Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hot Shots (Everybody's) Tennis: Get a Grip
10-09-2019, 08:01 AM
Hot Shots (Everybody's) Tennis: Get a Grip
I have tried to get this game to hook up via ad hoc LAN -- on separate, local PC's, and on the same PC (using this method)... But, have had no luck.

The furthest I've gotten is:

• creating a lobby ("Club House") with the host player, with the second player unable to find the lobby (*the host cannot interact in the lobby, only hard reset the emulator from there... so, I'm unsure as to whether the lobby is created proper)
the game locking up at the "Initializing Network" prompt, just as the lobby is being created (*this tends to happen when using a single PC, via the 127.0.0.1 loop-back method)
• tested with 1.6.3, 1.7.4, 1.8, 1.9 and 1.9.3 builds
• tried different port offsets "0", "5000", "8000" and "8800"

So, is it possible to play this game via LAN-- either through two, local PC's plus router, or even on a single PC? Or, is Hot Shots / Everybody's Tennis: GaG not yet compatible with PPSSPP ad hoc multiplayer...?

(thanks)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2019, 05:43 AM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2019 05:52 AM by Sablicious.)
RE: Hot Shots (Everybody's) Tennis: Get a Grip
Subsequently, I've come to learn that the host player should actually enter the pre-match lobby (as distinct from sit at the "Entering room" screen, as occurs with PPSSPP). Moreover, using JPCSP, I once managed to momentarily join a multiplayer lobby -- using the 127.0.0.1 loop-back method... However, I have not been able to replicate this.

A user gave me some firmware update(?) for JPCSP -- the user who demonstrated successfully playing in MP in his YouTube video. Unfortunately, that hasn't helped in my case.

Does PPSSPP get updates that improve ad hoc MP compatibility?... Or is such development more or less dead / complete? It's really annoying having found such an enjoyable tennis game (literally, as rare as hen's teeth), only for it to be stuck in single-player -_-

PS: When I try the loop-back method using PPSSPP, the game locks up at the "Initializing Network" screen.
10-25-2019, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2019 11:22 PM by onelight.)
If you looking for a tutorial about jpcsp Multiplayer using LLE support,
This may be help you
60FPS KHBBSFM - Multiplayer Gameplay - Aqua(Fooni) & Terra(Killroy) VS Armor Of Eraqus

https://youtu.be/oxy_tBSZJGs
10-27-2019, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2019 08:56 PM by Sablicious.)
^ Whoa!... The advice listed on that video actually got the JPCSP working via the loop-back method on one PC! Thanks!

The only thing I still cannot get to work is LAN between two, local PC's... If it works via the 127.0.0.1 IP, should it not work across the 192.168.0.x / LAN too? ? Are there any other configuration settings that need changing in order for it to connect in LAN? I've got many other games that work in LAN -- only JPCSP seems to have the problem...

Another thing I just noticed: When I play on a Windows 7 computer, the controls schemes automatically assign to the correct instances of the emulators running (according to control configurations), and irrespective of which window is active. However, on Window 10, the controls only recognise the active window -- making multiplayer on one PC impossible (using Windows 10). Is there a reason why this inconsistency would be happening...? ?

--UPDATE--

Okay... I've found a pretty good method for playing 'local' multiplayer using JPCSP -- using the "Extend" function on one's PC monitor. In other words, I'm hooking my PC up to another monitor / T.V., connecting two JPCSP's (Server/Client) via the loop-back IP method, then "extending" the display to the secondary monitor. From here, I drag, say, player-2's game window over to the extended display -- resizing is as necessary -- and then play! In this configuration, it's arguably even better than LAN -- in that, there is next to zero latency, as well the set-up requiring only a single PC to accomplish (*it can be done "portably" / on the go).

Now, as for the controllers, the initial issue I had -- whereby, the game would not recognise inputs unless focused upon -- seems to have been rectified. I simply connect an Xbox360 gamepad (wireless) to player-1 side, and an Xbox One gamepad (wireless) for player-2 (configuring the respective emulators' input plugins accordingly) -- this seems to automatically discriminate the emulator instances, and irrespective of which window is focused upon.

