Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Is it possible to port ps2 emulator to idevices and android????
03-23-2013, 12:02 PM
RE: Is it possible to port ps2 emulator to idevices and android????
(03-23-2013 08:52 AM)Dwightyone Wrote:  
(03-23-2013 01:38 AM)ppssppikachu Wrote:  
(03-22-2013 09:11 PM)Dwightyone Wrote:  Even if it is, I can't really see the point when it comes to mobile devices such as the iphone. The majority of games are massive in size compared to the much smaller files of the N64 (absolutely tiny), the PSX and even the PSP. The first God of War on the PS3 comes in at a whopping 4GB. I'm not even sure that PS2 gaming on a mobile is a great fit anyway.

If people want to play slow games (let's say Silent Hill 2) then that''d be okay, but I'd imagine people want a PS2 emulator to play all the faster fighting, FPS and action adventure titles.
These sort of games tend to demand more hand to eye co-ordination. How on earth are people goiing to be able to control such fast moving games, with their more intricate detailed enviroments, their far higher sprite count, when you have to emulate the full PS2 pad including four shoulder buttons and two analogue sticks whilst your fingers are all over the 4-5 inch screen blocking your view. It's like watching a movie on a watch: pointless.

For tablets and the likes of the up coming Project Shield and Ouya then it's great, but mobile phones... I don't know myself. From a practical viewpoint, unless you're going to play slow moving games with don't have much on screen action then I think PS2 emulation on a mobile phone screen is a console too far.

Maybe it's just me, I'm getting on a bit now. My hand to eye co-ordination, reflexes and responses aren't what they used to be. I find a game chess to be as fast as a COD game these days. Big Grin

for the control you use blutrol with ps3 or icontrolpad,as for the sprites,just lower the resolution.the game size ...thats another story.

I'm old school. For the record when I say sprites I mean the moving playable character/other characters/enemies/moving objects/anything that moves separately of the background. You can reduce the resolution but you can't change how many of them are on the screen.

We could use bluetooth controllers but like PS2 emulation itself I can't really see the point. For tablets okay but why use a bluetooth pad for a 4-5 inch screen. Aside from the eye squinting we'll be doing with our eyes trying to maneuver the playable character around a tiny screen with all the on screen action going on PS2 games offer, we'll also end up draining the battery empty within thirty minutes with PS2 emulation and a bluetooth pad connected at the same time. Okay, we could plug in the mobile power lead to play but that defeats the purpose. Taking into account the the screen size issue, if we end up needing a bluetooth gamepad and a plug in power point to play them as well, then maybe it would be better to just use a real PS2 console.

I own many rips of PSP games. The videos have been ripped out or reduced in quality and size by re-sampling, same with the audio. If the videos/audio etc.. is ripped out it just spoils the game for me. If the videos/audio in my games are re-sampled to a lower quality then I'd rather have that. As a general rule my PSP games are reduced in size by a quarter to a third by re-sampling the video/audio. You could do this with PS2 games and reduce them up to a third in size and then CSO them. Smile

for the screen size we use tv-out and google icontrolpad 2 to know what im taliking about.i understand the processing power part but you seem not to know much about mobile peripherals..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2013, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2013 12:53 PM by Dwightyone.)
(03-23-2013 12:00 PM)ppssppikachu Wrote:  
(03-23-2013 11:22 AM)Dwightyone Wrote:  You'll have to google it, I know how to to basic stuff like reduce/rip PSP files etc...there's hundreds of guides online for that, but when it came to the PMF and audio compression I used to have some friends who used to know their PSP stuff and would do that stuff for themselves and me. It's not as straightforward as ripping/re-linking files in PSP games in a couple of minutes.

I can't even remember which ones (the majority do) have the reduced video/audio quality, as my PSP games are all CSO and just called by their game name.

I haven't played my PSP games in a long time (sold PSP to buy Xperia Play) but after compression of the videos the end result was the videos/audio were nearly as good as the originals (you may not even notice the difference) but with a smalller game size. Like I said, I can't remember which ones are which, but I'll give game examples of what's on my PC right now, they probably could be made even smaller with more re-linking and more ripping, but basically the game is still video/audio intact, everything works, and I'm happy with that.

