Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Adreno 420 (Snapdragon 805 - Galaxy Note 4) poor performance
07-22-2015, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2015 05:32 PM by cooliscool.)
RE: Adreno 420 (Snapdragon 805 - Galaxy Note 4) poor performance
Unknown - Nope, not in power saving mode, but the bottleneck has to be on the CPU side because performance doesn't change between rendering at 2560x1440 and 1x PSP resolution, and with or without texture upscaling (xBRZ, but I am not sure if this is a GPU or CPU implementation).

I'll root my phone and change the governor settings around. By default it is at interactive mode, according to CPUZ. Evidently PPSSPP isn't invoking an increase to full CPU clock speed, which makes no sense to me.

FF8 - Yeah, "many times faster" was hyperbole, sorry. Indeed, it really sucks to be dealing with shitty drivers. Those problems are of the past everywhere else; even Intel's GPU drivers are fantastic these days. Hate to see it again, especially for such powerful chips otherwise. I remember the horror of 3DFX and Intel's D3D and OpenGL drivers. Thankfully, at least the problems with the Adreno are not due to bad implementation of API functions, but bad optimization.

Fortunately here, I have concluded that the problem HAS to be with the CPU not scaling up properly, which I hope can be alleviated with a different governor setting, and I have been satisfied with its performance otherwise.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Adreno 420 (Snapdragon 805 - Galaxy Note 4) poor performance - cooliscool - 07-22-2015 05:08 PM