Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Audio crackle issues
09-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Audio crackle issues
I tried posting this elsewhere but it does not look like it works, so I apologize if this ends up a double post.

I'm having a seemingly unique problem with audio crackle. I had done some searching and found similar issues but nothing as consistent as mine so I'm at a loss and was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.

I had used ppsspp on my previous PC without any issues (aside from the jeanne d'arc text being wonky but thats the games fault) but now on my new PC I am getting constant audio crackle once the emulator is running, I have tried on multiple games to text if they were bad rips/patches but so far seems to be anything. The audio will still continue to output a popping noise even with the emulation paused but the emulator still running, I have to stop all emulation completely and go back to the main menu to get it to stop. I am also experiencing this on the default settings as well as trying to adjust settings lower.

I have recorded the type of audio crackle I have been encountering in case it might provide some information on whats wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N6GNLPJWSM

Also my system specs are:
Intel Core I7 7700k 4.20 GHz
16gb ddr4 ram
windows 10 64bit
asus geforce gtx 960 strix
gigabyte z270x ultra gaming motherboard
asus xonar dgx soundcard

I am currently using the most recent build of PPSSPP (1.4.2 via installer) but have also tried on the previous versions of PPSSPP available for download on the official site. If there is any more information I can provide to help find a solution please let me know as I really want to get this emulator working again on this new hardware
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2017, 05:00 PM
RE: Audio crackle issues
If there are sound artifacts happening outside of the game it's pretty clear it's your audio driver issue and backend change should help, so go to sound settings and switch audio backend from Wasapi(or auto) to Dsound which is much more compatible and hopefully fixes your problem.:] You could also try finding different(not necessarily latest;p) drivers for your sound card if you really care for WASAPI ~ which does reduce latency for sound, but most people would not notice much difference anyway.

For Jeanne D'Arc font problem, if you have a working PSP, copy your flash0/font folder from it to your pc and use it for PPSSPP(in latest versions you would find that inside PPSSPP/assets/flash0 folder), some games doesn't come with fonts and use system ones, unfortunately Sony's fonts are copyrighted and can't be shared/included with ppsspp, the free font we are using is unfortunately pretty awful in some games, there are plans to improve it from like forever and it might take another forever for anything to improve with it since everyone who can just uses original psp font;p.

As for many threads people open about "sound issue" only in-game especially on android or laptops, those most of the time aren't really sound issues at all, the problem is when you're emulating a game, you don't exactly have much control over what's being shown on the screen or what sound is going of the speakers, it's the game job to do that and if you can't run the game at 100% speed, emulator doesn't have anything to play, hence the sound will pause/break etc.. There was a plan to implement sound stretching and make it sound retarded instead of disappearing completely based on Citra emulator, but if I recall the branch with it turned out to be very unstable and still wasn't merged.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
09-04-2017, 06:10 PM
I have tried uninstalling, and reinstalling several audio drivers with no success. As well as trying the various audio back end options with each set of drivers.
The best combination I have been able to obtain causes a reduce in the audio crackle, its still there but less noticeable, but however I get other audio distortions as seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOa9kcOqmUo

It just seems like this new PC is unable to get ppsspp working as functionally as my previous PC which is disappointing. As the crackle only happened with ppsspp while having a game loaded, even while paused, the crackle would only go away once exiting to the main menu, but no other audio issues seemed to pop up so I dont know what to do at this point.

The jeanne d'arc issue i had was last year and was able to fix it the way you had suggested, but up until now it was the only issue I had ran into trying to use this emulator
09-04-2017, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2017 06:54 PM by LunaMoo.)
In that case, if you didn't tried yet, maybe try changing latency to high? You could also change audio sync(resampling) to whatever is the opposite you're using as this option while made to help with small ocassional frame drops, could possibly create some tiny distortions on it's own.

Other than that there's not much else you can do, but open a new issue on ppsspp issue tracker ~ here.

Actually there's one more thing I recalled before posting, we have another option visible only on android made for bluetooth headsets that increases buffer size, it could be that you have a dedicated sound card ~ which is extremely rare nowadays ~ doing some weird stuff to improve sound quality and not handling PPSSPP settings well since emulator tries hard to reduce latency:].
If you have it running, close PPSSPP, find PPSSPP.ini(by default it should be in memstick\PSP\SYSTEM, but memstick location can differ per system, ie be in "my documents" if default folder has no write priviledges, you can even change it in system settings), edit that file, for example with notepad, find [Audio] and under it "ExtraAudioBuffering = False", change it to or just copy paste if it doesn't exist at all yet "ExtraAudioBuffering = True" and save your changes. If that does help, we might just enable to option everywhere instead of limiting it to android.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
09-05-2017, 02:21 PM
No, no luck. I tried various combinations of latency and sync. I also trist the extra audio buffering to no effect.

I will submit to the issue tracker this odd case.

I've also been looking into seeing of my onboard sound can only be used for ppsspp and have everything else routing through the sound card to see if that fixes it, as you said having a dedicated sound card is pretty rare these days so maybe trying to bypass it for the emulator might help
09-07-2017, 01:10 PM
I've also spent a considerable amount of time trying to fix this on various hardware setups.

Though if you are still trying to fix it without playing the rest of the game I can confirm that the only time I seem to get audio issues is in the first battle, any time it rains and when setting up for battle (there was also an issue with the grass whistle scene where ovelia sound didn't come through at all)

other than that the audio is fine.

You may want to try and older version of the emulator since I didn't get the crackle back then but I do now. Though I had far more general audio problems before this version (strange weapon sounds etc).