Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Nvidia Shield and video recording!
02-25-2017, 08:38 AM
Nvidia Shield and video recording!
Hey there.

First of all, great work with the emulator! I like it very much.

I started playing D&D Tactics and have had some issues. Basically, the Shield tablet is quite powerful. I've been able to play the emulator upscaled to 1080p in Console Mode and even can record at 1080p30 with Nvidia Share!

The thing is, I get slight issues occasionally. A bit of audio crackle here and there. So I am really wondering if there are any interesting settings in the .INI file I can tweak to possibly getting a tad bit more speed? For most maps it's high FPS and fine but a few maps make the game occasionally dip below 100% speed.

Any ideas? It's very close to working really well (although music doesn't play during the world map for some reason.) I am not exaggerating when I say I have tweaked it a LOT to try and fix this. So I'm hoping there is some odd setting in the .ini or something that would help. Thanks!

- Flu
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2017, 04:16 AM
RE: Nvidia Shield and video recording!
(02-25-2017 08:38 AM)fluent Wrote:  Hey there.

First of all, great work with the emulator! I like it very much.

I started playing D&D Tactics and have had some issues. Basically, the Shield tablet is quite powerful. I've been able to play the emulator upscaled to 1080p in Console Mode and even can record at 1080p30 with Nvidia Share!

The thing is, I get slight issues occasionally. A bit of audio crackle here and there. So I am really wondering if there are any interesting settings in the .INI file I can tweak to possibly getting a tad bit more speed? For most maps it's high FPS and fine but a few maps make the game occasionally dip below 100% speed.

Any ideas? It's very close to working really well (although music doesn't play during the world map for some reason.) I am not exaggerating when I say I have tweaked it a LOT to try and fix this. So I'm hoping there is some odd setting in the .ini or something that would help. Thanks!

- Flu

Hey there! A bit more info since I'm at my PC and not a tablet. Tongue

The emulator runs very well, even at 5x resolution upscale and many bells and whistles. I never get much of a speed drop in the games I've played. It's when I introduce the video recording that it causes slight slowdown. I had to scale back some graphical options and for the most part it runs 100% speed and a fine FPS @4x resolution, etc.. But on the Tol-Dornor outside map, there is a bit of slowdown that causes the choppy audio at times.

This has happened in other spots and I ended up tweaking settings to get rid of it. It all seemed good for awhile, until I got to this map. Note - I've been recording many episodes of playing the game so far for a YouTube "Let's Play", and some episodes I have trouble while others I have seemed to fix it and it runs very well. So, it seemed fine until getting to this map. Speed drops to 90-95% at times and causes the choppy audio.

Have tweaked every setting I could think of and it doesn't make much difference. The Nvidia recording program records @ 1080p30, 12k bitrate or so. Although I also tried 720p30 2k bitrate and it made no notable difference with the emulator. I've even tried turning off App Optimization, maxing out the performance and so on. Again, the games run great without recording activated, and I realize that recording software, especially @1080p and a decent bitrate will slow things down a bit. The thing is, it was working well for a good while before this map, so I'm not sure what's up.

Any ideas? I'd love to share the word of what I'm doing and would love if I could squeeze this out. Tongue I'm sure there's some sort of weird setting in the .ini file that can squeeze a bit more performance out of it while recording?

Take care, and thanks in advance!

- Flu
02-26-2017, 04:36 AM
Did something else change? Did you install some other software that could be hugging resources in the background? Also. Viruses for Android is a thing.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
02-26-2017, 08:07 AM
(02-26-2017 04:36 AM)Asferot Wrote:  Did something else change? Did you install some other software that could be hugging resources in the background? Also. Viruses for Android is a thing.

Hey! Thanks for showing a sign of life in my thread! Big Grin Appreciate it.

Well, according to my tablet, I have around 800mb of RAM memory free for both Nvidia Share + PPSSPP to use. When I turn them on, I believe that number goes down to 400mb (don't quote me, I'd have to check for sure.) I also turn off wi-fi when recording and I keep the tablet in Do Not Disturb mode, which stops notifications.

However, I will have to look into background processes. Hmm. Any tips on where to start there? Is there an actually decent app out there that can manage this sort of thing? I honestly don't think the tablet is running *too* many background services, because it's usually rather snappy and fast, but perhaps there is some weird thing going on somewhere.

Played again tonight and it was alright, but a few of the spell effects hit my FPS pretty good. Usually when I turn on Auto Framskipping (set to 1) I get an undesirable effect to my overall FPS. Whereas the game will run 45-60 FPS at all times on Non-buffered, When buffered with Frameskip set to 1 it will go down to 22-25 at times and generally run more sluggishly. I would keep it Non-buffered at all times, but then I get the occasional dip to 93-95% speed when a lot is going on, thus the crackly audio annoyances. Smile

I will double check the background processes stuff. Any other ideas for a little bit of extra performance in the .ini file? I see a lot of various options there but am not really sure what is worth tweaking.

Thanks again!