Thread Rating:
  • 21 Votes - 4.14 Average
Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device.
08-14-2015, 04:18 PM
RE: Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device.
(08-14-2015 04:17 PM)Terminator Wrote:  Default settings seem to work fine, just 2D sprites have transparent lines in characters.

On any game?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-2015, 01:34 AM
RE: Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device.
Well Tekken 5 works great on default settings, only tweak i enabled was multithread to utilise the extra cores.
08-16-2015, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2015 05:14 PM by TheDax.)
Hello all,

I would like to know if there is an option to save all PPSSPP settings in a file so I can transfer this file to another device and install psspp again with settings saved. And really thanks alot to the creator of this topic it really helped me to maximize my psspp on windows Big Grin
08-16-2015, 03:43 PM
No need for the huge text. All settings are saved in memstick/PSP/SYSTEM/ppsspp.ini and memstick/PSP/SYSTEM/controls.ini.

-[Unknown]
08-18-2015, 02:27 PM
(08-16-2015 03:43 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  No need for the huge text. All settings are saved in memstick/PSP/SYSTEM/ppsspp.ini and memstick/PSP/SYSTEM/controls.ini.

-[Unknown]

Thank you for the quick answer Big Grin
08-22-2015, 05:45 PM
Multithreading seems to have been improved, previously I had ~ 52 fps in tekken 5 practice mode and now it's fullspeed, great achievement, although in standard mode (depends on stage) ~45 fps - needs frameskip 1 to be 30/60 and 100%, but sadly it cuts ~ 15 fps.

Samsung Captivate, Android 2.3.5 SAUROM, Corn Kernel v701
Fly Evo Chic 3, Android 4.4.2 Stock, improved stock kernel
08-24-2015, 03:49 PM
(08-22-2015 05:45 PM)vitality19 Wrote:  Multithreading seems to have been improved, previously I had ~ 52 fps in tekken 5 practice mode and now it's fullspeed, great achievement, although in standard mode (depends on stage) ~45 fps - needs frameskip 1 to be 30/60 and 100%, but sadly it cuts ~ 15 fps.

Good to know.

Later I will try Digimon Adventure again to see if my Nexus 5 uses 4 Cores now.....previously it used only 2 cores and the other remained free.
08-25-2015, 03:17 AM
PPSSPP doesn't have great options for using all 4 cores in a device. OpenGL is the main bottleneck, and is mostly locked to one core by virtue of how it works. Moreover, PSP games all ran on a single core device (the PSP) so none of them support multithreading. It's hard to teach old dogs new tricks, sometimes...

This could improve with Vulkan (which allows you to use multiple cores with OpenGL, speaking very basically), but Vulkan likely won't be supported on the Nexus 5, unfortunately. It will require newer devices.

-[Unknown]
08-31-2015, 11:36 AM
(08-24-2015 03:49 PM)farahjr Wrote:  
(08-22-2015 05:45 PM)vitality19 Wrote:  Multithreading seems to have been improved, previously I had ~ 52 fps in tekken 5 practice mode and now it's fullspeed, great achievement, although in standard mode (depends on stage) ~45 fps - needs frameskip 1 to be 30/60 and 100%, but sadly it cuts ~ 15 fps.

Good to know.

Later I will try Digimon Adventure again to see if my Nexus 5 uses 4 Cores now.....previously it used only 2 cores and the other remained free.

by multithreading I meant only two

Samsung Captivate, Android 2.3.5 SAUROM, Corn Kernel v701
Fly Evo Chic 3, Android 4.4.2 Stock, improved stock kernel
10-10-2015, 07:47 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2015 07:50 AM by Nickie.)
hey guys

i have just acquired a sony xperia z3 tablet compact
(snapdragon 801 quad core 2.5ghz/adreno 330 + 3GB ram)

and counter-intuitively, the multithreading option resulted in quite lower FPS (so i'm not reaching a playable average in wipeout pure or outrun2, games that don't strain the PSP too much for smoothness purposes)

i also don't understand how openGL would be the bottleneck when games (or some 3D-era other emulators, dreamcast anyone?) run flawlessly, in emulation, i'd expect the CPU to be maxing out very long before the GPU , so what's the deal there?

