Thread Rating:
  • 21 Votes - 4.14 Average
Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device.
05-29-2014, 12:44 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 12:51 AM by solarmystic.)
RE: Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device.
Updated the guide to include the newly introduced "Simulate Block Transfer" option from v0.9.8-788-g0b0e3ca onwards.

Intended to be used with normal Buffered Rendering, this unfinished feature was developed to be a lightweight alternative to the much more heavier "Read Framebuffers to Memory" modes in games that required them (e.g. Ys Seven), but still carries a noticeable performance impact in games when enabled.

Currently, the performance hierarchy for Rendering Modes is as follows, from fastest to slowest:-

1. Non Buffered Rendering*

2. Buffered Rendering*

3. Buffered Rendering with Simulate Block Transfer

4. Read Framebuffers to Memory (GPU)

5. Read Framebuffers to Memory (CPU)

(*1 and 2 are interchangeable depending on your device's native resolution and game tested. Non buffered rendering causes PPSSPP to use the native resolution of your screen if full screen is used, which may be slower than the 1x or 2x Rendering Resolution options that Buffered Rendering allows you to select. On Retina devices like Ipad 3, buffered rendering + 1x Rendering Resolution could definitely be faster than non buffered rendering.)

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2014, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2014 01:59 PM by solarmystic.)
RE: Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device.
As the Simulate Block Transfers option gets perfected (thanks [Unknown]!) and the number of games it works for grows daily, I am now inclined to recommend that users keep it enabled at all times (plus Buffered Rendering of course) in the newest dev versions, since the speed hit with it on is almost non-existant if a game doesn't use the feature at all.

This is in contrast to the Read Framebuffer to Memory modes which incur a massive global speed hit on all games regardless of whether games need it or not. These options are actually due for removal in the near feature once we've dealt with the remaining stragglers that still require those options, which have now been substituted with the performance friendly Simulate Block Transfers option.

See this github thread for more details.

TL;DR:- Keep Simulate Block Transfers enabled unless you're really hurting for speed (e.g. on a low end Android mobile device.)

EDIT:- Updated the guide to reflect the re-instatement of the "Disable Alpha Test" speedhack for PowerVR users.

Windows 7 x64 SP1

8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
06-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Thank for update solarmystic Big Grin

I worse write english so take easy on me
(even my own language realy bad T_T)

Rig to test now :
Windows 8 64 bit (Laptop)
Intel® Core™ i3-3110M (2.4GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
Nvidia GT720M 2GB
06-22-2014, 05:30 AM
please help me it becomes 0.0 FPS

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-06-2014, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2014 07:39 PM by vnctdj.)
Please help me out??? I don't know so far what to do. I installed the emulator and downloaded the game. Everything is okay the image appears but I can't play. Then what seems to be the problem? May somebody give me an answer please.

I have a sumsung galaxy note. Table

Edit by vnctdj : Piracy is not allowed on our forum, please respect the rules.
07-09-2014, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2014 11:50 PM by solarmystic.)
Updated the guide to reflect the addition of the new "Disable slower effects (speedup)" option since v0.9.8-1579-gc60b14c.

This option is immensely beneficial for low end mobile users trying to squeeze every last bit of performance on their devices, but comes at a severe hit to graphical accuracy.

Expect major graphical glitches if you enable this option, PPSSPP was meant to be used with this option off if your device can handle it.

The option is enabled by default in the current dev builds (it shouldn't be) so if you're on a decent device, turn it off.

EDIT:- The option is now correctly disabled by default since v0.9.8-1582-g41601d7

Windows 7 x64 SP1

8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
07-19-2014, 11:51 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2014 12:00 AM by solarmystic.)
Updated the guide to reflect the addition of the new "Display Resolution (HW scaler)" option since v0.9.8-1658-gc61c116.

Set it to 1x PSP for the best performance, but be warned that it will also affect the emulator's own UI, which will look extra blurry on FHD/UHD devices.

The default setting is Auto (same as rendering).

Only for Android.

Windows 7 x64 SP1

8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
08-07-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm having pretty bad performance issues with my new Galaxy S5. I read the guide, I tried enabling Developer Mode and Forcing GPU Rendering, I've toggled all graphics and system options on and off and I don't know what to do. I used Clean Master to get down to 60% memory usage out of my 2gb of RAM... Not sure what to do, unless it has something to do with running off the SD card (SanDisk Ultra SDXC Class-10 128gb).