Burnout = 175MB
Ridge Racer 2 = 206MB
F1 2006 = 306MB
Assassin's Creed Bloodlines = 206MB
Ace Combat X Skies of Deception = 307MB
Medal of Honor Heroes 2 = 377MB
Socom 3 Fireteam Bravo = 463MB
Jak & Dexter The Lost Frontier = 484MB
Resistance Retribution = 522MB
Tomb Raider Anniversary = 1.00GB
Dante's Inferno = 964MB
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker = 1.30GB
The Warriors = 1.19GB
Final Fantasy Crisis Core = 792MB
Silent Hill Shattered Memories = 747MB (I think this is normal video CSO)
Fifa 2012 = 740MB
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops = 842MB
Fight Night Round 3 = 162MB
Need For Speed Most Wanted = 125MB
Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow = 650MB
Call of Duty Road to Victory = 140MB
Obscure the Aftermath = 579MB
TOCA 3 = 699MB
Silent Hill Origins - 510MB
GTA China Town Wars = 528MB
GTA Liberty Stories = 450MB (But FPS drops alot, uncompress to 1.16GB)
Splinter Cell Essentials = 1.20GB (Can't remember, maybe normal video)
Virtua Tennis World Tour = 370MB (Can't remember, maybe norm video)
Shadow of Destiny = 650MB

Maybe other people have made much smaller again.

My best ever one is a PS1 PSP eboot of Tekken 3 which comes in at 59MB.

my soul calibur is 360mb in cso,you just have to download a iso to cso converter

(03-23-2013 09:25 AM)Vincentmrl Wrote:  
(03-23-2013 08:52 AM)Dwightyone Wrote:  I own many rips of PSP games. The videos have been ripped out or reduced in quality and size by re-sampling, same with the audio. If the videos/audio etc.. is ripped out it just spoils the game for me. If the videos/audio in my games are re-sampled to a lower quality then I'd rather have that. As a general rule my PSP games are reduced in size by a quarter to a third by re-sampling the video/audio. You could do this with PS2 games and reduce them up to a third in size and then CSO them. Smile

Could you please make a guide about this? It would help us android phone owners with low memory available

GOOGLE iso to cso converter.

I know that Big Grin

All my games are CSO, the point I'm trying to make is this. Let's say we both have Metal Gear Soild Peace Walker. If you just compress an untouched PSP ISO of this game into a CSO, my same version of that game will be even smaller because mine has lower bitrate PMF videos/audios. The game looks and sounds 90% the same but I save many many many MB, sometimes a few hundred MB. If you have the same game as me in my list measure your CSO compared to mine. The game must have all the videos/audios in place and fully work. And if you have smaller, I want to come to your house and see it with my own eyes. Big Grin

(03-23-2013 12:02 PM)ppssppikachu Wrote:  
(03-22-2013 09:11 PM)Dwightyone Wrote:  Even if it is, I can't really see the point when it comes to mobile devices such as the iphone. The majority of games are massive in size compared to the much smaller files of the N64 (absolutely tiny), the PSX and even the PSP. The first God of War on the PS3 comes in at a whopping 4GB. I'm not even sure that PS2 gaming on a mobile is a great fit anyway.

If people want to play slow games (let's say Silent Hill 2) then that''d be okay, but I'd imagine people want a PS2 emulator to play all the faster fighting, FPS and action adventure titles.
These sort of games tend to demand more hand to eye co-ordination. How on earth are people goiing to be able to control such fast moving games, with their more intricate detailed enviroments, their far higher sprite count, when you have to emulate the full PS2 pad including four shoulder buttons and two analogue sticks whilst your fingers are all over the 4-5 inch screen blocking your view. It's like watching a movie on a watch: pointless.

For tablets and the likes of the up coming Project Shield and Ouya then it's great, but mobile phones... I don't know myself. From a practical viewpoint, unless you're going to play slow moving games with don't have much on screen action then I think PS2 emulation on a mobile phone screen is a console too far.

Maybe it's just me, I'm getting on a bit now. My hand to eye co-ordination, reflexes and responses aren't what they used to be. I find a game chess to be as fast as a COD game these days. Big Grin

for the control you use blutrol with ps3 or icontrolpad,as for the sprites,just lower the resolution.the game size ...thats another story.

