to replace the downscaled flyable models with those.

Sadly, however, that's where my expertise ends. I simply have no idea where to even begin. Thus, I would like to ask if anyone could steer me in the right direction. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Aircraft models in Ace Combat X, and modding possibilities. - Broth3r - 01-13-2017 05:51 PM