The weird thing is that resolution has absolutely no effect on my performance. I'm getting 8-10 FPS in Peace Walker at both 480x272 and 1920x1080. Makes me feel like it's not even using the GPU or something. I've seen videos of an Xperia with a 1.5GHz quad core and I have a 2.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon 801 with an Adreno 330. It's just certain games, Monster Hunter 3 and Peace Walker are the worst, Crisis Core runs well, Initial D runs OK. I just would expect pretty amazing performance out of this phone.
08-08-2014, 05:49 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2014 05:51 AM by TheDax.)
Snapdragons are pretty notorious for having bad performance in PPSSPP. I don't think anyone's really figured out why. According to Henrik, older ones have high overhead with certain graphical operations, but aside from that, I'm not really sure what can be done if the performance guide didn't help much.

I know that's not an ideal answer, but that's what I know of at this stage. Also, Peace Walker and MHP 3rd (one thing you could try for MHP 3rd is turning OFF software skinning, that tends to hurt its speed a lot) are both pretty demanding compared to a number of other games, so it's possible no mobile device can really run them well (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I tend to test more on the PC side of things, as my tablet is much too old to really run games with any realistically high speeds..).

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
08-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Successful maximizing the performance on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 with PowerVR and x86 cpu inside is done by:
- closing\disabling many of apps including system apps.
- NOMone resolution changer under 300x200 72 dpi
- Android Tuner Pro with performance mode of cpu. [Looks like Samsung did much for battery saving and also enabled interactive mode of cpu. But hard games require const performance.]
- disabling lazy texture caching and retain changed textures. I don't know why but without them Tekken 6, Soul Calibur, Wipeout Pure, Kingdom Hearts, The 3rd birthday work faster.
- disabling force depth write.

All of the games running at ~100%. But in Wipeout during the race with much of opponents on view speed drops. Without them or with ghost the game work smooth even in 2xPSP.

Also disabling Alfa test gave very little speedup and lots of wrong graphics.
With Fast Memory games freezes sometimes and I didn't see any speedup with it. So I turned it off.
08-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Hello, i found this thread my self i was not redirected.
I have a question I want to play MidNightClub 3 DUB Edition on my xperia Z Ultra which i understnd is a powehouse compared to most androids... The fact is that it is a 2.2MHz cuad-core and even after following this tutorial the game still runs extremly laggy, i mean, like 4 fps or something. In my pc when using non-buffered rendering, it runs like a charm and with no input lag, but here on my xperia it shows a black screen but only on the game because on the loading screens it does not... What is going on and how can i make the game run as it should?
08-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Information RE: Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device.
(08-17-2014 05:31 PM)reno911unlocred Wrote:  Hello, i found this thread my self i was not redirected.
I have a question I want to play MidNightClub 3 DUB Edition on my xperia Z Ultra which i understnd is a powehouse compared to most androids... The fact is that it is a 2.2MHz cuad-core and even after following this tutorial the game still runs extremly laggy, i mean, like 4 fps or something. In my pc when using non-buffered rendering, it runs like a charm and with no input lag, but here on my xperia it shows a black screen but only on the game because on the loading screens it does not... What is going on and how can i make the game run as it should?
Hi there,
It seems this is a high demanding game according to people on the correct thread found here: http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?...1#pid90271
08-17-2014, 06:52 PM
Yes i am shure it is but this phone with the multi threading enabled should be more than enough to be able to run it nicely :l
08-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Information RE: Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device.
(08-17-2014 06:52 PM)reno911unlocred Wrote:  Yes i am shure it is but this phone with the multi threading enabled should be more than enough to be able to run it nicely :l
Yes but what you don't realise is that the emulators Multi-threading function is not fully optimized yet, its basically still running on maybe 2 threads / cores max, that is in a few games that work under that setting being turned on, and a lot of GPU's in current phones or tablets are also not optimized yet, so the developers have a lot of work to do still, hence why the project is still in Beta, and why version 1 has not been released yet. Cool
08-17-2014, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2014 08:32 AM by vnctdj.)
That is more what i wanted to hear. So i have no other option to wait and see if it gets any better. Does the Flat Out game can run fine on this phone? Or i don't even bother downloading it.

Edit by vnctdj : Piracy is not allowed on our forum, please respect the rules.