Thread Rating:
  • 13 Votes - 4.31 Average
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
04-14-2013, 08:11 AM
RE: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
how can't the developers fix this?
can't they just take a look at the jpcsp and see where they went wrong?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2013, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2013 09:32 AM by ssshadow.)
(04-14-2013 08:11 AM)vontman Wrote:  how can't the developers fix this?
can't they just take a look at the jpcsp and see where they went wrong?

No, if you look at the log file you don't get any particular error. So the bug is in an already implemented function. What is probably happening is that somewhere just a few lines of code do not function exactly like they should, and something returns some data that is slightly off. In the end, different games are going to react differently, some may not be affected at all, some will get very minor issues, and at other times, it will be completely broken because something else uses this data further and everything just goes very wrong in the end.

Fixing this bug is most likely like looking for a needle in a haystack since it could be anything anywhere that is just a little off in some way.

For instance, although I am no expert programmer by any stretch of the imagination, I recently made a text only dungeon crawler with some basic traps and enemies in about 1000 lines of code, and I probably spent more time fixing very rare, strange and random bugs than I spent writing the whole thing.

Of course, you don't know to happen if jpcsp at any point in time had the same bug, and at what revision it was fixed? Because that could potentially be useful.

EDIT: No, jpcsp has never had any completely missing 3D bugs with this game. It had other issues related to encryption and sound, but nothing graphics related.
04-14-2013, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2013 09:17 PM by vontman.)
I really respect the developer and their awesome work , but in my opinion most of the time they fix very unneeded stuff in so unneeded games,i feel like they are ignoring the big games like persona 3,kingdom hearts and mortal kombat ( had perfect graphics b4 at 0.6 and now works full speed with unplayable graphics), and if u take a look at the compatibility list on the website, it has the worst games played on the ppsspp, how can't they put Bleach HTS 7, Fate Unlimited codes. Fate extra and etc...., i think if they want support , then they need to support the big games first, but after all that's my opinion , maybe they are working on the big games.
04-14-2013, 09:37 PM
(04-14-2013 09:16 PM)vontman Wrote:  I really respect the developer and their awesome work , but in my opinion most of the time they fix very unneeded stuff in so unneeded games,i feel like they are ignoring the big games like persona 3,kingdom hearts and mortal kombat ( had perfect graphics b4 at 0.6 and now works full speed with unplayable graphics), and if u take a look at the compatibility list on the website, it has the worst games played on the ppsspp, how can't they put Bleach HTS 7, Fate Unlimited codes. Fate extra and etc...., i think if they want support , then they need to support the big games first, but after all that's my opinion , maybe they are working on the big games.

Merely speculation, but the reason for this is probably that all the bad shovelware titles are swiftly programmed without ever using any of the more advanced features available on the PSP. Advanced games like Persona 3, Kingdom Hearts and such just look really good and the developers probably put down a lot of time optimizing and hacking to make use of all the power available on the console. So when emulating these the requirements are way higher, and a lot more things can go wrong.

For instance, Project Diva is a perfect game, but that game never uses any kind of dynamic lightning, real shadows, advanced shaders etc. Persona 3 on the other hand does, and so do a lot of other high profile games, also currently more or less broken in some way. Advanced stuff like that is simply harder to work with for ppsspp developers.
04-15-2013, 03:47 AM
Props to you for taking to him way better then I would have shadow.
04-15-2013, 05:24 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2013 05:27 AM by akirayjin.)
It's playable now in lastest version 0.7.5 both windows and android. only when fighting battle command only is visible.
04-15-2013, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2013 08:23 AM by Jegor-Jayden.)
I think it may be better to write on which device you are playing. And with device I mean your phone. e.g galaxy s3. Because for me it was working all the time on my galaxy s3.
And yeah the battle 3d background still doesn't display but it doesn't matter because the whole game is working better than other could.
Amazing what you guys have done. Thank you
04-15-2013, 10:16 AM
i just tried it on the last git, i noticed that the shadows in the battle appeared, which is quite amazing since that means there is progress, i will make a video as soon as i can.
04-15-2013, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2013 05:54 PM by ssshadow.)
I hate to be that guy, but there have been no improvements. (character) shadows were always there, the problem is that no textured surface/polygons are. Actually, the game has become slightly worse on android because the black non functioning intro video can't be skipped now it seems, so you are stuck waiting for the duration of it before the main menu appears...
04-15-2013, 06:09 PM
just disable buffered rendering in the beginning and u will be fine
04-15-2013, 06:22 PM
(04-15-2013 06:09 PM)vontman Wrote:  just disable buffered rendering in the beginning and u will be fine

Still freezes the whole emulator for the duration of the video. Well, this is nothing major, and since media stuff is being worked on right now some breakage in the git builds is to be expected.

On a more positive note some people on github seem to have pinpointed a "missing" texture issue on lighting calculations being done wrong. This may or may not be the issue that is affecting this game.
04-15-2013, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2013 10:26 PM by vontman.)
Here is a video,

PPSSPP version: v0.7.5-30
Device Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 p3100
processor : Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9
Chipset TI OMAP 4430
04-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Sad RE: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
Is there any way to get this to work?
04-17-2013, 06:20 AM
(04-16-2013 10:48 PM)ShyoticDood Wrote:  Is there any way to get this to work?
Not at the moment. Please read the replies in a tread before asking a question because most likely you'll find your answer. Kinda like how the video right above your comment shows what the gameplay looks like so far in the emulator.
04-17-2013, 11:31 AM
(04-17-2013 06:20 AM)nightmesh Wrote:  
(04-16-2013 10:48 PM)ShyoticDood Wrote:  Is there any way to get this to work?
Not at the moment. Please read the replies in a tread before asking a question because most likely you'll find your answer. Kinda like how the video right above your comment shows what the gameplay looks like so far in the emulator.

My iphone wont let me watch the video, so I asked.