i know that qualcom's drivers are apparently awful but even then, the result appears renderable if you take the emulation aspect out of it, so is it really an adreno problem?
10-13-2015, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2015 11:48 AM by farahjr.)
(08-31-2015 11:36 AM)vitality19 Wrote:  by multithreading I meant only two

Oh shit...still no time to test. But i think i'm gonna test it today.
10-19-2015, 03:55 PM
I tried nfs undercover with max performance settings but the game still lag than nfs most wanted mw is better speed than uc..is there any fix???
10-19-2015, 05:01 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2015 09:14 PM by fivefeet8.)
(10-10-2015 07:47 AM)Nickie Wrote:  and counter-intuitively, the multithreading option resulted in quite lower FPS (so i'm not reaching a playable average in wipeout pure or outrun2, games that don't strain the PSP too much for smoothness purposes)

i also don't understand how openGL would be the bottleneck when games (or some 3D-era other emulators, dreamcast anyone?) run flawlessly, in emulation, i'd expect the CPU to be maxing out very long before the GPU , so what's the deal there?

i know that qualcom's drivers are apparently awful but even then, the result appears renderable if you take the emulation aspect out of it, so is it really an adreno problem?

Multi-threading performance will depend on the game. I've noticed it makes some other games run better, but makes others run worse. Also, you can't really compare emulators like Reicast to PPSSPP. Both are emulating different systems with difference performance bottlenecks and vastly different hardware to emulate.

Unfortunately, the problem is mostly with QC OpenGL drivers. They tend to have far worse driver overhead than their Tegra counterparts. If you look at the GFXBench driver overhead comparisons, it's very apparent what's slowing down Qualcomm Adreno devices. Plus, their OpenGL compliance is pretty crappy too as they don't really support OpenGl ES3.x extensions properly or not at all. PPSSPP doesn't use any advanced OpenGL es3 features, but it makes it problematic for emulators that do (Dolphin, GlideN64, uoYabause).

Take a look at this GFXBench comparison between a Tegra 4 device and the Adreno 330. The driver overhead test is interesting.
https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?benchma...28P1640%29
10-20-2015, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2015 11:37 AM by farahjr.)
(10-19-2015 05:01 PM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  Take a look at this GFXBench comparison between a Tegra 4 device and the Adreno 330. The driver overhead test is interesting.
https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?benchma...28P1640%29

What means onscreen and offscreen?

I know notthing about GPU techs like OpenGL,Direct3d etc... I have used PPSSPP for a long long time. I never noticed any performance upgrade from multi-core.

When i was having problem with Digimon Adventure I also monitored my processor em RAM and what i got is that it only uses 2 Cores(100%)...the other 2 cores remain stable at 1-5% and only react due background appps. I believe We could get more from the devices if PPSSPP could get all the cores.

I never could achieve a fair gameplay from Digimon Adventure on my Nexus 5 even with the worst graphics possible.

Plus that native resolution should get a HUGE performance upgrade but it doesn't...iit only make the image crapier and get an i get 2-3 more frames. And that is the biggest game I have also the only one wich lacks of performance.

But by the other hand Input multithreading seams to be more effective, at last on my device
10-20-2015, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2015 09:11 PM by fivefeet8.)
(10-20-2015 11:36 AM)farahjr Wrote:  What means onscreen and offscreen?

Onscreen means the benchmark is using the native device resolution to run the bench. Offscreen is the benchmark running at only 1080p no matter the device's native resolution.

(10-20-2015 11:36 AM)farahjr Wrote:  I know notthing about GPU techs like OpenGL,Direct3d etc... I have used PPSSPP for a long long time. I never noticed any performance upgrade from multi-core.

It probably depends on the CPU your device is using as well.

(10-20-2015 11:36 AM)farahjr Wrote:  Plus that native resolution should get a HUGE performance upgrade but it doesn't...iit only make the image crapier and get an i get 2-3 more frames. And that is the biggest game I have also the only one wich lacks of performance.

That means the bottleneck is somewhere else.