Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PPSSPP Jeanne D'Arc runs slow/stutters
11-05-2017, 12:45 AM
PPSSPP Jeanne D'Arc runs slow/stutters
Hello everyone,

First off, I would like to say that this emulator is simply amazing. Thanks so much to the developers who did an exceptional job with this.

I'm not sure if my query is being posted in the right section, so please excuse me if it's not.

I am running the PPSSPP emulator (newest version) on my Samsung Galaxy note 4. I have played Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days with no problem, the game runs super smooth 98% of the time and the emulation is excellent. I have also tried running Final Fantasy Type 0 very briefly and it seems to be running well so far, with only slight slow downs thus far at the end of a battle when the mention "end of battle" appears on screen. Not sure why this is the case...

My question is as follows. I'm currently playing Jeanne D'Arc and have been reading posts all over the Web trying to figure out if it's possible for me to get the game to stop slowing down and stuttering (game play and music slowdown and stuttering/choppy). Sometimes the game will run super smooth, but most of the time it suffers from slow downs (gameplay/music).

I'm no expert, but I have tried adjusting the frameskipping to pretty much every value, and without the frameskipping ON, the game would be unplayable. I have the OpenGL, buffered rendering and simulate block transfer effects ON. As for the frameskipping and auto frame skip options, I have managed to make the game playable using the frameskipping and setting a value such as 3 or 4 (with auto frame skip OFF). I have also put the rendering and display resolutions both to 4x PSP (not sure if this does anything...). Honestly, the only thing that I know of that seems to help is adjusting the frame skipping. Am I missing something?

How can I fix this issue? There are so many options that can be changed in the emulator that I'm not sure what to do and which ones, if any will be useful to correct the issue.

Can this problem be completely fixed by changing the settings? Or is this an unfixable issue at the moment? Or maybe it's my phone that's not up to spec/since it's being run on Android?

Anyone with knowledge about the emulator and experience with the setting, if you could help me out it would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much and all the best!

Theo
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2017, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 07:36 PM by LG Fanatic.)
RE: PPSSPP Jeanne D'Arc runs slow/stutters
It works pretty well on my device(Moto E4, Snapdragon 425). The settings are default with auto frameskipping enabled at 2. The game runs smooth with a few hiccups when during busy in-game cutscenes. I suspect the issue is the rendering resolution being set high on your Note 4. Try setting it to 2 or 1x instead. The game will may not look as nice but it should run smoother.
11-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Thanks so much for your reply, it's much appreciated. I will try that and see how it runs (decrease rendering resolution). Although I thought that when you set a frame skipping value manually such as 2, you have to turn auto frame skipping OFF, but then again I'm not that familiar with the emulator...So I guess you can have auto frame skipping ON and set a frame slipping value as well? What is auto frame skipping exactly?

Thanks and all the best.
11-05-2017, 10:11 PM
Yep. That's exactly right. I usually find that having both autoframeskip and frameskipping on give the best results in many games. Though, there are some games where the frame skip doesn't help and one needs a more powerful device. Tongue
11-06-2017, 02:39 AM
Auto frame skip with a frameskip value will adjust the frame skipping up to that value as needed if you just use auto I believe it will frameskip higher and higher as needed.

Also keep in mind some games work better with even frame skipping numbers 2,4,6,ect and some odd 1,3,5,ect. It is a weird quirk.
11-06-2017, 02:49 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2017 02:50 AM by Chemenger4000.)
Thanks so much for the info. I used the EXACT settings that you mentioned above and the game now runs MUCH smoother with less slowdown and stuttering on my Note 4. I can't believe how much better it is. There is still the odd slow down every now and then, when things get really busy on screen, but overall much better. This is a great game, so I'm glad that I can enjoy it to its fullest now. Thanks so much for your help. You're awesome Wink I guess you really have to play around with the emulator settings a bit in order to get the best results. It's suprising that these PSP games run so well on our cell phones. lol

Great, thanks to both of you for that helpful information Smile I'm sure it'll be of use to me.