Also, I had an issue with Windows 10, with the emulator window lacking a title bar -- making it a nightmare to try to arrange the emulators as required (for 'local' MP play). However, I have found a work-around, by simply hitting F12 and leaving the "Settings" window open (and then minimising it). This makes the title bar appear above the emulator window, allowing for dragging and manual resizing.

So, at time of typing, all is good: I can play Hot Shots Tennis: Get a Grip (one of the best tennis games in existence, IMHO) in multiplayer! ?☺? The only thing that would improve the experience would be for the more ergonomic PPSSPP emulator to support multiplayer as JPCSP does (*the host won't enter the lobby "room" with HS Tennis). Figuring out how LAN works, would also be a goal...

NB: I will test multiplayer more extensively over the coming weekend (for stability etc.) and report back any relevant findings. FYI, it's worked fine in the few hours of testing I undertook on my own (without playing the game per se).
10-28-2019, 01:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2019 01:34 AM by onelight.)
To play local LAN multiplayer, just run jpcsp at each PC.
If not find players, add Lan ip to Broadcasting address for each jpcsp. The jpcsp at pc1 add pc2's IP, and the jpcsp at pc2 add pc1's ip
10-28-2019, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2019 06:26 PM by AdamN.)
(10-09-2019 08:01 AM)Sablicious Wrote:  I have tried to get this game to hook up via ad hoc LAN -- on separate, local PC's, and on the same PC (using this method)... But, have had no luck.

The furthest I've gotten is:

• creating a lobby ("Club House") with the host player, with the second player unable to find the lobby (*the host cannot interact in the lobby, only hard reset the emulator from there... so, I'm unsure as to whether the lobby is created proper)
the game locking up at the "Initializing Network" prompt, just as the lobby is being created (*this tends to happen when using a single PC, via the 127.0.0.1 loop-back method)
• tested with 1.6.3, 1.7.4, 1.8, 1.9 and 1.9.3 builds
• tried different port offsets "0", "5000", "8000" and "8800"

So, is it possible to play this game via LAN-- either through two, local PC's plus router, or even on a single PC? Or, is Hot Shots / Everybody's Tennis: GaG not yet compatible with PPSSPP ad hoc multiplayer...?

(thanks)

The reason why the host frozen is probably a deadlock or registers corruption related to callback (which is one of the reason why i stopped working on multiplayer)

i'm not sure why those registers gets corrupted after returning from callback, probably because it didn't runs on it's own thread may be.. (while on JPCSP each callback seems to runs on their own PSPThread as i remembered)

When i tested with my old version of PPSSPP (the link is in my signature)
Player1(Host) can create room and select the character without freezing, and Player2(Join) can see the room(the room will be visible after Host selecting the character),
But when i try to join it the Host gets frozen with this error in the Debug Log: AdhocPdp_Thr E[NET]: HLE\proAdhoc.cpp:996 MatchingHandler: Callback Failed to Return within 250ms!

While with newer version of PPSSPP Host will get frozen when Host selecting the character, so Player2 won't be able to see the room since Player1(Host) PPSSPP no longer running properly

My Modified PPSSPP :
==============
Win32&64: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2t3mtdhb0f045cn/PPSSPP_1.11-testbuild_Win32x64.zip?dl=0
Android(ARMv7): https://www.dropbox.com/s/b41bm43mtn1gpnn/PPSSPP_1.11-testbuild_ARMv7.apk?dl=0
11-01-2019, 06:54 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2019 06:55 AM by Sablicious.)
(10-28-2019 01:34 AM)onelight Wrote:  To play local LAN multiplayer, just run jpcsp at each PC.
If not find players, add Lan ip to Broadcasting address for each jpcsp. The jpcsp at pc1 add pc2's IP, and the jpcsp at pc2 add pc1's ip
I tried that: 192.168.0.58 for player-1, and 192.168.0.167 for player-2... But, the game game does not create a lobby proper -- only sitting in the "Entering Room" screen (*no lock-up, just no progress from that point).
---

(10-28-2019 06:23 PM)AdamN Wrote:  Player1(Host) can create room and select the character without freezing, and Player2(Join) can see the room(the room will be visible after Host selecting the character),
But when i try to join it the Host gets frozen with this error in the Debug Log: AdhocPdp_Thr E[NET]: HLE\proAdhoc.cpp:996 MatchingHandler: Callback Failed to Return within 250ms!
I'm guessing that that's a similar issue to the what I'm having. The game does not "lock up" per se; it just sits (active) in the pre-lobby scree -- kind of in limbo, with all control interaction locked out.

