Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Need help with specific Graphic Setting for maximum image quality
09-10-2020, 05:29 AM
Question Need help with specific Graphic Setting for maximum image quality
Greetings,

Have any of you heard of a PSP game called "Grand Knights History"? It's a game with really nice visual design, and I really really loved it when I first started playing years ago. Now I really want to use the PPSSPP emulator to enable for some screen capturing/screenshots, however, there seems to be a persistent blurriness that I can't get rid of no matter which configuration I tried.

This is what it looks like in the original PSP
[Image: grak6_thumb.jpg]
[Image: grand_knights_history_screenshot_16.jpg]

This is what my screenshot looks like in the PPSSPP (on PC)
[Image: tHemnjP.jpg]

This is what I wish to achieve
[Image: Ph7lZDdo2OeGfdRs8KmMwzBg3PpZJ75h.jpg]
[Image: grand-knights-history-9a85c3a4-f7e2-41ff...e-750.jpeg]

Although the last two image were taken from the book of concept arts and are probably not rendered that way in game, I still wish to see if there are any other ways for me to try and improve image quality.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2020, 09:32 AM
RE: Need help with specific Graphic Setting for maximum image quality
The in-game textures are always very low res in PSP games, in many other games it's even worse. It might appear sharp on PSP, but if you run PPSSPP at x1 window size it would too.

The only ways to improve it would be texture upscaling, but in automatic form it's pretty meh as it doesn't fit most of the artstyle, other way would be to replace textures with higher res ones, good results for that required manual work in the past, but nowadays you can use some AI upscaling which tend to look nice and there are many variants of upscaling algorithms to try, texture replacement might not be easy for all games through, because some PSP games worked in very unconventional ways. If all you care about are screenshots you might as well AI upscale the screenshots themselves.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
09-15-2020, 03:42 AM
RE: Need help with specific Graphic Setting for maximum image quality
This game does a lot of block transfers, but I think most of them don't use effects. So in addition to what LunaMoo says above, you may be losing some quality if things are upscaled, then downscaled, then upscaled again.

Try creating a file PSP/SYSTEM/compat.ini and put inside it:

Code:
[BlockTransferAllowCreateFB]
ULJS00394 = true

Have not tried this - it might cause horrible graphic glitches. But it could also improve the resolution of some of these graphics. You'll still need to use upscaling using texture replacements if possible.

-[Unknown]