Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
11-09-2018, 01:36 AM
RE: Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
(07-22-2017 08:07 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  The problem is this isn't a proper PSP game, it looks like it's running inside an emulator and has as a matter of fact similar problem to menus in many psp homebrew emulators - for some graphics it's direcly writing bytes to vram which can't be detected by rendering api's. Even with hacks it's unlikely to detect that properly without making it even slower than software rendering is.
You mean it's not a native PSP game. Anything that runs on a real PSP is "proper" code.

An emulator isn't supposed to care if a program does something differently than other software, it's supposed to simulate the real hardware closely enough that anything that works on the real system runs in the emulator. If the emulator only renders the graphics properly in hardware mode when a program operates a certain way and can't detect all graphics operations unless it's using software rendering, then I'd argue that hardware rendering is itself a speed-up hack since it's designed to work only under the right conditions.

(07-22-2017 08:07 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  As I wrote in post above this is not a regression, the hackish option which was showing some things mixed with glitches wasn't displaying correct graphics in this game either, there were many reasons to remove it and just like I warned above, it finally was removed.
OK, so when people used it, it didn't render the games 100% accurately and sometimes crashed. What other problems was it causing? I don't mean what problems did it cause when people used it, I mean what problems were being caused by that option existing in the graphics settings? Was the presence of that option sitting in the menu causing problems with the rest of PPSSPP? Did it magically toggle itself on?

People used this option when there was no other way to run a game at a playable speed on their systems. By removing it, you've effectively rendered this game and potentially others, unplayable in the latest versions of PPSSPP to anyone who doesn't have a high-end system.

Help me to understand how an entirely OPTIONAL setting in the menu was causing problems even if people chose not to use it, such that it HAD to be removed.

(07-22-2017 08:07 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Using software rendering was always the only way to display this game correctly and most likely as I explained in post above forever will be.
In other words, PPSSPP will never be a completely accurate emulator in anything other than software mode.

(05-27-2018 11:18 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  And again no, this game never worked correctly outside of software rendering, the hackish option was just showing everything, it was a mess and far from "ok", just because it made the game playable for some desperate people by showing characters doesn't mean it was worth keeping, that option was on a to-be-removed list for far too long, but just like other dangerous hacks that made some people happy in the past it had to go and will never return.
I just played a couple matches on PPSSPP 1.4.2 and other than the pause menu being partially obscured, I didn't see anything majorly wrong with it. All the characters looked like they should, the animations for their moves looked fine, the backgrounds looked normal and the game played fine.

(05-27-2018 11:18 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  You are free to use outdated PPSSPP version if using the broken hack makes you happy, PPSSPP was not made by m$ and does not include forced updates.
I get the impression that you're annoyed that people want to play a PSP release on a PSP emulator just because it doesn't fit your idea of what a proper PSP game should be and because people miss an OPTION that you personally didn't like.

(05-27-2018 11:18 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Edit: Oh and also you're not correct by calling it "just a PSP game", it's actually a very old game from different console generation which was at least partially emulated to run on PSP, but it does NOT work like a psp game and certainly wasn't written for PSP which causes all it's rendering problems.
Clever programmers figured out how to make the Commodore 64 do a lot of things that the designers never intended it to be able to do. These programs weren't "proper" in that they used undocumented tricks to get around the hardware's limitations. Yet C64 emulators strive to accurately reproduce these tricks because to not do so would mean that it wasn't truly emulating the original hardware.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower - Rekrul - 11-09-2018 01:36 AM