Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Nexus 7 (2012 version) not powerful enough?
03-02-2015, 02:51 PM
RE: Nexus 7 (2012 version) not powerful enough?
(03-02-2015 06:40 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Star Ocean will run best on Tegra 3 at a lower render resolution. It does some tricky things with stencil buffers that make it not very efficient to emulate.

It's not always best to assume that a game that is mostly 2D ought to run super duper fast.

Star Ocean is imho not very playable without this stencil buffer handling, which is exponentially expensive with higher render resolutions. Most other games (even demanding ones like God of War) never do these tricks, and therefore are not impacted by this issue. It took a good bit of work to get Star Ocean to be playable.

However, you will get full speed if you disable stencil testing (in speed hacks), although characters will always be in front of things and some other graphical glitches will occur.

-[Unknown]

Damn, that's what I was afraid of, so really, either I have objects with proper layering, or I disable stencil buffering, get faster framerates, but at a cost of corrupted layering. I know it took a good amount to get it into a playable state, and I appreciate all the work your team has done. That being said, I simply believe that my tablet is s**t and simply will never be able to play any game at fast speeds without sacrificing graphical accuracy and making the games in an unplayable state as far as graphics go...ugh. Sad So, besides disabling that, do I just need to change the emulation settings for every game I run? See, this is what I was afraid of, truth be told, and as far as the N7 tablet goes, I can't exactly, heh, return it or trade it in, as I was the one who asked for it for Christmas, and the 2nd gen model is twice the price the 1st gen was on sale.

So in essence, I either disable stencil buffering and get faster speeds, or, I keep it on and get screwed with the framerate? Damn, double damn Sad *sigh* It seems that there will never be any games on the N7 that will run full speed. Man...

CPU - Intel Core i5 3570 3.4/3.8 GHz (Turbo Boost)
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 660 2 GB GDDR5
RAM - 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333
OS - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
HDD - 1 TB Western Digital 7200 RPM
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nexus 7 (2012 version) not powerful enough? - the_randomizer - 03-02-2015 02:51 PM