Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lower audio latency with WASAPI
01-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Lower audio latency with WASAPI
I recently added support for WASAPI, the "new" Audio API that was introduced with Windows Vista. I get much better latency (shorter delay) than under DirectSound, so I have changed PPSSPP to use it always on Vista+.

It makes rhythm games like Patapon more enjoyable, although not 100% perfect.

This support is available in the latest Windows builds, see http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/ , and if all goes well will be in 1.0.

Also, I have adjusted the Android app to be more likely to get the low latency fast path which is available on some devices, especially Nexus. Should have pretty much the same effect as the WASAPI change.

Can you guys test it on your machines and confirm that audio did not get crackly or worse in any way? Smile

Thanks!
Henrik
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2015, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 06:15 PM by XpanD.)
RE: Lower audio latency with WASAPI
I'm not sure if it's this specific change or another change in the builds since 1278, but my sound is now a lot better! I used to have pretty bad crackling issues across all games (see threadid 14133 for details/specs), but after having recently upgraded to build 1503 it's just about perfect 99% of the time, with only the occasional bit of noise.

Keep up the good work! So glad I can play (almost) all my old favorites on my PC now, without having to dig out the old PSP again after having been spoiled with a Vita. Heart

EDIT: I'm on Windows 8.1 x64, forgot to mention that in the other thread.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply