The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 795 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 795 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Doing some tablet/mobile research & picking one
01-06-2015, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2015 10:25 PM by Otakon7.)
Doing some tablet/mobile research & picking one
Hello

Nice to meet you and pardon for the intrusion on the forums Smile

You can skip the intro if you don't feel like reading Tongue

I've been recently thinking about getting a tablet as a replacement for my aprox 8 year old laptop (Dell Latitude D530, T7250). which isn't exactly in the best condition, as a placeholder for the Desktop which I will be getting someday in the future (and overall, having a mobile device is handy).

Now, since I'm not too familiar with mobile hardware, thought I'd ask for opinions on what I have now. I usually find it nice to evaluate hardware (mostly the CPU) based on how well it handles emulation, usually using one of the more demanding games for comparison, though naturally, it does depend on what you want from the hardware, but in fair number of cases, if it can handle emulation, it should handle the rest as well in the areas the hardware excels.

Now, I've been using PPSSPP as the judge (theoretically based on videos, since I don't yet own a tablet) and found a few devices which seem to have a pretty nice price/performance ratio, but I need some info on how the said hardware works from people who are actually familiar with it.

Intro ends here.

Let's see, I believe something like Tekken6 or FF7: Crisis Core would be medium to high demanding games to judge how well these would fare.

So, here is what I found:

On the (acceptable) low budget range of 100$, I found tablets running :
1. Intel Atom Z2520 (a "local" rebrand tablet)
- 2 GB RAM, 7 inch, Android 4.4, 3k mAh, SGX544 mp2

2. Rockchip 3188 (happens to be PiPO S1 Pro tablet)
- 1 GB RAM, 7 inch, Android 4.2, 3.2k mAh, ARM Mali-400 (mp2 I believe)

Now, these seem to run about equally, with the biggest issue being Intel, which I hear has some issues with Android devices, so I need some info on how things stand.

Then, slightly above in the 120$ range, I found these, which seems to be a bit better:
1. MT8127 Cortex-A7 (another rebrand)
- 1 GB RAM, 10 inch, Android 4.4, 5.5k mAh, Mali-450 mp4

2. Intel Atom Z2560 (ACER Iconia One B1-730HD)
- 1 GB RAM, 7 inch, Android 4.2, 3k mAh, SGX544 mp2 (some site list "intel HD" instead, but I believe it's one and the same no?)

From these two, I saw that the z2560 had decent success with PPSSPP, but once again, I don't know how "liked" Intel is. The #1 has a "problem" with being A7 as opposed to A9 but it does have a Mali-450 so I'm not sure how well that fares. The next best thing seems to be Z2580 at 150$, but I'd like to avoid going that "far" in terms of budget.

Well, that's that; I don't really have many options at the local stores but I do think they'll do to evaluate how strong these CPU+GPU are.

I apologize if this may seem confusing, if you have any questions or want to point something ask, feel free to speak up.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Doing some tablet/mobile research & picking one - Otakon7 - 01-06-2015 09:55 PM