I'm old school. For the record when I say sprites I mean the moving playable character/other characters/enemies/moving objects/anything that moves separately of the background. You can reduce the resolution but you can't change how many of them are on the screen.

We could use bluetooth controllers but like PS2 emulation itself I can't really see the point. For tablets okay but why use a bluetooth pad for a 4-5 inch screen. Aside from the eye squinting we'll be doing with our eyes trying to maneuver the playable character around a tiny screen with all the on screen action going on PS2 games offer, we'll also end up draining the battery empty within thirty minutes with PS2 emulation and a bluetooth pad connected at the same time. Okay, we could plug in the mobile power lead to play but that defeats the purpose. Taking into account the the screen size issue, if we end up needing a bluetooth gamepad and a plug in power point to play them as well, then maybe it would be better to just use a real PS2 console.

for the screen size we use tv-out and google icontrolpad 2 to know what im taliking about.i understand the processing power part but you seem not to know much about mobile peripherals..

You'd still need a cable to connect to the TV, and in your case a pad to bluetooth connect to your phone ( I assume it's a phone), and a plug point for power, what else is there to need to know with regards to mobile peripherals?

Aside from the PS2 OS, it seems you want to emulate the hardware setup of a PS2 ie: a TV, gamepad, powerpoint, cables, and the mobile phone as the PS2 itself. That's okay, maybe for me it would be better buying a PS2 until the Ouya 2 etc... comes out with more processing power etc... and hardware designed more for console style gaming.

You mentioned you understand the processing power part. I'm just saying that if you want to go to those lengths to want to play PS2 games on this generation of mobile devices that may struggle with processing power anyway, then why not just buy a PS2. Maybe it's just me. Big Grin Smile
03-23-2013, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2013 01:00 PM by ppssppikachu.)
(03-23-2013 12:12 PM)Dwightyone Wrote:  
(03-23-2013 11:22 AM)Dwightyone Wrote:  You'll have to google it, I know how to to basic stuff like reduce/rip PSP files etc...there's hundreds of guides online for that, but when it came to the PMF and audio compression I used to have some friends who used to know their PSP stuff and would do that stuff for themselves and me. It's not as straightforward as ripping/re-linking files in PSP games in a couple of minutes.

I can't even remember which ones (the majority do) have the reduced video/audio quality, as my PSP games are all CSO and just called by their game name.

I haven't played my PSP games in a long time (sold PSP to buy Xperia Play) but after compression of the videos the end result was the videos/audio were nearly as good as the originals (you may not even notice the difference) but with a smalller game size. Like I said, I can't remember which ones are which, but I'll give game examples of what's on my PC right now, they probably could be made even smaller with more re-linking and more ripping, but basically the game is still video/audio intact, everything works, and I'm happy with that.

Burnout = 175MB
Ridge Racer 2 = 206MB
F1 2006 = 306MB
Dante's Inferno = 964MB
The Warriors = 1.19GB
Fifa 2012 = 740MB
TOCA 3 = 699MB

my soul calibur is 360mb in cso,you just have to download a iso to cso converter

(03-23-2013 08:52 AM)Dwightyone Wrote:  I own many rips of PSP games. The videos have been ripped out or reduced in quality and size by re-sampling, same with the audio. If the videos/audio etc.. is ripped out it just spoils the game for me. If the videos/audio in my games are re-sampled to a lower quality then I'd rather have that. As a general rule my PSP games are reduced in size by a quarter to a third by re-sampling the video/audio. You could do this with PS2 games and reduce them up to a third in size and then CSO them. Smile

Could you please make a guide about this? It would help us android phone owners with low memory available

I know that Big Grin

All my games are CSO, the point I'm trying to make is this. Let's say we both have Metal Gear Soild Peace Walker. If you just compress an untouched PSP ISO of this game into a CSO, my same version of that game will be even smaller because mine has lower bitrate PMF videos/audios. The game looks and sounds 90% the same but I save many many many MB, sometimes a few hundred MB. If you have the same game as me in my list measure your CSO compared to mine. The game must have all the videos/audios in place and fully work. And if you have smaller, I want to come to your house and see it with my own eyes. Big Grin

You'd still need a cable to connect to the TV, and in your case a pad to bluetooth connect to your phone ( I assume it's a phone), and a plug point for power, what else is there to need to know with regards to mobile peripherals?

