Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dev Builds
05-25-2018, 02:38 PM
Dev Builds
I'm on 1.5.4 right now and I'm wondering if the probable bugs are worth updating to the latest dev build for or if I should just wait till 1.6 officially releases
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2018, 02:59 PM
RE: Dev Builds
Is 1.5.4 crashing for you/not working?

If not, then there is not much point in using latest builds, because there are no MEGA HUGE changes.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
05-25-2018, 04:17 PM
Well, the new opengl threading code makes it kinda worthwhile. Especially, if one has a multi-core budget to mid-range non-vulkan device. I've been using the dev build 1.5.4-882 and I haven't had any issue with games crashing.
05-26-2018, 05:30 AM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2018 05:52 AM by Saintbepis.)
There hasn't really been any issues with 1.5.4 for me. The new opengl threading is the main reason I want to try a Dev build since I have a galaxy S5 and alot of the times games don't run at nearly full speed without a bunch of tweaking to the settings, it peaked my interest ever since I saw the announcement that the threading was almost vulkan speeds.

Just tried the latest build and it's godly with the new opengl threading code
05-26-2018, 11:05 AM
Then, yes, you can try it. AFAIK there are no major bugs, but just in case backup your saves and such.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
05-26-2018, 11:22 AM
I see no reason to don't use the dev builds. I've been always using latest dev build for years.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
05-26-2018, 12:44 PM
(05-26-2018 11:22 AM)GuilhermeGS2 Wrote:  I see no reason to don't use the dev builds. I've been always using latest dev build for years.

There have been cases where dev builds are outright broken...
So it is best to be careful.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
05-27-2018, 09:38 AM
(05-26-2018 12:44 PM)Asferot Wrote:  
(05-26-2018 11:22 AM)GuilhermeGS2 Wrote:  I see no reason to don't use the dev builds. I've been always using latest dev build for years.

There have been cases where dev builds are outright broken...
So it is best to be careful.

As long as the specific user knows how to back things up, there is no problem with testing new builds.

Chill and Go with the flow ~d[o_o]b~

@YT - youtube.com/user/SuperHack333/videos

Specs:
MDL: Dell G7 15 7590 (Laptop)
OPS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750h @ 2.60 Ghz ~ 4.50 Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 @ 1455 Mhz ~ 1590 Mhz
RAM: Micron Tech. 8GB DDR4 @ 2666 Mhz (4x2)
05-27-2018, 08:00 PM
I know the ropes thanks guys :>
05-27-2018, 11:41 PM
The funny thing is, most release versions are bugged as well, sometimes more. Also panicking about bugs in emulator as it was something that blow your cpu or steal your credit card details is just stupid, most bugs you will see is some artifacts in rare game that nobody owns caused by optimizations to popular games that everyone has.

Always use latest version if you want latest stuff as simple as that. Release versions are nothing special and they are also part of the developement, important part - as they collect most serious bugs on various devices that nobody has, they aren't better in any way, but usually good enough if you don't have problems or need for new features, for example current 1.6 aka "latest dev version" when this thread was discussed had at least a few minor features that most people will never care about like supersampling flag for shaders(which due to lack of limits also allow crazy high rendering resolutions way above x10). Those people that do care about such features could already happily use them without having to ask bored community for an entitled and subjective opinion and wait for an answer long enough to get another release in the meantime.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
05-28-2018, 02:50 AM
(05-27-2018 11:41 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  The funny thing is, most release versions are bugged as well, sometimes more. Also panicking about bugs in emulator as it was something that blow your cpu or steal your credit card details is just stupid, most bugs you will see is some artifacts in rare game that nobody owns caused by optimizations to popular games that everyone has.

Always use latest version if you want latest stuff as simple as that. Release versions are nothing special and they are also part of the developement, important part - as they collect most serious bugs on various devices that nobody has, they aren't better in any way, but usually good enough if you don't have problems or need for new features, for example current 1.6 aka "latest dev version" when this thread was discussed had at least a few minor features that most people will never care about like supersampling flag for shaders(which due to lack of limits also allow crazy high rendering resolutions way above x10). Those people that do care about such features could already happily use them without having to ask bored community for an entitled and subjective opinion and wait for an answer long enough to get another release in the meantime.

Sure, but when emulator screws up your savegames, NOT savestates, it kinda sucks.
I don't know if PPSSPP ever had something like that, but I have had my share of "use the latest devbuild XD" fun...

Everything is Hitsuzen!
05-29-2018, 02:43 PM
(05-28-2018 02:50 AM)Asferot Wrote:  Sure, but when emulator screws up your savegames, NOT savestates, it kinda sucks.
I don't know if PPSSPP ever had something like that, but I have had my share of "use the latest devbuild XD" fun...

That's why you back certain things up before testing the newly updated one to make sure you're not screwed.

Chill and Go with the flow ~d[o_o]b~

@YT - youtube.com/user/SuperHack333/videos

Specs:
MDL: Dell G7 15 7590 (Laptop)
OPS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750h @ 2.60 Ghz ~ 4.50 Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 @ 1455 Mhz ~ 1590 Mhz
RAM: Micron Tech. 8GB DDR4 @ 2666 Mhz (4x2)