As I stated earlier, the JPCSP works in multiplayer for this game: I tested multiplayer for a couple hours today, and had no crashes (besides one lock-up when one player restarted and another tried to exit their existing game -- restarts fixing this issue, without it ever re-occurred).

So, as it stands, I'm satisfied with single-PC multiplayer. Using the "extend display" function makes it the same as using two, separate emulators; and only one PC is required, which is handy. PPSSPP is a better / smoother / more ergonomic PSP emulator than JPCSP -- I'll keep an eye on it, in case the Ad Hoc functionality gets improved.

Thanks for all the help, guys/gals Shy
11-01-2019, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2019 02:58 PM by onelight.)
(10-28-2019 01:34 AM)onelight Wrote:  To play local LAN multiplayer, just run jpcsp at each PC.
I tried that: 192.168.0.58 for player-1, and 192.168.0.167 for player-2... But, the game game does not create a lobby proper -- only sitting in the "Entering Room" screen (*no lock-up, just no progress from that point).
---

I found a bug, jpcsp only start search lobby when 2 jpcsp runing,
after the 1st pc create a lobby, the 2nd should run 2 jpcsp and the 2nd jpcsp can find the lobby room

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-13-2019, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2019 02:52 AM by AdamN.)
I haven't found a clue to the reason of the freezing host, but now i can sometimes see the next screen before it got frozen. (a bit faded because the fading animation wasn't completed at the time the game frozen)

And i was able to get into the next screen without freezing on the host once, but not sure how to reproduce it again Sad

My Modified PPSSPP :
==============
Win32&64: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2t3mtdhb0f045cn/PPSSPP_1.11-testbuild_Win32x64.zip?dl=0
Android(ARMv7): https://www.dropbox.com/s/b41bm43mtn1gpnn/PPSSPP_1.11-testbuild_ARMv7.apk?dl=0
09-12-2020, 05:29 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2020 07:17 AM by Sablicious.)
Thumbs Down RE: Hot Shots (Everybody's) Tennis: Get a Grip
Version 1.10.3 update:

Game still does not connect in multiplayer, with the same / similar problem as in the previous version of the emulator: the game gets stuck at the "Entering match room" lobby screen, without actually entering the lobby proper. The game does not lock up, and the background music is still playing; but, players cannot enter the actual room. Same result for both IP and "loop-back" methods of connection.
09-12-2020, 08:11 AM
working PPSSPP 1.10.3-634, thinks AdamN and jpcsp

09-12-2020, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2020 08:22 PM by AdamN.)
(09-12-2020 05:29 AM)Sablicious Wrote:  Version 1.10.3 update:

Game still does not connect in multiplayer, with the same / similar problem as in the previous version of the emulator: the game gets stuck at the "Entering match room" lobby screen, without actually entering the lobby proper. The game does not lock up, and the background music is still playing; but, players cannot enter the actual room. Same result for both IP and "loop-back" methods of connection.
You need to use the latest dev build of PPSSPP from https://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

Btw, are you using Windows or Android?
I tested both Android and Windows are working fine

My Modified PPSSPP :
==============
09-18-2020, 12:01 PM
(09-12-2020 08:05 PM)AdamN Wrote:  You need to use the latest dev build of PPSSPP from https://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