Aside from the PS2 OS, it seems you want to emulate the hardware setup of a PS2 ie: a TV, gamepad, powerpoint, cables, and the mobile phone as the PS2 itself. That's okay, maybe for me it would be better buying a PS2 until the Ouya 2 etc... comes out with more processing power etc... and hardware designed more for console style gaming.

You mentioned you understand the processing power part. I'm just saying that if you want to go to those lengths to want to play PS2 games on this generation of mobile devices that may struggle with processing power anyway, then why not just buy a PS2. Maybe it's just me. Big Grin Smile

its way more portable and who uses wires for tv-out.i know i dont...airplay,reflector app etc.and personally i run ps2 emu on my pc outputted in 1080p on my fullhd 52 inch tv,thats not a problem.This thread talks about posibility from the technical standpoint.

(03-23-2013 12:59 PM)ppssppikachu Wrote:  
(03-23-2013 12:12 PM)Dwightyone Wrote:  

Burnout = 175MB
Ridge Racer 2 = 206MB
F1 2006 = 306MB
Dante's Inferno = 964MB
The Warriors = 1.19GB
Fifa 2012 = 740MB
TOCA 3 = 699MB

I know that Big Grin

(03-23-2013 01:38 AM)ppssppikachu Wrote:  for the control you use blutrol with ps3 or icontrolpad,as for the sprites,just lower the resolution.the game size ...thats another story.

its way more portable and who uses wires for tv-out.i know i dont...airplay,reflector app etc.and personally i run ps2 emu on my pc outputted in 1080p on my fullhd 52 inch tv,thats not a problem.This thread talks about posibility from the technical standpoint.

Dont worry ,i can compress to any filesize you get unless you use voodoo /witchcraftTongue
03-23-2013, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2013 01:32 PM by Dwightyone.)
I have to admit I don't know much about TV out on mobile phones. I've always assumed that most phones that do it have a dedicated TV out port, or a USB to TV USB connection of somesorts, or some sort of adaptor to run movies or play games from a mobile phone. Maybe I'm wrong. Sad

And by the way, like you suggested, running a PC PS2 emulator to a TV is not the same as running a PS2 emulator from a mobile phone, it's not even the same subject, Android PS2 emulation is the subject, and I was on topic and you have gone off, so I'm not having the blame for going off topic, you are! Tongue Big Grin
12-25-2013, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 12-25-2013 06:11 PM by Presstabstart.)
Technically, it's possible to run _some_ games, but you'll get a very low framerate with the current emulation methods; you'd be able to run games on an iPad Mini or above, yet 512MB is the absolute minimum specified in terms of RAM and you'll have to wait a while before you get a playable framerate. This is assuming that a 32/64-bit ARM <- PS2 architecture 'translator' of some sort magically appeared and gives the same performance as the standard 'translator'. If you wanted to turn your iPad/iPhone 5 into an abomination, a group of people could probably spend 2 years (well, more like 20) ripping the Emotion Engine CPU out of the PS2 and use it for emulation then documenting the discombobulating steps of how to do it. You'd still have to deal with the graphics, though.
08-22-2014, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2014 01:57 PM by klepp0906.)
Are you really asking if ps2 emulation is possible on a forum for a psp emulator that plays perfectly even on last gen devices? Really?

In case it's still sailing high - let me be clear. It's possible. It's been. The emulator is even there for the taking. Just need someone with the know how and motivation to do it.

What a great day that would be.

Might I suggest a kickstarter oh lurking uber dev? If you build it, we will come.

Explain how you would get a "low" framerate on anything newer than a 4S anyhow? You do realize a psp is essentially the same system ya? Which Atleast on my phone is emulate'able to perfection not only at native frame rate but with double the resolution, anti aliasing, and upscaled textures (and more). Yea id say most games would be very very playable, id venture to say all ESPECIALLY with the phones about to hit the market.

This could be solved of course and will be at some point. If you are a betting man, Id strongly suggest you putting your money on the current/pro side of the arguement though.

Thinking for yourself is always superior to hopping on a bandwagon of course.

Good to see quote works. >.<
08-27-2014, 10:06 AM
59mb tekken eboot? How Smile mine is 400mb+
09-19-2014, 05:06 AM
I don't know whether PS2 games are possible on an android device cause i dod not try before. I only know that PS1 emulator games can be emulated. My jxd s7800b is an android handheld and PS1 games run well on it.

My favorite thing is playing emulator games(GB games) on my jxd s7800b. Are you keen on retro games?
09-19-2014, 09:17 AM
PS2 emulation definitely is possible man , but will take at least 5 years more to have mobile phones enough strong to emulate PS2 properly because android emulation is a lot slower than windows and mobile processors are not really that capable.
I am sure thats why they are not making any PS2 emulator yet , but wait , it certainly will happen soon Smile

The Signature!
09-22-2014, 01:24 AM
I just figure out that so far there is no phones or android device can emulate PS2 games. Maybe we'll just need to wait.

My favorite thing is playing emulator games(GB games) on my jxd s7800b. Are you keen on retro games?
09-22-2014, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 01:36 PM by fivefeet8.)
(03-23-2013 01:30 PM)Dwightyone Wrote:  I have to admit I don't know much about TV out on mobile phones. I've always assumed that most phones that do it have a dedicated TV out port, or a USB to TV USB connection of somesorts, or some sort of adaptor to run movies or play games from a mobile phone. Maybe I'm wrong. Sad

TV Out wouldn't do any favors for PS2 emulation on Mobile devices much. Most Android devices with TV out uses MHL2.0(current spec) which requires a USB to HDMI MHL2.0 adapter. But this has issues of it's own. It drains power from the device fast, performance is severly lacking with anything 3d, and only mirror mode is supported. I've tried it with my Note3 before with watching movies, it's fine, but try playing any Android native games like Dead Trigger 2, and it's struggles to keep playable framerates on a 1080p TV. Now on a 720p TV, it runs a bit better, but not always. The only device that I've seen with proper TV out is the Shield Tablet with it's console mode. And it has the performance to handle it.

PS2 emulation on mobile still has a long way to go for both hardware and software. PCSX2 in it's current form is not a viable emulator for porting to Mobile. There are tons of hacks to get things to run decent on Desktop systems. Someone would need to rewrite much of it or write a whole new emulator. Both of which will take many years to do by a dedicated team.
10-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Since quotes don't seem to be working

"No phone is powerful enough for PS2, sorry."

Wrooooong
10-27-2014, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2014 06:48 PM by GuilhermeGS2.)
Hey guys, take a look at this new PS2 emulator: http://purei.org/
It's for Windows, the the dev who is developing said that will begin to do some test on his Tegra K1 device (he said it some months ago, maybe already tested):
Quote:Yeah, it looks quite promising. I ordered a Tegra K1 device last week-end to do some tests. I'm probably going to start adding support for FPU and SIMD primitives on ARM in the JIT compiler while I wait for the device to arrive.
Maybe soon we'll have a PS2 emulator on Android. Smile
Look here: https://github.com/jpd002/Play-/issues/7

EDIT: Of course this emulator will take a lot of months to get working on android if him really start working on the port.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
10-28-2014, 08:51 AM
Thank you so much @Guilherme for info Smile I was just looking for that thing!

The Signature!
10-28-2014, 11:51 AM
(10-27-2014 06:44 PM)GuilhermeGS2 Wrote:  Hey guys, take a look at this new PS2 emulator: http://purei.org/
It's for Windows, the the dev who is developing said that will begin to do some test on his Tegra K1 device (he said it some months ago, maybe already tested):
Quote:Yeah, it looks quite promising. I ordered a Tegra K1 device last week-end to do some tests. I'm probably going to start adding support for FPU and SIMD primitives on ARM in the JIT compiler while I wait for the device to arrive.
Maybe soon we'll have a PS2 emulator on Android. Smile
Look here: https://github.com/jpd002/Play-/issues/7

EDIT: Of course this emulator will take a lot of months to get working on android if him really start working on the port.

It’s a nice new! But I think he needs more manpower to work on it, otherwise, this emulator would be working properly in 2024!! Until there it’s possible that pcsx2 would be running on mobile devices. Who knows!?

I was an Xperia Play gamer until my dog ate my beloved phone!

Now I’m an Xperia ZL/ZQ gamer!
Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM

It works better, but i miss the gamepad!! T_T'