Thanks a million for this! After some fiddling, I got it working via the loop-back method:
Code:
Enable networking/WLAN (beta, may break games) --------------------------- [x]
Change MAC address  ------------------------------------------------------ ... (*different for each player)
WLAN Channel Auto -------------------------------------------------------- Auto
Sent Discord "Rich Presence" information --------------------------------- [ ]
---
{AdHoc Server}
Enable built-in PRO ad hoc server ---------------------------------------- [x]
Change proAdhocServer Address (localhost = multiple instance) ------------ 127.0.0.1
---
{UPnP (port-forwarding)}
Enable UPnP (need a few seconds to detect) ------------------------------- [ ]
[UPnP use original port (Enable = PSP compatibility) --------------------- [x]]
---
{Misc (default = compatibility)}
Port offset (0 = PSP compatibility) -------------------------------------- 0
Minimum Timeout (override low latency in ms) ----------------------------- 1
TCP No Delay (faster TCP) ------------------------------------------------ [ ]

I haven't tried actual LAN yet -- I'll report back my results after I do. Irrespective, it's such a pleasure not having to use the temperamental, unreliable JPCSP... Which was such a pain in a butt.

Quote:Btw, are you using Windows or Android?

I've been using Windows 10.

BTW, I've noticed a bug of sorts, whereby the configuration setting changes for the second instance of PPSSPP (player-2) do not save, and the controller changes do not save for either instance / player. How does one get the emulator to save settings changes, such as for network configs. and controller re-mapping? It's not a biggie, just seems odd that one cannot manually save the changes... And, yes -- I did make the folder/s "writable".

NB: As a kind of work-around, I copied the "ppsspp.ini" from one root director of where it did happen to save the network settings, to the other one; and the XB1 controller I use for first instance of that game, is already configured by default anyway. The second install, though, which I'm using either another XB1 or XB360 gamepad with, does not save the controller configuration changes I make -- which means I have to re-map the controller with each restart of the emulator.
09-18-2020, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2020 04:13 PM by AdamN.)
(09-18-2020 12:01 PM)Sablicious Wrote:  
(09-12-2020 08:05 PM)AdamN Wrote:  You need to use the latest dev build of PPSSPP from https://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

Thanks a million for this! After some fiddling, I got it working via the loop-back method:
Code:
Enable networking/WLAN (beta, may break games) --------------------------- [x]
Change MAC address  ------------------------------------------------------ ... (*different for each player)
WLAN Channel Auto -------------------------------------------------------- Auto
Sent Discord "Rich Presence" information --------------------------------- [ ]
---
{AdHoc Server}
Enable built-in PRO ad hoc server ---------------------------------------- [x]
Change proAdhocServer Address (localhost = multiple instance) ------------ 127.0.0.1
---
{UPnP (port-forwarding)}
Enable UPnP (need a few seconds to detect) ------------------------------- [ ]
[UPnP use original port (Enable = PSP compatibility) --------------------- [x]]
---
{Misc (default = compatibility)}
Port offset (0 = PSP compatibility) -------------------------------------- 0
Minimum Timeout (override low latency in ms) ----------------------------- 1
TCP No Delay (faster TCP) ------------------------------------------------ [ ]

I haven't tried actual LAN yet -- I'll report back my results after I do. Irrespective, it's such a pleasure not having to use the temperamental, unreliable JPCSP... Which was such a pain in a butt.

Quote:Btw, are you using Windows or Android?

I've been using Windows 10.

BTW, I've noticed a bug of sorts, whereby the configuration setting changes for the second instance of PPSSPP (player-2) do not save, and the controller changes do not save for either instance / player. How does one get the emulator to save settings changes, such as for network configs. and controller re-mapping? It's not a biggie, just seems odd that one cannot manually save the changes... And, yes -- I did make the folder/s "writable".

NB: As a kind of work-around, I copied the "ppsspp.ini" from one root director of where it did happen to save the network settings, to the other one; and the XB1 controller I use for first instance of that game, is already configured by default anyway. The second install, though, which I'm using either another XB1 or XB360 gamepad with, does not save the controller configuration changes I make -- which means I have to re-map the controller with each restart of the emulator.

Currently only the 1st instance of PPSSPP will save the config/settings, it was made that way for now to prevent settings corruption when multiple PPSSPP trying to save on the same INI file at the same time, may be in the future they can have a separate INI file.
You can submit a request issue to add this functionality at github if you want.

My Modified PPSSPP :
==============